PDA

View Full Version : North Amer. Cup

pandy
06-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Don't forget the North American Cup tonight, Mohawk. I picked Artspeak from post 10. Very good race, in my opinion.

Last night Doo Wop Hanover won the Graduate at the Meadowlands and set a world record for a mile and an eighth. Great drive by Campbell. He went first over but just lagged on the rim until the pace started to slow then he rushed into contention. He also upset Father Patriot with J L Cruze in the trot.

MutuelClerk
06-20-2015, 10:54 AM
Scott Zeron from post 10? A former poster would be going off on you Pandy. Have to admit I'm not the biggest Zeron fan but I agree with you. I think he's the best horse with the worst post. Think he'll 3-1 or higher?

pandy
06-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Scott Zeron from post 10? A former poster would be going off on you Pandy. Have to admit I'm not the biggest Zeron fan but I agree with you. I think he's the best horse with the worst post. Think he'll 3-1 or higher?

I don't know, they made him 5-1. Wiggle It will probably be way overbet and there are two other solid contenders so I would think he'll be at least 3-1.

Zeron is 14th in North America right now (earnings), same as he finished last year, so he's having a very good year, again. Gingras is the leading driver at the Meadowlands but Zeron is in a virtual tie for second with four other drivers.

jtschmidt
06-20-2015, 11:35 AM
Love Weeper and Artspeak!

Sinner369
06-20-2015, 11:47 AM
In a million dollar race the pace should be very fast so Artspeak and the other closers like Was Hanover should have a big shot..........only caveat is if Wiggle IT proves to be a super horse and can sit in the 2nd or 3rd hole.

jtschmidt
06-20-2015, 12:09 PM
$100 bankroll.

Race 9 $25 win :7: Weeper (6/1)
Race 12 $25 win :10: Artspeak (5/1)

Race 9 $0.40 Pick 4:

:2: :5: :7: :8: :9:
:2: :5: :7: :8: :10:
:5:
:2: :5:

$1 Pick 4:
:2: :5: :8: :9:
:10:

$2 Pick 4:
:7:
:10:

Goodluck to all. Do not get too caught up in eliminations! Everyone wants the glory in the finals.

Joey

jtschmidt
06-20-2015, 12:15 PM
In a million dollar race the pace should be very fast so Artspeak and the other closers like Was Hanover should have a big shot..........only caveat is if Wiggle IT proves to be a super horse and can sit in the 2nd or 3rd hole.

I would be very shocked if WIJI is not on the lead turning for home. The confidence from Teagues and his prior races tell me he will be upfront. My guess is that it will take him two moves to be there and he will be posting a 21 and change three quarters mark. Hoping he gets gobbled up in last eighth!!!

mrroyboy
06-20-2015, 02:30 PM
Wiggle it is a super horse. I hope they can keep him healthy and fit. If they do he will break every record. I haven't enjoyed watching a horse like this since See you at Peelers.

Sinner369
06-20-2015, 11:07 PM
Wiggle it is a super horse. I hope they can keep him healthy and fit. If they do he will break every record. I haven't enjoyed watching a horse like this since See you at Peelers.

Wiggle might still be a "super horse" but you cannot cut out fast fractions like tonight and remain unbeaten. Tetrick did a masterful job sitting behind the leader and got the golden trip.

pandy
06-20-2015, 11:11 PM
I don't think he's a super horse, but he proved something tonight, which was his first start against real competition, a strong mile for sure. But if he was a super horse he would have won. Nihilator, Niatross, Cam Fella, Bret Hanover, they were virtually unbeatable. There aren't many super horses.

cmp92
06-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Wiggle might still be a "super horse" but you cannot cut out fast fractions like tonight and remain unbeaten. Tetrick did a masterful job sitting behind the leader and got the golden trip.
Right. Wakizashi went just as fast, but at least he had a horse to cover him up.

cmp92
06-21-2015, 12:37 PM
Overall, it was a fun night. Mohawk is a great harness racing venue. The place was packed, but I thought it was less crowded than the year or two before. They started early and the big races were done around 11, felt like they moved along pretty quickly.

Didn't have much luck last night, but still had a good time.

Sinner369
06-21-2015, 03:06 PM
Right. Wakizashi went just as fast, but at least he had a horse to cover him up.

cmp92.....Do you know the difference between cutting the pace and sitting behind the pace..........in harness racing?

