PDA

View Full Version : Biggest liar in the world taking over MSNBC

JustRalph
06-17-2015, 11:53 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/17/media/brian-williams-nbc/index.html

How perfectly appropriate!!

:lol:

"So what will Williams do? His portfolio will include a position on MSNBC, NBC's struggling cable news channel. "He will be the face of MSNBC," handling big breaking news stories, one of the people said on condition of anonymity."

Clocker
06-18-2015, 12:05 AM

"So what will Williams do? His portfolio will include a position on MSNBC, NBC's struggling cable news channel. "He will be the face of MSNBC," handling big breaking news stories, one of the people said on condition of anonymity."

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. At MSNBC, Williams would be the epitome of integrity and objectivity.

mostpost
06-18-2015, 12:56 AM
Biggest liar in the world taking over MSNBC
Not as long as Bill O'Reilly. Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin are around.

LottaKash
06-18-2015, 01:01 AM
I mean, we just can't get the Clinton's, the Bush's or "this guy", to just go away...

Sign of the times, I guess...

Clocker
06-18-2015, 01:44 AM
Not as long as Bill O'Reilly. Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin are around.

So you monitor these folks regularly and document their "lies"? Please enlighten us.

PS Any opinion that you do not agree with is not in and of itself a lie. Sorry to burst that little bubble.

mostpost
06-18-2015, 02:01 AM
So you monitor these folks regularly and document their "lies"? Please enlighten us.

PS Any opinion that you do not agree with is not in and of itself a lie. Sorry to burst that little bubble.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/02/bill-oreilly-brian-williams-falklands-war
Bill O'Reilly lied about the same thing you are criticizing Brian Williams for; being in danger in a war zone. Except Williams was actually in the war zone. O'Reilly was never in the Falkland Islands and never on South Georgia or the Sandwich Islands which is where the fighting took place. No correspondents, except for carefully chosen British reporters were.

O'Reilly did not even arrive in Buenos Aries Until shortly before hostilities ceased. I can quote a lot more lies of commission and omission that O'Reilly told, but doing so would be futile.

MPRanger
06-18-2015, 08:33 AM
Yes. O'Riley's a clown. Give you that one.

But you only back your comments on him and not the others. What lies can you cite from Levin, Hannity or Limbaugh?

BOR is a much lesser intellect and less knowledgeable than the others. It is wrong to compare them to such a fool.

If you can't provide a source for calling the others liars, doesn't that mean you are wrong to accuse them as such?

fast4522
06-18-2015, 08:57 AM
Well. . . . . . .

Tom
06-18-2015, 09:38 AM

Oh come off it.
Even you can't buy that baloney. :lol::lol:

Tom
06-18-2015, 09:39 AM

And.....he is now Black!

GaryG
06-18-2015, 09:59 AM
He was paroled from purgatory on the condition that he do penance at a nuthouse. The last stop before the Lake of Fire.

Pick 'em Charlie
06-18-2015, 10:12 AM

He was suspended wasn't he? The difference is Williams is on a news show with different rules than most of Fox's shows which are not news shows but listed as social commentary. That's why O'Reilly can tell the same mistruth and nothing happens to him.

Tom
06-18-2015, 10:18 AM
He's not on a news show now - he's on PMSNBC! :lol::lol::lol:

All the news that no one else would touch!

Robert Goren
06-18-2015, 10:39 AM
He was suspended wasn't he? The difference is Williams is on a news show with different rules than most of Fox's shows which are not news shows but listed as social commentary. That's why O'Reilly can tell the same mistruth and nothing happens to him.I think what O'Reilly did is worse. Williams does little more read what some else wrote for him to say. He is in short an actor. O'Reilly offers opinions, supposedly his own based on his experiences. Supposedly O'Reilly's claims add credence to his opinions. I fail to see how what Williams claimed add anything to his ability to read a teleprompter. Although he must have thought it did or he would not have made the claims. But then again, maybe all O'Reilly does is read from a teleprompter too. It is Fox News after all. As Jane Curtain once said. " I used to be the only blonde woman on TV reading made up news. Now they have a whole cable network of them"

Clocker
06-18-2015, 10:42 AM
The difference is Williams is on a news show with different rules than most of Fox's shows which are not news shows but listed as social commentary. That's why O'Reilly can tell the same mistruth and nothing happens to him.

