PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose lying AGAIN!

Kash$
06-22-2015, 01:24 PM
New evidence has shown Pete Rose lied about not betting baseball as a player.Never ends with this guy..

Kash$
06-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Outside the lines has the documents,
compulsive gambler and liar.

horses4courses
06-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Specifics?

DJofSD
06-22-2015, 01:43 PM
CNBC needs a few more reporters.

horses4courses
06-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Unless it can be proven that he bet against a team
that he played for, or managed, it's not news.

PaceAdvantage
06-22-2015, 01:51 PM
that he played for, or managed, it's not news.What does it matter if he bet against his own team?

He could EASILY be hampering his own team as much if he was betting on them to WIN or LOSE...as in using resources he wouldn't normally use (thereby sacrificing future games) because he needed that WIN NOW at any cost.

horses4courses
06-22-2015, 01:58 PM
What does it matter if he bet against his own team?

He could EASILY be hampering his own team as much if he was betting on them to WIN or LOSE...as in using resources he wouldn't normally use (thereby sacrificing future games) because he needed that WIN NOW at any cost.

Stating that he is consciously hurting his team
so that they win today in order to win a bet,
or help others to win money via betting, is really reaching.
Possible, but far fetched.

Dumping games would be much easier.
Especially late in the season, with a non-contending team.

Kash$
06-22-2015, 02:01 PM
Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player, not just as a ... (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhardballtalk.nbcsports.com%2F2015 %2F06%2F22%2Freport-pete-rose-bet-on-baseball-as-a-player-not-just-as-a-manager%2F&ei=okyIVdzrIpatyAT6xqvYBw&usg=AFQjCNF0YzEmLp6HCmzMBAKvdIJyEpAU6g&bvm=bv.96339352,d.aWw)

Pete during his run at Cobb's hit record was called in by NL and was told to knock it off,but Rose was selling out stadiums so they did nothing.
Baseball turned the other way then just like they did during the steroids era

TJDave
06-22-2015, 02:19 PM
New evidence has shown Pete Rose lied about not betting baseball as a player.Never ends with this guy..

I wish I cared.

Wait...that's a lie. I don't wish.

horses4courses
06-22-2015, 02:20 PM
So, he lied about betting while he was a player.
Changes nothing, as far as I'm concerned.
We all know he's a sick **** when it comes to gambling.

Article states that there is still no proof he bet against the Reds.
I doubt there ever will be and, if such evidence surfaces,
I'm totally wrong about him, and I'll eat crow.

What do you think of owners, trainers, and jockeys,
who bet against horses they're involved with in a race?

Greyfox
06-22-2015, 02:22 PM
What do you think of owners, trainers, and jockeys,
who bet against horses they're involved with in a race?

Give them a lifetime ban from getting into the Baseball Hall of Fame, I say.:D

JustRalph
06-22-2015, 02:25 PM
Yeah, that's how he got 4256 hits. By throwing away at bats.

Or maybe playing five different positions at a high level.

Btw, A-Rod being celebrated for 3000 hits means he's only 1256 behind Rose.

tucker6
06-22-2015, 02:28 PM
Anyone with an ounce of common sense doesn't find this to be "news".

Hoofless_Wonder
06-22-2015, 02:37 PM
I wonder if Pete has reformed, and doesn't gamble any more? Seems that would be real punishment for him, versus keeping him out of a (well deserved) place in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Back in the day, Pete was occasionally spotted over at Fairmount Park when the Reds were in town to play the Cards. At least betting the ponies was legal for him - even if it was un-Fairmount.....

horses4courses
06-22-2015, 02:45 PM
I wonder if Pete has reformed, and doesn't gamble any more?

Not a chance.

I'm sure he is betting horses and dogs every chance he gets.
He needs the action.

Sports wagering is a different matter.
Probably does so occasionally, but not as much as the four legged stuff.

Much of his baseball betting, I believe, was out of sheer boredom.
At least, when he was a manager in the dugout.

In this day of cell phones, he may have gotten in even deeper.
So much easier now to bet, and I'm sure it still goes on.

Kash$
06-22-2015, 02:46 PM
Anyone with an ounce of common sense doesn't find this to be "news".

