PDA

View Full Version : David Jacobson

Harvhorse
06-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Today I am watching the Belmont simulcast and on the screen appears a notice that David Jacobson needs one win to be a one thousand win trainer. The announcement has a picture of a young handsome guy with lots of hair. Now I have been watching NYRA races for many years and any time I saw Jacobson in the paddock or winners circle he was bald headed and had a limp. As luck woul have it Jacobson wins right off the bat and they announce that the bald guy with the limp accepting the accolade is his assistant trainer. Now I must inquire, all these years David Jacobson does not daddies his own horses or appear in the winners circle? Indeed this is quite a mystery.

bello
06-18-2015, 10:20 PM
It's always the bald latino guy saddling the horses as greeting them in the winners circle. I don't think David Jacobsen exists.

Maybe you saw pictures of his Dad Buddy Jacobsen....Fits your description more.

Tall One
06-18-2015, 10:32 PM
It's always the bald latino guy saddling the horses as greeting them in the winners circle. I don't think David Jacobsen exists.

Maybe you saw pictures of his Dad Buddy Jacobsen....Fits your description more.

Watched Migliore interview David outside the Aqu winner's circle on the replay show. He's got hair and everything. :)

Since you mentioned the father, here's his obituary from the NY Times:

I don't even like horses (http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/17/obituaries/buddy-jacobson-horse-trainer-and-convicted-slayer-dies-at-58.html)

bello
06-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Tall One, not to bust the thread, but I see you are from Lexington. This Past Sunday, I drove home from Downs After Dark through Lexington to avoid Bonaroo traffic and found this great little restaurant called the Lexington Diner. Their KY Bourbon Burger may have been the best Burger experience of my life.

Give it a shot,

Tall One
06-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Awesome little spot, bello. I work a few blocks down from there, and hands down one of the best burgers I've had. The Short Street burger is just a nose behind it, IMO.

Also, their breakfast, namely the homemade biscuits and sausage gravy with home fries, will fill you up until supper time.

Breeders Cup visitors, take notes.. :ThmbUp:

RunDustyRun
01-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Jacobson has brought a string to Santa Anita and despite many of his horses taking action, they have not run a lick...have to think he will rebound and there should be some overlays soon...my question to east coast betters is is there anything to look for in his runners...training patterns, up in class, down in class...he has also claimed at least three in the 25-40 range...anything to look for there? I understand that he is not well thought of but any info would be appreciated. thanks

Grits
01-19-2016, 01:26 PM
Also, their breakfast, namely the homemade biscuits and sausage gravy with home fries, will fill you up until supper time.
Breeders Cup visitors, take notes.. :ThmbUp:

T.O., you Kentuckians love that white sausage gravy and biscuit stuff...when I lived in Lexington I saw men and women eating it often. Heart attack waiting to happen! STOP IT!! Don't want you to go before your time--decades away. ;)

Grits
01-19-2016, 01:30 PM
Jacobson has brought a string to Santa Anita and despite many of his horses taking action, they have not run a lick...have to think he will rebound and there should be some overlays soon...my question to east coast betters is is there anything to look for in his runners...training patterns, up in class, down in class...he has also claimed at least three in the 25-40 range...anything to look for there? I understand that he is not well thought of but any info would be appreciated. thanks

Keep in mind? If they take a nosedive in class. Bet your house and your lungs. :lol:

no breathalyzer
01-19-2016, 02:03 PM
In NY his up in class horses get over looked many times and pay pretty well at times.. still depends on the horse and trainer claimed off of.. that's why it pays to know the circuit really well for the track you invest in. Since he is new out there he might need some time to get accumulated on how to play the claiming game out there.

senortout
01-19-2016, 02:31 PM
What's D.Jacobsen even doing out on left coast? The $$ for the type of horses he runs, claimers for the most part,...that $$ is much much better in NY. Strange if you ask me. And then, there's the question of which of his assistants is being groomed by managing a small string out there?....please shed me some light here.

Tom
01-19-2016, 03:22 PM
Keep in mind? If they take a nosedive in class. Bet your house and your lungs. :lol:

I bet my lungs on a horse once, Grits. He lost because I didn't have the wind to root him home! :mad:

cj
01-19-2016, 04:22 PM

I saw he did win one at Golden Gate.

EMD4ME
01-19-2016, 06:39 PM
I saw he did win one at Golden Gate.

Another reason to never bet that track :D

eqitec
01-19-2016, 08:39 PM
Here's a representative sample of 102 winners trained by David Jacobson.
The tracks where the wins occurred are shown. The class status conclusions are supported by software, but confirmed by visual inspection of the winners' PPs.

Stillriledup
01-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Another reason to never bet that track :D

Jacobson isn't a trainer that makes me want to bet that track if he's there. If I currently bet the track and he shows up, I probably won't stop betting the place, but I would be more likely to bet a race if he's not in it.

RunDustyRun
01-20-2016, 12:52 PM
thanks to those who responded....will be interesting to see when and if the drops start...some of his horses were coming off long lay-offs and he claimed three right at the start of the meet...I assume based on prior works that he normally works his horses slow? As others have noted, may be a better idea to pass races where he has horses entered but I'm hoping to find an overlay in the pick 5

Tall One
01-20-2016, 01:53 PM

I've noticed he's claimed horses out there, and brought them back east off the layoff. Might be worth a note or two in that regard, RDR.

JohnGalt1
01-20-2016, 08:03 PM

It may be harder for him to compete since his horses are getting 3 furlong workouts, (at least those that I've noticed,) when the locals are working theirs 5 and 6 furlongs.

eqitec
01-20-2016, 09:47 PM
From my private research, here's the breakdown of the top 10 last workouts, if any, of a representative sample of 130 winners trained by David Jacobson. This sample does not exclude 1st-time starters or horses which haven't run in the last 90 days.

All workouts are breezes on dirt. Of course on west coast, they will all be handy works; gate workouts are rare.

No workouts before win - 31.5%
Last workout before wins:
3 days before - 4F - 8.5%
2 days before - 3F - 7.7%
4 days before - 3F - 6.9%
3 days before - 3F - 5.4%
5 days before - 3F - 3.8%
4 days before - 4F - 3.1%
8 days before - 3F - 3.1%
10 days before - 3F - 3.1%
13 days before - 3F - 3.1%

These top ten account for 76.2% of Jacobson's total wins.

Workouts 3 days or less before the win account for 21.6% in the top ten of the Jacobson sample.

By contrast, workouts 3 days or less before the win account for 1.8% of 5343 wins in the research database of horses trained by others.

RunDustyRun
01-21-2016, 10:55 AM
equitec,

really appreciate the info you have provided...he has two running tomorrow, including one first off the claim...he's jumping in class and stretching out...claimed off of Desourmeaux, so I think that's an upgrade...need to dive in to the stats you have provided

GatetoWire
01-22-2016, 09:14 AM
BTW back to the original post. The bald guy with the limp who always saddles and is in the winners circle is Paul Wilson one of his assistants.