Exactly. All those named are opinion shows, and anyone watching them for news is in trouble. O'Reilly is probably the worst, an opinionated blow-hard with a big ego. Hannity is a party line cheerleader. I have never listened to Levin, but all of the rest of them I know get their facts wrong from time to time. Except for O'Reilly inflating his own ego, I think it is error, not lying. I stopping watching all of them years ago. Who cares?

People watch those shows knowing they are going to get opinion they agree with. People watch network news hoping they are going to get facts.

dartman51
06-18-2015, 10:46 AM
Imagine my disappointment. I opened this thread thinking Obama was leaving for a new job.:(

davew
06-18-2015, 10:47 AM
I think what O'Reilly did is worse. Williams does little more read what some else wrote for him to say. He is in short an actor. O'Reilly offers opinions, supposedly his own based on his experiences. Supposedly O'Reilly's claims add credence to his opinions. I fail to see how what Williams claimed add anything to his ability to read a teleprompter. Although he must have thought it did or he would not have made the claims. But then again, maybe all O'Reilly does is read from a teleprompter too. It is Fox News after all. As Jane Curtain once said. " I used to be the only blonde woman on TV reading made up news. Now they have a whole cable network of them"

It must be because you do not know what Williams 'role' was on NBC nightly news, therefore you 'think' wrong.

Tom
06-18-2015, 11:30 AM
Williams does little more read what some else wrote for him to say.

Absolutely NOT.
HE made up the crap and inserted it himself - no one wrote it for him HE lied on his own.

And supposedly being a NEWS person, the O'Reily comparison holds no water.

Robert Goren
06-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Absolutely NOT.
HE made up the crap and inserted it himself - no one wrote it for him HE lied on his own.

And supposedly being a NEWS person, the O'Reily comparison holds no water.Are you saying he actually wrote the news stories he read on the air. If he did, he was the first anchor who ever did to any extent. If you are saying he wrote his own bio or resume, he no doubt did.

Robert Goren
06-18-2015, 11:42 AM
It must be because you do not know what Williams 'role' was on NBC nightly news, therefore you 'think' wrong. I think he did nothing more than read the news, what do you think he did?

PaceAdvantage
06-18-2015, 11:53 AM
Exactly. All those named are opinion shows, and anyone watching them for news is in trouble. O'Reilly is probably the worst, an opinionated blow-hard with a big ego. Hannity is a party line cheerleader. I have never listened to Levin, but all of the rest of them I know get their facts wrong from time to time. Except for O'Reilly inflating his own ego, I think it is error, not lying. I stopping watching all of them years ago. Who cares?

People watch those shows knowing they are going to get opinion they agree with. People watch network news hoping they are going to get facts.You should listen to Levin and see how it goes. Of all those listed, he's my favorite...but then again, I neither watch or listen to anyone on your list these days, including Levin...just don't have the time...don't even know where to find them on the radio, if they are even available over-the-air...I let my free one year Sirius-XM subscription run out last year and I haven't missed it enough to start paying for it...

Clocker
06-18-2015, 12:05 PM
You should listen to Levin and see how it goes. Of all those listed, he's my favorite...but then again, I neither watch or listen to anyone on your list these days, including Levin...just don't have the time...don't even know where to find them on the radio, if they are even available over-the-air...I let my free one year Sirius-XM subscription run out last year and I haven't missed it enough to start paying for it...

Levin is on a small, low power AM station here that I can rarely receive. I tried to read one of his books a while back. I didn't care for his style (he writes like a lawyer :eek: ) and the content was correct but nothing new.

As to the rest, same with me. I stopped watching the Fox opinion shows years ago as boring and predictable, and eventually dropped cable.

Tom
06-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Are you saying he actually wrote the news stories he read on the air. If he did, he was the first anchor who ever did to any extent. If you are saying he wrote his own bio or resume, he no doubt did.

Do you even have clue what he said? I thing not.
He ADDED comments of his own, like seeing the body float by his hotel, etc.
You think that was written for him to read? :D:D

Tom
06-18-2015, 12:21 PM
I think he did nothing more than read the news, what do you think he did?

Google is your friend.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2015/02/16/the-list-lies-and-disputed-stories-nbc-news-let-brian-williams-tell-for-a-decade/

Tom
06-18-2015, 12:23 PM
People watch network news hoping they are going to get facts.

:lol:, boy are YOU on a roll today!

