PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning angle

Jed
05-30-2004, 09:59 PM
In the 80's before the published Beyer figs I used to use a conditioning angle with the DRF figs and the so-called daily varience. In the hope of spotting a horse with improving figs I gave more weight to the fig with the higher varience than one with the lower varience.

I know that some of us used to add the DRF figure and the daily varience together for an adjusted fig. After that more attention was given to races with a higher varience. An improving series of figs would sometimes show a stepping, or two steps forward and one step back improvement cycle. Sort of a move forward or two and then a rest. It used to be a nice way of spotting improving horses. Somehow I have moved away from using it after the Beyer figs started being published.

Has anybody used something similar to this?

-Jed

Tom
05-30-2004, 10:08 PM
That is exactly how I use the Beyers/Cramers.PAc-Per HTR numbers- to decide how a horse is going to run today.
If you haven't read Joe Cardello's book about Beyer numbers from DRF PRess, you would probably enjoy it. There is a lot in there about using Beyers for form cycles.