PDA

View Full Version : Cane Pace

RaceTrackDaddy
06-24-2015, 12:31 AM
Whose idea was it to add it to the list of top stakes run on Hambo Day?
I lost any respect for the Big M with that move. The problems began the first year after the passing of Delvin Miller.

Prior to his passing, the Big M scheduled their stakes to make sure that the big names in horses and horsemen were able to attend the day that Delvin created.

The first year after Delvin's death, the Big M moved the Hambo to race against the Adios. When the Meadows moved their day from the second Saturday in August to the first, the Big M decided to run eliminations the week prior instead of double heat racing.

Now, with the Cane Pace (actually part of the pacing triple crown) will be contest on the track that Gural built. If they elims and I expect they will, they will be week prior to August 8th. Guess what is running on August 1st? Yes, the Adios Final.

I personally will never again bet a buck on any race that the track is owned by Jeff Gural. Although I don't really support the Meadows much any more, this move of the Cane to the Big M and their scheduling it really conflicts with the Adios. I was wondering why horses like Wiggle It Jiggleit had their payments and their horse eligible in January but never made the final payment in March 2015. They knew they would be going to the Cane at the Big M.

Do as you wish but when it happens time and time again, no matter the operators of the Big M, the Meadows gets screwed. Screw the current owners/operators of the Big M.

LottaKash
06-24-2015, 02:54 AM
Screw the current owners/operators of the Big M.

I am leaning thataway these days too Bobby...

And this is coming from a longtime/diehard Big-M fan and player for years and years...

RaceTrackDaddy
06-24-2015, 02:44 PM
“There are an abundance of races for the three year old pacers over the course of the summer,” said Director of Racing Operations Darin Zoccali. “The major change to the race will be that it will not contest eliminations, which we feel will make the race more appealing to the leading three year old pacers. No eliminations will also enhance the purse of the Cane Pace Final for 2015. We will provide full details regarding the updated conditions of The Cane Pace in the near future”

http://www.drf.com/news/meadowlands-cane-pace-hambo-day-new-trainer-rules

Seeing that there are no eliminations in the Cane, there is no longer a conflict with the Adios on August 1st.

Thank you Augie for the link.

thespaah
06-24-2015, 10:24 PM
Whose idea was it to add it to the list of top stakes run on Hambo Day?
I lost any respect for the Big M with that move. The problems began the first year after the passing of Delvin Miller.

Prior to his passing, the Big M scheduled their stakes to make sure that the big names in horses and horsemen were able to attend the day that Delvin created.

The first year after Delvin's death, the Big M moved the Hambo to race against the Adios. When the Meadows moved their day from the second Saturday in August to the first, the Big M decided to run eliminations the week prior instead of double heat racing.

Now, with the Cane Pace (actually part of the pacing triple crown) will be contest on the track that Gural built. If they elims and I expect they will, they will be week prior to August 8th. Guess what is running on August 1st? Yes, the Adios Final.

I personally will never again bet a buck on any race that the track is owned by Jeff Gural. Although I don't really support the Meadows much any more, this move of the Cane to the Big M and their scheduling it really conflicts with the Adios. I was wondering why horses like Wiggle It Jiggleit had their payments and their horse eligible in January but never made the final payment in March 2015. They knew they would be going to the Cane at the Big M.

Do as you wish but when it happens time and time again, no matter the operators of the Big M, the Meadows gets screwed. Screw the current owners/operators of the Big M.
Just a minute.The Meadlowlands has since the first Hambletonian there in 1981 had a very strong stakes filled card. This is nothing new. The Cane Pace has been bounced around from one track to another has found another home at the Meadowlands. Wisely, the management put the Cane on the card with the Hambletonian....I don't see a conspiracy here.
BTW, just to show how dedicated and a bit nuts I was about this stuff. I made the trip from Northern NJ to Washington PA Twice to see the Adios. Ahh to be young and stupid...Thank goodness for Red Roof Inns and Super 8's
The Heat race format has returned for the Hambletonian.....Also...It is necessary to race the Cane Pace in August because of the traditional date of the Meadowlands Pace which always been the Third weekend in July...That's the date since the first one 38 years ago....