Facts?
Network news?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

tucker6
06-18-2015, 12:59 PM

Facts?
Network news?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
I'm waiting for Mostie to get on here and condescend Goren into the gutter for his lack of factual posts. Maybe even call him an idiot or a fool for good measure.

Clocker
06-18-2015, 01:07 PM

Facts?
Network news?

I said "hoping", kind of like Hope and Change. :p

And that's why we have low information voters.

Clocker
06-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Are you saying he actually wrote the news stories he read on the air. If he did, he was the first anchor who ever did to any extent. If you are saying he wrote his own bio or resume, he no doubt did.

Do you really think that someone like Brian Williams would go on the air and read something off a teleprompter without going over it first with the writers, and making changes to it to match his style and preferences?

Williams and other anchors think that they are reporters. That's why they do all that on the scene stuff during hurricanes and such. There is no way their egos would let them just sit there and read something someone else wrote.

JustRalph
06-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Levin is my fav too.

Smart, bombastic etc. Excellent credentials.

Clocker, come on ........ you don't need no stinking low power station.

Use Iheart or Xm. Levin is on the net too.

Clocker
06-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Levin is my fav too.

Smart, bombastic etc. Excellent credentials.

Clocker, come on ........ you don't need no stinking low power station.

Use Iheart or Xm. Levin is on the net too.

The only time I listen to radio is when I am in the car. I tried to listen to Levin on the net, but I find his style boring and distracting from the content. About 10 minutes is my max. I'm a print guy anyway. I'd much rather read something than listen to it.

davew
06-18-2015, 03:27 PM
I think he did nothing more than read the news, what do you think he did?

managing editor -> decided what stories were 'worthy' of broadcast, content of stories, and when/where he went for live location 'important' news.

edit to add that O'Reilly does similar but his show is not a national news show. His show brings up topics that he feels should get more attention on the national news shows, mixed in with opinion pieces and advertorials on books written by him and his guests.

mostpost
06-18-2015, 04:11 PM
http://mediamatters.org/research/2013/02/28/10-examples-of-sean-hannity-saying-things-that/192828

Saratoga_Mike
06-18-2015, 04:19 PM
http://mediamatters.org/research/2013/02/28/10-examples-of-sean-hannity-saying-things-that/192828

Media Matters is a joke - please reference a real news source, and I'm not a Hannity fan by any means.

mostpost
06-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Perfectly awful that is. The fact checking organization has investigated more than 30 statements by the chubby conservative radio host. Not a single one of them has been found to be completely true. Only seven percent were rated as "Mostly true." An astonishing 84% earned the approbation "Mostly false/false/pants on fire.

A worthy candidate for the title "Biggest Liar In The World." Brian Williams is a prevarication pauper by comparison.

Clocker
06-18-2015, 04:38 PM
10 Examples Of Sean Hannity Saying Things That Aren't True

Who cares? Hannity is a cheerleader. No one thinks he is "fair and balanced".

Brian Williams is still a liar and it is still entertaining to make fun of him, and to make fun of people who believe everything they hear on network news. Nothing you can say about Hannity or Rush or anyone else changes that one iota.

tucker6
06-18-2015, 04:39 PM
Perfectly awful that is. The fact checking organization has investigated more than 30 statements by the chubby conservative radio host. Not a single one of them has been found to be completely true. Only seven percent were rated as "Mostly true." An astonishing 84% earned the approbation "Mostly false/false/pants on fire.

A worthy candidate for the title "Biggest Liar In The World." Brian Williams is a prevarication pauper by comparison.
So what you are saying is that before this lying claim came along, you equated Brian Williams and Rush Limbaugh to be equal purveyors of the news? To be believed equally??

mostpost
06-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Better than Rush, if that is something to brag on.

2 statements rated True

2 statements rated mostly true

7 statements rated half true (Which means they are half false)

4 statements rated mostly false

8 statements rated false

7 statements rated pants on fire.

mostpost
06-18-2015, 05:02 PM
Who cares? Hannity is a cheerleader. No one thinks he is "fair and balanced".

Brian Williams is still a liar and it is still entertaining to make fun of him, and to make fun of people who believe everything they hear on network news. Nothing you can say about Hannity or Rush or anyone else changes that one iota.

I care. Hannity and O'Reilly and Levin and Beck and Rush influence millions of people. And they do so by using facts that are false and information that is misleading. Maybe you know that these men are not fair and balanced. Millions think that they are.

I think you definitely know they are not "Fair and balanced, but you don't care because that suits your agenda.

