PDA

View Full Version : WWII Death Count Realization..

sq764
05-31-2004, 11:12 AM
Until the other day, it never really hit me how many deaths there were due to WWII.. 407,000 US dead.. That is just astounding.. I am too young to remember this war, but the true impact just hit me while reading an article..

And more amazing (I almost don't believe this figure) - 29,000,000 Russian dead due to WWII??? 29 million??

Secretariat
05-31-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by sq764
Until the other day, it never really hit me how many deaths there were due to WWII.. 407,000 US dead.. That is just astounding.. I am too young to remember this war, but the true impact just hit me while reading an article..

And more amazing (I almost don't believe this figure) - 29,000,000 Russian dead due to WWII??? 29 million??

And that doesn't even begin to address the number of our Allies dead or AXCIS dead, or the number of civilians dead or the number of wounded as a result of that war. War will mean death. It should always be a last resort. That is why Roosevelt did not join the effort with American Troops until after Pearl Harbor when we were attacked directly by Japan. Unfortunately, it was necessary in WW II. My hat goes off to those brave men who fought over there including my own dad who still has bad dreams about Okinawa at 83 years young.

JustRalph
05-31-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Secretariat
That is why Roosevelt did not join the effort with American Troops until after Pearl Harbor when we were attacked directly by Japan.

Sec

Hap Arnold and other military planners were instructed by FDR to prepare to attack Germany several times in the two years before Pearl Harbor. The manufacture of War planes was ramped up 22 months before Pearl Harbor. It jump started the economy. Pearl Harbor hastened our entry into the war. FDR had already decided that the U.S. was going to have to enter the War to save England. He had already passed this info on to many of the English Generals and the Prime Minister. This is all documented. Some of this info comes from the files of Boeing and Lockheed who's reps met with the President at the White House 24 months before Pearl Harbor. Pearl Harbor kept FDR from having to go to the American People and seek political permission to enter the war. We would have entered the war one way or the other. Japan made it easy for FDR.

Secretariat
05-31-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Sec

Hap Arnold and other military planners were instructed by FDR to prepare to attack Germany several times in the two years before Pearl Harbor. The manufacture of War planes was ramped up 22 months before Pearl Harbor. It jump started the economy. Pearl Harbor hastened our entry into the war. FDR had already decided that the U.S. was going to have to enter the War to save England. He had already passed this info on to many of the English Generals and the Prime Minister. This is all documented. Some of this info comes from the files of Boeing and Lockheed who's reps met with the President at the White House 24 months before Pearl Harbor. Pearl Harbor kept FDR from having to go to the American People and seek political permission to enter the war. We would have entered the war one way or the other. Japan made it easy for FDR.

First, it is ludicrous to ever say Japan made it easy for FDR. Second, preparing for a war and actually entering one is two different than things. No matter what you may think of FDR and Woodrow Wilson, they waited until America was attacked before placing troops in harms way and informed Congress truthfully. And Germany declared war on us after we declared war on Japan after the Pearl Harbor attack.

But that wasn't the point of this thread, but was to give thanks to the men who served in WW II.

JustRalph
05-31-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Secretariat
First, it is ludicrous to ever say Japan made it easy for FDR. Second, preparing for a war and actually entering one is two different than things. No matter what you may think of FDR and Woodrow Wilson, they waited until America was attacked before placing troops in harms way and informed Congress truthfully. And Germany declared war on us after we declared war on Japan after the Pearl Harbor attack.

But that wasn't the point of this thread, but was to give thanks to the men who served in WW II.

I think you read the history books with your own slant. FDR was going to enter the war no matter. The Japanese attack made it easy for him to sell it to the public. You are trying to equate todays war with FDR and trying to make Bush look bad.

Back to the thread topic.....realizations..........

Try this one......... some of the men who came home were surprised to learn that their wives had divorced them while they were away. Some had to find out the hard way their wives had remarried.

This was in violation of some tenets of the Soldiers and Sailors relief act. Congress stengthened some of the laws regarding legal proceedings against active duty military members after the war. In fact under the law now, if a military wife leaves her husband who is on active duty and files for divorce, the active duty military member can delay the proceeding until he is no longer on active duty. Can you say four year enlistment? Don't ask how I know this............

Tom
05-31-2004, 05:40 PM
Sec.
What a complete hippocirt you are!
Germany did not attack Pearl Harbor.
Germany and Japan were then what Afghanistan and Irag are today.
And There is ample suspicion that the attack on PH was known in advance and allowed to happen to get us involved.

bill
05-31-2004, 06:04 PM
tom
are you saying that because the japaneese was in a meeting here that it was planned

then whynot believe we knew this time

we let the saudies fly out after it happened

Tom
05-31-2004, 08:25 PM
Bill,
I believe all muslem nations are in this to some degree. This is a holy war no matter what the government says. Al Qeada could not possibly operate as it does without support from the countries it is based in. I have never trusted Suadia Arabia and I never will.

My post about WWII, though was poke at Secretariate, who seems to be able to juggle the truth until it fits his own perverted view. Wehn confronted with information, he asks himself, :How can I interpret this so that Bush is a villina or to blame?"

IMHO we should have getten into WWII a lot earlier than we did. Hindsight is 20-20, but I can't see how anyone could not see what the japs and nazis were doing and let it happen.
I would aprreciate any thoughts from people who actually were there in the 30's and 40's.

JustRalph
05-31-2004, 09:05 PM
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/neville_chamberlain.htm

Tom
05-31-2004, 09:27 PM
Kerry/Champerlain
That's the ticket!
:D

Secretariat
06-01-2004, 01:22 AM
Let me try to make this clear Tom.

After JAPAN bombed Pearl Harbor, FDR asked for war against JAPAN, not GERMANY on December 8, 1941. In other words we declared WAR on Japan due to the attack on Pearl Harbor.

http://www.historyguy.com/day_of_infamy.html

Now, please note on the next FDR speech on December 11, 1941.

http://www.law.ou.edu/hist/germwar.html

In this speech by FDR, it begins thus:

“To the Congress of the United States:

On the morning of Dec. 11 the Government of Germany, pursuing its course of world conquest, declared war against the United States. The long-known and the long-expected has thus taken place. The forces endeavoring to enslave the entire world now are moving toward this hemisphere. Never before has there been a greater challenge to life, liberty and civilization. Delay invites great danger. Rapid and united effort by all of the peoples of the world who are determined to remain free will insure a world victory of the forces of justice and of righteousness over the forces of savagery and of barbarism. Italy also has declared war against the United States.

I therefore request the Congress to recognize a state of war between the United States and Germany, and between the United States and Italy."

Please note it states, the Government of Germany … declared war on us and that is why he is asking Congress to recognize a state of war against Germany.

I stand by my earlier post. Germany declared war on us after we declared war on Japan after Pearl Harbor.. It’s ridiculous. This has all been recorded as factual history. And as to the FDR conspiracy theory, well...have fun.

Tom
06-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Sec, you should have spun that like this-"Germany declared war on us, but they did have the means to come here to fight. We went over there to fight them. Is our government just knee-jerking and doing what the nzis tell us to do? We could have stayed home."

See how easy it is to apply your logic to history>

Secretariat
06-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Tom, even when I post FDR's exact speeches and actions it is spin to you. I don't care if you beleive it or not. Those are historical facts. Now if you want to argue that we might have gone to war with Germany without Pearl Harbor, etc, fine. I'm talking what happened without speculation and conspiracy theories. I'm done with this thread. I was just trying to honor our WW II soldiers and it got turned into this nonsense.