PDA

View Full Version : Track to track adjustment

Laminarman
06-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Still working on my education here, please forgive my lack of knowledge. I'm working my way through Hambleton's Pace Makes the Race. I'm sure some of it is outdated and there are easier/more modern methods, but like basic math, I think having a foundation will help me in the long run. This is my first attention to pace analysis. The authors adjust the EPR and FFR by the track variant as listed in the DRF and apportion a percentage of it to EPR/FFR based on route vs sprint. Then, I got lost..he talked about track to track class adjustment, saying (at that time) that Prescott was "11 class ratings below Hollywood Park" so an adjustment was made for that as well.... Is that a separate adjustment? I assume this addresses the shipper coming from a faster or slower track and who runs there. Where do I get updated track to track class adjustments? Is this necessary? I would think so but I'm a bit unclear.

Please keep in mind, I am NOT defending the authors or their methods. I'm simply learning. After I learn to do this quickly by hand and calculator I'll look at programs..etc but I really want to know the basics to build on. You horse bettors are an odd lot and now I'm becoming one of you. Dang it.

Dave Schwartz
06-22-2015, 02:03 AM
You get the Track-to-Track Adjustments from me.

Dave Schwartz's Par Times (http://store.thehorsehandicappingauthority.com/par-times-etc/)

Published annually in March.

Appy
06-22-2015, 08:19 PM
"You horse bettors are an odd lot and now I'm becoming one of you. Dang it."

:D :D :ThmbUp:

JustCoolGene
06-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Check out American Turf Monthly 2015 Track Equalization Chart.

https://www.americanturf.com/equalization/index.cfm?showchart=1

Hope it helps,
Gene

pandy
06-22-2015, 09:49 PM
You get the Track-to-Track Adjustments from me.

Dave Schwartz's Par Times (http://store.thehorsehandicappingauthority.com/par-times-etc/)

Published annually in March.

Schwartz's track to track pars are the best in the business. When I first started using them years ago my numbers improved tremendously.

Light
06-22-2015, 10:49 PM
Get a hold of "Modern Pace Handicapping", by Tom Brohamer. See chapter XI. Basically you make a par for a particular class and distance for the tracks you are interested in. Then compare and adjust accordingly.

Laminarman
06-23-2015, 07:05 AM
Schwartz's track to track pars are the best in the business. When I first started using them years ago my numbers improved tremendously.

I'm not quite sure how to apply them however. I'm going to re-read the chapter in Brohamers book on it, somehow I got lost or confused.

Ted Craven
06-23-2015, 01:56 PM
FWIW, and in case it wasn't clear in another recent thread about Total Pace Ratings (TPR) - RDSS calculates the EPR, the FFR (aka LPR) and TPR (aka CPR) and the E/L Differential between EPR and LPR (Early versus Late energy disbursement) from raw times adjusted by a Track-to-Track variant and a Daily Track Variant supplied by TrackMaster, and a distance equalization formula. This has been a part of Sartin software for about 20 years.

Here is a thread from 2013 with illustrative screenshots of the TPR numbers and an analysis of an interesting race:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1415905&postcount=41

I can't really help in advising how to take various publishers' Track-toTrack adjustment tables and extract a differential which you would then turn into a TPR points adjustment to make lines from one track comparable to lines from another track. To understand the concept beneath the Total Pace Ratings methodology, you could try various approaches from various reputable vendors (e.g. Dave Schwartz) yourself until you got the drift.

Then - once you know how things work under the hood, you could just get some software to do the computational heavy lifting for you. Just like we don't make our own computers or cameras or guitars - we accept functional tools created by others THEN apply our unique human creativity to USING the tools to get a job done (e.g. finding good wagers).

FWIW. (The Total Pace Rating method IS called 'An Introduction to the Sartin Methodology' - in the Original Edition.)

Ted

JohnGalt1
06-24-2015, 04:28 PM
Since I try to keep things simple, I find using the $10k claiming price to compare track to track. Don't forget to factor in the variants.

I've read that by many authors and handicappers, and it works for me.

I use a universal par chart I made that 1:10 is a 95 on my chart.

In my ratings using $10k claiming and average for the year DRF variants, Canterbury is 88, Fonner is 78 and Turf Paradise is 98 for sprints. Arlington is 88 except for 7f 84 and 7.5f 81.

It's quick and accurate.

Good luck in your track to track, distance to distance figuring.