Brian Williams lied about his personal life-or one aspect of his professional life-but I have yet to see anyone accuse him of lying about the news he reported. The fantastic five continually lie about the news in order to enhance their opinion.

mostpost
06-18-2015, 05:07 PM
So what you are saying is that before this lying claim came along, you equated Brian Williams and Rush Limbaugh to be equal purveyors of the news? To be believed equally??

Not at all. Limbaugh has always been a liar-never to be believed; on any subject. He uses lies to influence people into agreeing with his opinions, which he offers incessantly. Brian Williams rarely offers opinions and he does not lie about the news in order to promote those opinions.

cj's dad
06-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Mostie, let me get this straight. You need news outlets to back up your assertions that certain politicos fail to be truthful. I checked the only news source I rely on The Daily Common Sense. A recent headline "All Politicians Lie". This applies to both the Republican and Democrat parties.

Tea Partiers do not have enough at bats at this time to qualify for the title.

Clocker
06-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Brian Williams lied about his personal life-or one aspect of his professional life-but I have yet to see anyone accuse him of lying about the news he reported.

:D

Right. He actually did see dead bodies floating around as he waded in the flooded streets of the French Quarter. Was that before or after he accidentally ingested flood water and caught dysentery? :rolleyes:

tucker6
06-18-2015, 05:32 PM
Was that before or after he accidentally ingested flood water and caught dysentery? :rolleyes:
Be kind to Brian. He was after all, and in his own words, savings two nuns at the time. :rolleyes:

Clocker
06-18-2015, 05:38 PM
Limbaugh has always been a liar-never to be believed; on any subject. He uses lies to influence people into agreeing with his opinions, which he offers incessantly.

You are delusional. I have listened to Rush from time to time, and have never heard him lie about anything that I was aware of. And the vast majority of his audience listens because they already agree with his opinions. Most of the rest are liberals who listen to be offended.

davew
06-18-2015, 08:17 PM
I care. The White House and Democratic party influence millions of people. And they do so by using facts that are false and information that is misleading. Maybe you know that these people are not fair and balanced. Millions think that they are.

I think you definitely know they are not "Fair and balanced, but you don't care because that suits your agenda.

fixed your post mostpost

JustRalph
06-18-2015, 08:46 PM
Not at all. Limbaugh has always been a liar-never to be believed; on any subject. He uses lies to influence people into agreeing with his opinions, which he offers incessantly. Brian Williams rarely offers opinions and he does not lie about the news in order to promote those opinions.

You are parrotting. You obviously don't listen. I get about 30 min a day of Rush now. but I read his website a few times a week.

And you are full of it. He doesn't lie about anything. The context of his program doesn't allow for it anyway. He offers his opinion of the news of the day mostly. You keep on jobbing away .......... out of touch.

Tom
06-18-2015, 09:59 PM
:D

Right. He actually did see dead bodies floating around as he waded in the flooded streets of the French Quarter. Was that before or after he accidentally ingested flood water and caught dysentery? :rolleyes:

Don't forget his lies about the helicopter crash.
Williams is a pathological liar and has zero integrity. ANY station that would hire him is the same. NBC has shown itself to be totally garbage.

And, mostie would not know the truth if someone beat him over his head with it.

Tom
06-18-2015, 10:00 PM
You are parrotting. You obviously don't listen. I get about 30 min a day of Rush now. but I read his website a few times a week.

And you are full of it. He doesn't lie about anything. The context of his program doesn't allow for it anyway. He offers his opinion of the news of the day mostly. You keep on jobbing away .......... out of touch.

Waaaaaack! Waaaaack! Mostie want a cracker? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
06-18-2015, 10:03 PM
Mostie, let me get this straight. You need news outlets to back up your assertions that certain politicos fail to be truthful. I checked the only news source I rely on The Daily Common Sense. A recent headline "All Politicians Lie". This applies to both the Republican and Democrat parties.

Tea Partiers do not have enough at bats at this time to qualify for the title.

mostie has a real problem understanding what "news" and "entertainment" are. Not surprising, mostie has a real problem understanding reality.

Saratoga_Mike
06-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Be kind to Brian. He was after all, and in his own words, savings two nuns at the time. :rolleyes:

Was that before or after he saw someone jump to their death in the Superdome? How is any of this stuff about his personal life? Only in Most's convoluted view of the world, I guess.

tucker6
06-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Was that before or after he saw someone jump to their death in the Superdome? How is any of this stuff about his personal life? Only in Most's convoluted view of the world, I guess.
Brian Williams is the Waldo of our times. He is everywhere.