If you do........tell me?

cmp92
06-21-2015, 07:07 PM
cmp92.....Do you know the difference between cutting the pace and sitting behind the pace..........in harness racing?

If you do........tell me?
I didn't mean he was literally going as fast, just a tick or two slower. Wakizashi had the benefit of being covered up.

Sinner369
06-21-2015, 08:12 PM
I didn't mean he was literally going as fast, just a tick or two slower. Wakizashi had the benefit of being covered up.

Thank you........it's called the perfect trip.........sitting behind the front runner and letting the leader take all the abuse, trying to repel the other horses while you are drafting in the second hole.

What did Wiggle IT lose by?..........3/4 of a length.

Sea Biscuit
06-22-2015, 05:02 AM
I don't think he's a super horse, but he proved something tonight, which was his first start against real competition, a strong mile for sure. But if he was a super horse he would have won. Nihilator, Niatross, Cam Fella, Bret Hanover, they were virtually unbeatable. There aren't many super horses.

Thats right. He is not a super horse. I think average would be the right for him. He got away with a slow 55.4 middle half and still he coughed up the race.

I took out a thread at B2W three days in advance of the NA cup race and predicted Wakizashi Hanover as the winner with plenty of reasons why I picked him. If you care to read the thread here is the link

http://www.barntowire.com/smf/index.php?topic=71794.msg804037#msg804037

pandy
06-22-2015, 06:23 AM
Thats right. He is not a super horse. I think average would be the right for him. He got away with a slow 55.4 middle half and still he coughed up the race.

I took out a thread at B2W three days in advance of the NA cup race and predicted Wakizashi Hanover as the winner with plenty of reasons why I picked him. If you care to read the thread here is the link

http://www.barntowire.com/smf/index.php?topic=71794.msg804037#msg804037

Good pick. I thought Teague used him too hard in the first quarter, which didn't help. I could see different horses taking turns winning the three year old stakes races this year.

Sea Biscuit
06-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Good pick. I thought Teague used him too hard in the first quarter, which didn't help. I could see different horses taking turns winning the three year old stakes races this year.

Thanks. We'll be hearing from Artspeak in the near future. In the cup final poor post and poor racing luck resulted in the 5th placing. Not only was he parked the whole mile but he had to deal with that straggler #9 horse who was parked f/o throughout the mile.

Pandy I know its still too early, but what do you think of WIJI chances in the Meadowlands pace are.

I give him no chance after the poor Mohawk showing.

pandy
06-22-2015, 10:02 AM
I don't know. Coming into the race I thought he'd probably lose since it was such a big step up in class, but I thought he raced well. It's tough to overcome a :25.1 first quarter. Montrell had said that his horse prefers to race off a helmet but then he gunned him to the lead, so if he's right, maybe he'll have a chance to win with different tactics.

outofthebox
06-22-2015, 10:36 AM
Thanks. We'll be hearing from Artspeak in the near future. In the cup final poor post and poor racing luck resulted in the 5th placing. Not only was he parked the whole mile but he had to deal with that straggler #9 horse who was parked f/o throughout the mile.

Pandy I know its still too early, but what do you think of WIJI chances in the Meadowlands pace are.

I give him no chance after the poor Mohawk showing.Congrats on the pick and cash Biscuit. I thought both colts ran terrific. I wouldn't call WIJI coughing it up and a poor showing though. Like you said earlier we will hear more from others who had trouble, could be a great Meadowlands Pace. I always enjoy reading posts from you and Pandy. You both bring a lot to the table with your knowledge of the game...

mrroyboy
06-22-2015, 01:24 PM
I was impressed by that 149 at Harrington. That should have translated to about 147 at Mohawk but that didn't happen.
It's possible we will see the best of WIJI next year when he is 4.I love watching speed records broken.

RaceTrackDaddy
06-24-2015, 12:09 AM
Personally, I have seen Nihilator live in person race three times. He was not the winner or the fastest on those given days.

Day 1: Breeders Crown at the Mea going against Dragons Lair in the final heat, Nihilator was lucky to get third place that night in the final.

Day 2: The Meadows in the Adios the year later when he would not come out for the match race with Marauder leaving the latter to have a walk over to win the Adios Trophy. In his elimination I recall that Lou Guida entered four other horse that ran as an entry in the first heat.

