PDA

View Full Version : BEYER with yet another opinion

karlskorner
05-31-2004, 09:52 AM
Over on the www.drf site (URL won't wrap) scroll down to Columnists (free)

Tom
05-31-2004, 10:29 AM
I suppose we could spin this story into how our boycott csued the track to be demolished:confused:

kenwoodallpromos
05-31-2004, 12:57 PM
I thought the story was AB lauding SJ in case he wins the Belmont Stakes, then reverting back to the worn-out "the horse cannot get 1 1/2 miles due to pedigree" while ignoring Secretariat as a direct ancestor.
Meanwhile, some other columnists' headlinesa look like they are trashing SJ so they will look good if he loses and justify their salaries for 30% picks on favorites. LOL.

Latin Qtr
05-31-2004, 01:13 PM
If anyone LOOKS at the way SJ LOOKED winning the Preakness
he has to say "FEROCITY." SJ is looking to kick ass not just win.

BeatTheChalk
06-02-2004, 12:54 AM
I gave up on his " Big Race Selections " around 5 or 6 years
ago.. When he started to pick horses without the top Beyer
numbers. It made no sense to me .. still doesnt. He is gonna
be right and wrong just like every one else.

andicap
06-02-2004, 11:41 AM
I have followed Beyer closely for 25 years, since his original book came out. I always liked him and admired him, both for his outspokeness and unique approach to speed figures at the time. (I know, "pros" were doing them too, but Beyer helped racing by publicizing them.)

Anyway, I don't believe Beyer is necessarily a better handicapping than a lot of people. What has made him successful is his fearlessness at the betting window and his ability to take advantage of the hot streaks we all have.
The money he made at Saratoga one summer in the 1980s is legendary. But we all get hot one time or another. However, Beyer knows how to go for the throat when he's riding a wave, milking longshots for all they are worth.

Beyer is also excellent at exotic betting, knows how to put a good ticket together and key his top horses in pik 3s, trifectas, etc.

His single race opinions,however, have always been hit or miss. Not bad, but not any better than the top 10% of the handicappers on this board.

The fearlessness of his opinions -- "sometimes wrong, but never in doubt" -- is what makes Beyer stand out in the crowd. Of course you have to be right sometimes -- and he is, just often enough to make a lot of money at the windows.