ArlJim78
06-18-2015, 11:07 PM
disgraced pathological liar. hmmm what to do with him?
hey lets make him the face of MSNBC! :lol:
you can't make this stuff up.

bet he'll host a nightly segment "Amazing Stories with Brian Williams"

Clocker
06-18-2015, 11:10 PM
bet he'll host a nightly segment "Amazing Stories with Brian Williams"

He can have Hillary on as his first guest, and they can swap war stories. :p

mostpost
06-18-2015, 11:11 PM
Politifact categorizes statements as either True, Mostly True, Half True, Mostly False, False, or Pants On Fire. Politifact also has a page or file on persons whose statements they have evaluated. Using that information I have come up with the following on six cable commentators; Chris Matthews, Lawrence O'donnell, Rachel Maddow and Al Sharpton from the liberal side and Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh from the conservative side.

The percentages below are the percentage of that person's statements that fit in the particular category. In other words, if Al Sharpton has had five statements evaluated and one of them is evaluated as true, his true percentage is 20%,

In the categories "True, Mostly True and Half True, I put the higher percentages first because it is better to tell the truth. For the categories Mostly False, False and Pants on Fire, I put the lower percentages first because lying is not good.

True
Chris Matthews 14%
Rachel Maddow 13%
Lawrence O'Donnell 13%
Glenn Beck 7%
Al Sharpton 0%
Rush Limbaugh 0%

Mostly True
Lawrence O'Donnell 38%
Rachel Maddow 25%
Al Sharpton 20%
Chris Matthews 14%
Glenn Beck 7%
Rush Limbaugh 6%

Half True
Chris Matthews 29%
Glenn Beck 24%
Al Sharpton 20%
Rachel Maddow 13%
Rush Limbaugh 9%
Lawrence O'Donnell 0%

Mostly False
Chris Matthews 14%
Glenn Beck 17%
Lawrence O'Donnell 25%
Rachel Maddow 25%
Rush Limbaugh 28%
Al Sharpton 40%

False
Al Sharpton 20%
Rachel Maddow 21%
Glenn Beck 24%
Lawrence O'Donnell 25%
Chris Matthew 29%
Rush Limbaugh 31%

Pants On Fire
Lawrence O'Donnell 0%
Al Sharpton 0%
Chris Matthews 0%
Rachel Maddow 4%
Glenn Beck 21%
Rush Limbaugh 25%

What do these numbers tell us? They tell us that Rush made more false or pants on fire statements than anyone else and more mostly false statements than anyone except Sharpton. It also shows that he made less True or Mostly True statements than anyone else.

tucker6
06-18-2015, 11:27 PM
What do these numbers tell us?
Absolutely NOTHING about Brian Williams. Holy hell, please stop genuflecting on the issue. Williams is a lying scumbag. End of story. Bringing others into the mix is the ultimate red herring.

Clocker
06-18-2015, 11:30 PM
What do these numbers tell us?

Absolutely nothing. If anyone cares about that stuff, the "data" is statistically meaningless without knowing how many "statements" were checked, and how those were chosen.

But none of that changes the fact that Brian Williams is a liar or seriously delusional. Just more deflection by a fan boy who's got no substance.

Track Collector
06-19-2015, 01:25 AM
I wonder if the statements of Rush Limbaugh that were evaluated were the times he was talking in the "Bill Clinton" voice. :eek:

The truth/lies statistics are completely meaningless unless we know the specifics behind them. It is so easy to select things out of context and to evaluate in accordance with one's biases.

Rookies
06-19-2015, 10:05 AM
Another seminal change in today's society, is that nobody and I mean nobody takes responsibility for any of their own actions! In prior times, people walked the plank, when they were caught out doing something disreputable.

In Williams case, it was ginned up falsehoods on more than one occasion and it is precisely because of the nature of his job and that he wasn't "in a drunken, Crackhead state" :rolleyes: , that he can't continue in that role.

Various high profile heads should be rolling (figuratively) daily ala Madame Defarge, until all the swine are outed publicly.

_______
06-19-2015, 11:21 AM
I don't watch either MSNBC or Fox. If I watch any news on TV, it's PBS. And since my wife is allergic to the sadness of this world, that winds up being only the very few times she isn't home in the evening.