Before there wasn't any evidence of him gambling on his own team..the evidence is NEW.
Many Internet insiders..:rolleyes:

FantasticDan
06-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Yeah, that's how he got 4256 hits. By throwing away at bats. Or maybe playing five different positions at a high level.Yep, it's too bad they can't separate Rose the player from Rose the degenerate gambler.. cuz Rose the player deserves a place of very high standing in the HOF :ThmbUp:

tucker6
06-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Before there wasn't any evidence of him gambling on his own team..the evidence is NEW.
Many Internet insiders..:rolleyes:
Like I said, anyone with an ounce of common sense knew this in the 1980's. Didn't need a notebook to know this.

horses4courses
06-22-2015, 03:03 PM
I'm not close to Pete Rose.
I did, however, take race bets in a NV book from him for years.
Close to half of our dealings were before the Faye Vincent explosion.

In all that time, not once did he ever glance at the sports lines board.
Not for a line, not for a score - he never watched any type of ballgame.
Sports betting was of no interest to him - he didn't care about it.

A dog card in Fla., or the PK6 at Del Mar, or Saratoga?
He was all over it........

Robert Fischer
06-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Hit King don't need no HOF!

Hoofless_Wonder
06-22-2015, 04:43 PM
I'm not close to Pete Rose.
I did, however, take race bets in a NV book from him for years.
Close to half of our dealings were before the Faye Vincent explosion.

In all that time, not once did he ever glance at the sports lines board.
Not for a line, not for a score - he never watched any type of ballgame.
Sports betting was of no interest to him - he didn't care about it.

A dog card in Fla., or the PK6 at Del Mar, or Saratoga?
He was all over it........

How can you not like the guy, a degenerate just like us? (or at least me)

Stillriledup
06-22-2015, 05:32 PM
Why would a smart guy write 'Pete' on sheets of paper w bets? Why not a 'code name'?

_______
06-22-2015, 06:10 PM
Yep, it's too bad they can't separate Rose the player from Rose the degenerate gambler.. cuz Rose the player deserves a place of very high standing in the HOF :ThmbUp:

This is true.

It's too bad he violated a rule at the core of the games integrity and put baseball in the position having to make him an exception to do it.

thaskalos
06-22-2015, 06:36 PM
Why would a smart guy write 'Pete' on sheets of paper w bets? Why not a 'code name'?

"Pete" was framed. Everybody knows that "connected" bookies use numbers and not names to identify their customers. :ThmbDown:

magwell
06-22-2015, 06:41 PM
As long as he was betting on his teams :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

MutuelClerk
06-22-2015, 07:07 PM
I'm against Rose making the HOF. I find the timing of the release of this evidence questionable. I don't believe it just turned up. People who don't want him in the HOF have probably held this forever and played this card just as was getting back in baseball. Cruel.

thaskalos
06-22-2015, 07:24 PM
As a gambler...I must say that I am a little miffed at this "ultra hard-line" attitude that baseball has against gambling. Ty Cobb was a horrible human being...and yet, his on-the-field accomplishments were deemed too significant for him to be left out of the HOF. Rose should have received similar consideration, IMO.

horses4courses
06-22-2015, 07:33 PM
At the time this happened, what hurt Rose
the most was being banned from baseball.
At this point, he doesn't have too many working years left.

I believe that being let back into the game, and the HOF,
are separate issues. MLB commish would have to pardon
him, and then the HOF would decide later on about eligibility.

Don't hold your breath......

Valuist
06-22-2015, 07:43 PM
that he played for, or managed, it's not news.

The problem is when the manager is betting on his own team, it alters the way he manages. Rose didn't bet on every Reds game; but he easily could've manipulated his bullpen usage to help in the games he did bet. Or rest key players in those games he didn't bet.

Rose is a habitual liar, no question. But having said that, I have no problem putting him in the HoF because his accomplishments as a player warrant it. Just leave the ban in place. He wasn't going in as a manager. Should the Hall of Fame start making moral judgements? How about the Pro Football HoF allowing two time murderer OJ Simpson to stay in? Where do we draw the line? A guy is rumored to have cheated on his wife; does he get kicked out? Another guy stole a candy bar as a kid; what's the demarcation point?

thaskalos
06-22-2015, 07:54 PM
Ty Cobb used to leave the playing field, and go into the stands to beat up on black spectators...and he is in the HOF. Murderers get life imprisonment sentences...but get paroled after an X-number of years. But baseball bans Rose "for life"...and they really mean LIFE? Come on...

