PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Laptop Recommendations

badcompany
06-18-2015, 04:54 PM
Looking for a backup laptop for times when I need a second screen and, to take on the road. Nothing fancy or high end required, just basics.

A few years ago, I bought a mini tablet from Asus for $150, and, have been very happy with it.

Any thoughts on this one, or have a better alternative?

Thanks

JustRalph
06-18-2015, 08:51 PM
I have an older version of that laptop. Love it until I bought a bigger better Lenovo. But the Lenovo was $500 more.

The nice thing about Amazon, if you don't like it........return it.

Flysofree
06-18-2015, 10:27 PM
Is Lenova considered a high end computer? Would it be equivalent or higher than an HP in price ? I'm going to be looking soon also.

plainolebill
06-19-2015, 03:31 AM
Is Lenova considered a high end computer? Would it be equivalent or higher than an HP in price ? I'm going to be looking soon also.

Just my opinion, I don't consider anything HP makes as being high end. Lenovo bought IBM's notebook business - I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

*That's a vote of confidence from a former employee of HP's manufacturing business.

MJC922
06-19-2015, 06:16 AM
I'm not impressed by the reliability of any of these machines lately. Dell and Lenovo have slipped so 'second tier' like Asus really isn't so much worse anymore. I still look to Dell first but there's no good reason to.

Flysofree
06-19-2015, 07:29 AM
Thanks..HP is not what it used to be long ago. I have had 3 desktop HP's and the quality has slipped slightly with each one, yet it holds up. I have a much newer Toshiba laptop, but I got a very small screen which was a mistake. It's not bad, but I think the fan runs a little too often on some days.. Other days I don't hear it at all... My confidence level is not super high, but it may be ok.
I just don't want one of the cheap-cheap models of a computer because I'm never 100% sure I know what I'm doing to start with. The name Lenovo, sounds good, while I have never heard of it.

badcompany
06-19-2015, 07:47 AM
I'm not impressed by the reliability of any of these machines lately. Dell and Lenovo have slipped so 'second tier' like Asus really isn't so much worse anymore. I still look to Dell first but there's no good reason to.

I have a Dell, too, and feel the same way, especially since my Asus tablet has performed so well.

Thanks for the input, all.

forced89
06-19-2015, 09:34 AM
I buy a new laptop every 3 years or so. It depends on when my current one starts having major problems. Best I have done is about 5 years, worst was about 18 months. Right now my 18 month old Asus X54C is working like a champ. I try to pay around $300 when I buy. Paid $375 for my ASUS but cost was inflated because it had Windows 7 installed. Everything else available was Windows 8 which I didn't want.

PaceAdvantage
06-19-2015, 03:49 PM
I have a Dell, too, and feel the same way, especially since my Asus tablet has performed so well.

Thanks for the input, all.I bought an ASUS all-in-one...looks like a giant tablet and acts like one too...it has a 19.5" screen...runs for 5 hours on its battery...but it broke within a couple of months...some really weird "sleep" problem, where it would go to sleep and I had to run the battery all the way down to get it to turn completely off(while it was sleeping...tough to do, but luckily, the USB ports were still active, so I hooked up a hard drive which spun and some USB-powered lights that drained the battery in about 24 hours)...holding the power button down did nothing...it did not cause a hard shutdown...draining the battery was the only way.

And this only worked once. The second time this happened, I was unable to get the machine out of sleep mode at all...even with a dead battery...so I had to ship it back to ASUS...took them almost a month to get it back to me, but it appears to be working now...

For what it's worth re: ASUS quality...

badcompany
06-19-2015, 03:59 PM
19.5 is beyond what I need. I'm looking for something I can easily stick in a backpack.

Sounds like yours had a manufacturing defect, bad luck if you will. As Ralph said, Amazon has a great return policy if I get a lemon.

PaceAdvantage
06-19-2015, 04:23 PM
19.5 is beyond what I need. I'm looking for something I can easily stick in a backpack.

Sounds like yours had a manufacturing defect, bad luck if you will. As Ralph said, Amazon has a great return policy if I get a lemon.I wasn't recommending it for you...it's not cheap, that's for sure...$800+...just offering a comment on my personal experience with ASUS build quality...

HoofedInTheChest
06-19-2015, 04:39 PM
The Asus laptop you posted looks like a really good deal, the specs are good and you can't beat the price. I bought an Asus tablet last month and i'm very happy with it, i have had good experiences with their products. As well i recently bought the new Asus Zenfone 2 and i absolutely love it, and the price was jaw dropping cheap.

I was reading up on this hybrid last night, it looks interesting but the specs aren't as good as the laptop you posted, and is slightly more expensive.

http://www.slashgear.com/hps-299-pavilion-x2-tablet-hybrid-blew-me-away-18389049/

DeltaLover
06-19-2015, 05:07 PM
I wasn't recommending it for you...it's not cheap, that's for sure...$800+...just offering a comment on my personal experience with ASUS build quality...

In this price levels I strongly suggest:

https://system76.com/laptops/gazelle

Kash$
06-19-2015, 08:55 PM
In this price levels I strongly suggest:

https://system76.com/laptops/gazelle

Delta do you own one?It looks like this laptop is loaded.

DeltaLover
06-19-2015, 09:21 PM
Delta do you own one?It looks like this laptop is loaded.

Yes. It is a very good laptop..

Canarsie
06-20-2015, 09:42 AM
I have an older version of that laptop. Love it until I bought a bigger better Lenovo. But the Lenovo was $500 more.

The nice thing about Amazon, if you don't like it........return it.

I also bought a similar laptop from Asus 18 months ago. No problems at all its main use is watching video and my sports packages when no tv is available. It has performed flawlessly and has done everything I asked it to do.

I paid $400 for mine during a super sale so this is a really nice deal. I don't know if Visa is still offering a free extended year warranty on it if you use their card. It's worth a little effort to see if its still in effect and you are going to use that card.