PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Thursday, June 18

Teach
06-18-2015, 07:27 AM
No MTOs, today! It looks like Belmont Park's perfect turf attendance record lives. Showers skirting the L.I.'s South Coast, e.g., Long Beach, Oceanside, etc. I'll be back with my handicapping selections and ramblings around noon.

Teach
06-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Race One:

:6: Dariel beat slightly weaker in her last at this same sprint distance. This Gulch-bred filly should be sitting in a solid stalking position from her outside post. This sprint shapes up similarly to this filly’s last win in early May when she won by four lengths. Apprentice Eric Cancel has been a solid addition to the NYRA jockey colony. He booted home two winners on yesterday’s card. This 3-year-old was recently claimed by trainer Abigail Adsit. Trainer Adsit does reasonably well with horses who are winners in their last race.
Others: :4: Partytime Chill; :5: Midnight Champagne; :2: Fiery Cat

Race Two:

:6: Miracle Girl is my pick in this 2-year-old MSW sprint. My reasoning stems from this chestnut filly’s lineage. There are sires and dams that have a history of doing well in producing foals that win at first asking. Two names, among many, that stand out are: Johannesburg and Pulpit. I don’t know the origin of the horse’s name, however, this filly’s trainer, Kathy (Petro) Ritvo, suffered from cardiomyopathy and is the recipient of a heart transplant. Her son, Michael, is in the irons. Her husband, Tim, is president of Gulfstream Park. The Petro and Ritvo surnames are an integral part of the history of Suffolk Downs.
Others: :3: Positively Royal; :5: More That Lily; :2: Truly Bound

Race Three:

In this 6-furlongs claiming sprint, my pick is the rail horse, :1: Classic Salsa. This Wildcat heir-bred 4-year-old raced a little over a week ago at Monmouth, a race in which this colt finished third against weaker. Yet, in what I perceive as a relatively weak field, this Two Step Salsa-bred stands out. One thing that appears certain is that this colt should be out and winging when the gates opening; he should be playing catch me if you can right from the get-go. The colt’s jockey, Angel Cruz, will have to harness that speed for this Petionville-bred to prevail. David Jacobson owns and trains this Wildcat Affair’s offspring.

Others: :4: Bet the Power; :6: Sir Bond; :5: Nubin Ridge.

Race Four:

We’re on the turf for the first time on today’s card, a 7-panels maiden-claiming turf sprint on The Widener. My pick is a medium longshot, at least from NYRA oddsmaker Eric Donovan’s early assessment. I’m talking about :9: Momma’s Mark. This Unbridled’s Song-bred roan gelding was last seen on the race track about a month and one-half ago finishing third at Belmont in a one-mile route against similar. This Marquetry-bred gelding now cuts back a panel – that may help – in search of his first pari-mutuel win. I believe this colt is now at a level where he can win (up until his last race he was running in MSW company). Jim Ryerson – he does well with 2nd off a layoff – trains for Patricia Generazio. Jose Lezcano, the former Suffolk Downs apprentice, reprises the ride.

Others: :8: A Marked Man; :2: Sunny Aftermoon; :3: Dr. K’eogh

Race Five:

In this one-mile lower-level claiming route, I like :5: Springcourt has faced better in the past. This 7-year-old gelding is dropping to a level where he should be able to compete quite well. This Forty Niner-bred does particularly well both at the one-mile distance and as a runner at Belmont Park. The DRF does note: “Suspicious drop in class today”. Rudy Rodriguez trains this Distorted Humor-bred. Rodriguez does an outstanding job with drops off a claim. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons.

Others: :8: Playing a Joke; :6: Cosmic Coincidence; :4: Call for the Clock.

Race Six:

In this allowance sprint on The Inner Turf Course, I like :10: Scatcapade. This Scat Daddy-bred was fourth in a similar race at Belmont in late April. I believe the outside post-draw will help this filly in her quest to get her picture taken. Christophe Clement – he does very well in most racing categories – is this filly’s conditioner. Irad Ortiz, Jr. reprises the ride.

Others: :7: Lady of Victory; :8: Justoneofakind; :4: My Cara Mia

Race Seven:

:1a: Let’s Wrap It Up is my choice in this claiming turf route on The Widener. This chestnut gelding has a solid turf pedigree, especially on the Sire’s side of the family, e.g., Leroidesanimaux. This 3-year-old now drops back in for a tag after facing allowance types in his last. This should be a field this Candy Stripes-bred can handle. The gelding has hit the tote in three out of five lifetime turf starts. Javier Castellano is in the stirrups for trainer Phil Serpe.

Others: :4: Now We Are Free; :7: Blazing Truth; :3: Marvino

Race Eight:

:6: Bakken is my choice in this optional claimer. The hopes and aspirations so many had for this Distorted Humor-bred when he first raced back in the fall of 2013 at both Belmont and Aqueduct. Yet, after that most promising start, there have been fits and starts. This Forty-Niner-bred just hasn’t been able to put it all together. I thought this 5-year-old looked good in his most recent start finishing second by less than a length against similar company. If he’s heading in the right direction, which he appears to be, he should prevail over this field. Chad Brown trains; he does well with horses that have been away from the track and in allowance races. Irad Ortiz, Jr, is in the irons.

Others: :4: Catron; :5: Loki’s Vengeance; :3: Doubledown Again

Race Nine:

In the finale, a MSW nine-panels turf route on The Inner, I like the outside horse, :10: Kilo. Admittedly, this is a longshot try, a gambler’s throw, that this Mr. Prospector-bred will wake up and get all the enchiladas. Yes, this 4-year-old chestnut gelding has been away from the races for many a fortnight. He was last seen perambulating on the racetrack at Oldsmar, FL back in late April. This Kitalpha-bred has tried the lawn on three occasions; he does have one a third-place finish to his credit. I like the fact that his new trainer, Eskei Beech, does well with shippers. Andre Worrie is in the irons.

Others: :9: Space Oddity; :2: Bugle Blues; :6: Talladega.

PhantomOnTour
06-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Tough for me to find a good play today...maybe Dr. K'eogh in the 4th

PhantomOnTour
06-18-2015, 12:56 PM
I'll give Scarly Charly a shot in R8...10-1 ML