I think the conservative members here could acknowledge that NBC at least did something about his journalistic lapse. The distinction between "news anchor" and "opinion host" is real but no excuse for FOX doing nothing about O'Reillys similar lapse.

As far as MSNBC, I can't imagine the joy of his new colleagues on learning that they now work at a rehab facility for tainted journalists.

It's hard for me to read through the comments without observing the obvious blinders both sides are wearing. No one, without an axe to grind, should be defending either.

NBC got some credit in my book for at least taking action. That's now mitigated by their expanding the job history required for a breaking news anchor to include making "a number of inaccurate statements about their own role and experiences covering events in the field".

Lovely. That's a source I want to depend on.

tucker6
06-19-2015, 12:09 PM
I think the conservative members here could acknowledge that NBC at least did something about his journalistic lapse. The distinction between "news anchor" and "opinion host" is real but no excuse for FOX doing nothing about O'Reillys similar lapse.

NBC got some credit in my book for at least taking action. That's now mitigated by their expanding the job history required for a breaking news anchor to include making "a number of inaccurate statements about their own role and experiences covering events in the field".

Why? What action did they really take? They ended up condoning the lies and the stretching of the truth by the face that represents their network, and who should be the paragon of virtue when it comes to honesty and integrity. That doesn't indicate to me that NBC stepped forward in any way.

Conversely, O'Reilly was never put on the virtuous pedestal by FOX, and therefore should not be treated similarly. The attempt to do so is a red herring.

For the record, I don't watch FOX or NBC, and could care less about Williams or O'Reilly.

Saratoga_Mike
06-19-2015, 12:35 PM
Brian Williams is the Waldo of our times. He is everywhere.

I apologize to Most, as one of BW's best lies was personal. The puppy(ies) rescue story. Recall he claimed to have saved a puppy....then two puppies...from a fire when he was volunteer firefighter in his late teens/perhaps early 20s. Firefighters who heard the details said the story made no sense. Imagine lying about saving puppies.

johnhannibalsmith
06-19-2015, 01:12 PM
I heard his interview with Lauer this morning. The guy has problems.

_______
06-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Why? What action did they really take? They ended up condoning the lies and the stretching of the truth by the face that represents their network, and who should be the paragon of virtue when it comes to honesty and integrity. That doesn't indicate to me that NBC stepped forward in any way.

Conversely, O'Reilly was never put on the virtuous pedestal by FOX, and therefore should not be treated similarly. The attempt to do so is a red herring.

For the record, I don't watch FOX or NBC, and could care less about Williams or O'Reilly.

They removed him as anchor of their flagship news broadcast. Suggesting that condones his actions is disconnected from reality.

And before you jump all over the fact that he now works at MSNBC, read the entire paragraph you quoted from. I agree with you.

Where I don't is the excuse making for FOX. You can twist this around anyway you like to make their inaction okay if you want. I don't.

Hosts of opinion shows aren't entitled to embellish their resume more than any other employee. FOX did their reputation a disservice by ignoring this.

tucker6
06-19-2015, 01:34 PM
They removed him as anchor of their flagship news broadcast. Suggesting that condones his actions is disconnected from reality.

And before you jump all over the fact that he now works at MSNBC, read the entire paragraph you quoted from. I agree with you.

Where I don't is the excuse making for FOX. You can twist this around anyway you like to make their inaction okay if you want. I don't.

Hosts of opinion shows aren't entitled to embellish their resume more than any other employee. FOX did their reputation a disservice by ignoring this.
This isn't about Bill O'Reilly. This is a thread dedicated to Brian Williams. He and his network set him up as Walter Cronkite, and found him wanting. Instead of canning a serial liar, NBC chose to allow a known liar to continue representing them. I can't help it if you cannot see the difference between the two situations.

_______
06-19-2015, 01:54 PM
This isn't about Bill O'Reilly. This is a thread dedicated to Brian Williams. He and his network set him up as Walter Cronkite, and found him wanting. Instead of canning a serial liar, NBC chose to allow a known liar to continue representing them. I can't help it if you cannot see the difference between the two situations.

I can see the differences as well as the obvious similarities. You're insistence that the situations not be compared illustrates the problem of the us vs. them mentality.

I respect your opinion. I would have more if I thought it was less trapped in a red/blue dynamic.

ReplayRandall
06-19-2015, 02:00 PM

Not condoning what Williams did, but in comparison, Brian isn't the King of the liars, that title goes to Dan Rather.......