Kash$
06-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Baseball has had this evidence for a long time,funny right before the all star game in 2 weeks at Cincinnati is this new evidence release.

Baseball will let Rose back in baseball if it benefits them financially.

horses4courses
06-22-2015, 08:01 PM
The problem is when the manager is betting on his own team, it alters the way he manages.

Yes, it could.
That's not necessarily the case, though.

Valuist
06-22-2015, 10:53 PM
Baseball has had this evidence for a long time,funny right before the all star game in 2 weeks at Cincinnati is this new evidence release.

Baseball will let Rose back in baseball if it benefits them financially.

No doubt. Selig and others in the MLB offices knew about the steroid use long before the Mitchell Report. But they like got addicted to the added attention the home runs brought, and the money that came with it.

ronsmac
06-23-2015, 01:05 PM
As a gambler...I must say that I am a little miffed at this "ultra hard-line" attitude that baseball has against gambling. Ty Cobb was a horrible human being...and yet, his on-the-field accomplishments were deemed too significant for him to be left out of the HOF. Rose should have received similar consideration, IMO.Cobb probably was, even though there are some who have disputed some of those claims. Quite frankly most Americans were horrible human beings in those days to allow all of the injustices to go on.

tucker6
06-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Cobb probably was, even though there are some who have disputed some of those claims. Quite frankly most Americans were horrible human beings in those days to allow all of the injustices to go on.
Please explain how most Americans 'allowed' injustices to proliferate between 1910 and 1925?

ronsmac
06-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Please explain how most Americans 'allowed' injustices to proliferate between 1910 and 1925?We don't need to go into American history on a Pete Rose thread. I'm not one of these politically correct guys so I call it like it is. Our history is shameful but we would be off topic. You can look up what happened after Jack Johnson beat Jeffries to see how it was back then.

tucker6
06-23-2015, 02:18 PM
We don't need to go into American history on a Pete Rose thread. I'm not one of these politically correct guys so I call it like it is. Our history is shameful but we would be off topic. You can look up what happened after Jack Johnson beat Jeffries to see how it was back then.
Just pointing out that your statements are bombastic, over the top, and broad brushing.

PaceAdvantage
06-23-2015, 02:28 PM
As I heard on the radio today, there's only one sign hanging above every locker room entrance at every MLB club...and it says NO GAMBLING...it doesn't say NO STEROIDS...doesn't say NO BAD BEHAVIOR...doesn't say NO DRINKING...doesn't say NO DRUGS...

It only states NO GAMBLING.

There's a reason for that sign, and that's the reason Pete Rose will likely never be in the HOF.

thaskalos
06-23-2015, 02:39 PM
As I heard on the radio today, there's only one sign hanging above every locker room entrance at every MLB club...and it says NO GAMBLING...it doesn't say NO STEROIDS...doesn't say NO BAD BEHAVIOR...doesn't say NO DRINKING...doesn't say NO DRUGS...

It only states NO GAMBLING.

There's a reason for that sign, and that's the reason Pete Rose will likely never be in the HOF.
Yes, we know that...but is that FAIR? If we are resorting to hanging warning signs in locker rooms...then shouldn't we also condemn some of the more heinous crimes that star athletes have been accused of? Where are the NO KILLING, and the NO RAPING signs?

The way it appears now...one might think that gambling is the only "sin" which baseball regards unforgivable enough to keep one of its own out of its HOF for life.

Robert Fischer
06-23-2015, 02:43 PM
i like Pete Rose

he was a hell of a ball player
he's a hell of a likeable guy

but he got caught

he's 'out' , end of story

PaceAdvantage
06-23-2015, 02:52 PM
The way it appears now...one might think that gambling is the only "sin" which baseball regards unforgivable enough to keep one of its own out of its HOF for life.Clearly, that's the case, and it was never kept a secret from any player or manager. It's been this way for almost 100 years.

ronsmac
06-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Just pointing out that your statements are bombastic, over the top, and broad brushing.
Over the top, really. 1st guy pointed out Cobb 2nd guy asked about 1910. In1910 women couldn't vote for the most part, beating your wife was a private matter, whipping your kids worse than Adrian Peterson was good parenting, giving an uppity negroe a beat down was standard practice, discriminating against Jews and Catholics was expected. That's just how it was back then, that's why Cobbs on field exploits over shadowed his off field troubles.