Day 3: At the Jug where he won easily but that was the day another three year old stole the show when Roger announced, "“If you have never been on your feet before…you better stand up now!” when Tom Harmer was running a world record with Falcon Seelster in 1:51:0 on that half mile track. Think Nilhilator won his fastest heat in 1:52:1 or so.. others may put the son of Niatross in that category; but seeing him in person, I think otherwise.

pandy
06-24-2015, 06:49 AM
Personally, I have seen Nihilator live in person race three times. He was not the winner or the fastest on those given days.

Day 1: Breeders Crown at the Mea going against Dragons Lair in the final heat, Nihilator was lucky to get third place that night in the final.

Day 2: The Meadows in the Adios the year later when he would not come out for the match race with Marauder leaving the latter to have a walk over to win the Adios Trophy. In his elimination I recall that Lou Guida entered four other horse that ran as an entry in the first heat.

Day 3: At the Jug where he won easily but that was the day another three year old stole the show when Roger announced, "“If you have never been on your feet before…you better stand up now!” when Tom Harmer was running a world record with Falcon Seelster in 1:51:0 on that half mile track. Think Nilhilator won his fastest heat in 1:52:1 or so.. others may put the son of Niatross in that category; but seeing him in person, I think otherwise.

The reason why I thought that Nihilator was better than Niatross was that Nihilator faced one of the greatest crops in history, including the horses you mentioned, and he beat great horses like Falcon Seelster and Dragon's Lair. He only lost 3 races in 35 starts.

Nihilator faced some of the toughest fields of two and three year olds in the history of the sport. Falcon Seelster, Dragon's Lair, Dignitarian, Pershing Square...I can't remember them all, there was another top horse driven by Lucien Fontaine who was a top pacer, several others. After losing the BCrown as a two year old, he won it as a three year old, his last race. Of course he was the first horse to ever win two million dollar races, the Wilson and the Big M Pace, plus he won the LIttle Brown Jug and the Breeders Crown.

I wrote a column about the crop once and I think there were 7 millionaire pacers in that crop, amazing.

There are a lot of similarities between Niatross and Nihilator. They had very similar records. For instance, Niatross won 37 races in two years, Nihilator won 35 races in two years. Niatross skipped the Adios so like Nihilator, he did not set a season's record over a 5/8's track. Niatross was the first horse to break the 1:50 barrier, Nihilator was the first horse to break the 1:49 barrier with 1:49.1 and 1:49.3 wins. Dragon's Lair never faced Nihilator as a three year old.

I just remembered Fontaine's horse, Forrest Skipper, another great horse that Nihilator beat.

pandy
06-24-2015, 07:42 AM
They did $4.3 million at Mohawk Saturday, up 24% from last year and the highest handle ever for the North American Cup. The previous record was $3.8 million at Woodbine in 2005. Handle on the North American race itself was over $680k, almost 44% higher than last year, which is incredible. All this with only 12,000 in attendance.

So there are still some harness racing fans out there.

outofthebox
06-28-2015, 11:22 AM
Anybody catch the Hemp elims at Pocono last night? Just seeing results but no footage..

cmp92
06-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Anybody catch the Hemp elims at Pocono last night? Just seeing results but no footage..
Yes.

Wiggle It settled in mid-pack, then made a brush to the lead just before the half. Won easily, no encouragement.

Artspeak went to the lead, In the Arsenal sat in the pocket. I can't remember who, but someone came first over and got awfully close to Artspeak. In the Arsenal made up ground in the passing lane, but Artspeak head on by a head.

Wakizashi went to the lead. Dave Miller's horse challenged and TT let him go and sat the pocket. Wakizashi went right by in the passing lane and won by about 2 lengths.

Sea Biscuit
06-28-2015, 12:21 PM

You can watch the replays at this link

http://mohegansunpocono.com/racing/latest.html#race-replays

RaceTrackDaddy
06-28-2015, 03:13 PM

Saw this post via email, went and captured the divisions and posted it in one file at youtube.

https://youtu.be/-tLvFsXHXGk

outofthebox
06-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys....

Muddy
07-15-2015, 12:56 AM

I give him no chance after the poor Mohawk showing.Wow good call here! No Chance Huh? Probably go off @ 3-5 and win by 2 or 3.