Tom
06-19-2015, 02:28 PM
I heard his interview with Lauer this morning. The guy has problems.

I heard he captured 10 ISIS terrorists as he drove over the Brooklyn Bridge, then handed them over to the FBI while he dove into the river to save a drowning boy. Then, as he recalled the day he landed a jet airliner on the Hudson, he gave CPR to his cabbie, who had just collapsed at the wheel.

tucker6
06-19-2015, 04:11 PM
I can see the differences as well as the obvious similarities. You're insistence that the situations not be compared illustrates the problem of the us vs. them mentality.

I respect your opinion. I would have more if I thought it was less trapped in a red/blue dynamic.
Actually it is you that is trapped in the red/blue dynamic by trying to label everyone's opinion in this thread with that paint brush. I don't care for either network nor either personality. I just don't believe it helpful to lessen the sins of one person by bringing another person's sins into the argument. I did it but Johnny and Sally did it too, so what I did wasn't so bad.

tucker6
06-19-2015, 04:14 PM
I heard he captured 10 ISIS terrorists as he drove over the Brooklyn Bridge, then handed them over to the FBI while he dove into the river to save a drowning boy. Then, as he recalled the day he landed a jet airliner on the Hudson, he gave CPR to his cabbie, who had just collapsed at the wheel.
He revised his ISIS story later. It was actually 12 terrorists and two boys in the water. Tomorrow it may have been an entire ISIS encampment. Stay tuned.

tucker6
06-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Not condoning what Williams did, but in comparison, Brian isn't the King of the liars, that title goes to Dan Rather.......
to me, Dan Rather had a Nixonian personality. Always had an enemies list and trying to settle scores.

_______
06-19-2015, 05:08 PM
Actually it is you that is trapped in the red/blue dynamic by trying to label everyone's opinion in this thread with that paint brush. I don't care for either network nor either personality. I just don't believe it helpful to lessen the sins of one person by bringing another person's sins into the argument. I did it but Johnny and Sally did it too, so what I did wasn't so bad.

You'll need to point me toward where I lessened Brian Williams guilt by saying everyone does it. If it was unclear from my initial post (and I really don't know how that is possible), I'll be more explicit here:

I don't believe Brian Williams has any business being in journalism at any level after what he did.

You seem fairly reasonable in most of the posts I've read and I don't intend this to be personal. But I do perceive the stamping of feet and crossing of arms when it comes to discussing Bill O'Reilly's similar transgressions an obvious sign of partisanship.

tucker6
06-19-2015, 05:52 PM
You'll need to point me toward where I lessened Brian Williams guilt by saying everyone does it. If it was unclear from my initial post (and I really don't know how that is possible), I'll be more explicit here:

I don't believe Brian Williams has any business being in journalism at any level after what he did.

You seem fairly reasonable in most of the posts I've read and I don't intend this to be personal. But I do perceive the stamping of feet and crossing of arms when it comes to discussing Bill O'Reilly's similar transgressions an obvious sign of partisanship.
I guess we're typing past one another. I guess I would be more reasonable if I wasn't being pigeon-holed as having a red/blue dynamic on a subject where the actual participants do not really interest me, but the sin does. I guess we agree, so as a lawyer friend used to say, we are in heated agreement.

Tom
06-19-2015, 10:35 PM

He's not. He's an MSNBC. :lol:

Robert Fischer
06-20-2015, 06:02 PM
He's not. He's an MSNBC. :lol:

'zing!'

Tom
06-20-2015, 06:49 PM
Do you know why Williams is on MSNBC?

Because the Comedy Channel has standards.

horses4courses
06-20-2015, 07:00 PM
The comedy is in how excited conservatives get about Williams.
I'm thinking there are a lot of man crushes going on here. :lol:

He lied repeatedly, and he should be out of the business altogether.
Still, it never came close to the fiction spewed out daily on Faux.

Tom
06-20-2015, 07:53 PM

Three specific examples, from the past 12 months, please.
And they must come from the news anchors.

Waiting.......

tucker6
06-20-2015, 08:21 PM
He lied repeatedly, and he should be out of the business altogether.
One was a 'trusted' news anchor. The others are opinion show hosts. See any difference in expectations between the two?

While I prefer no one lie, you cannot have news anchors lying repeatedly if you are a network. I wonder why you haven't taken Obama to task for all his Obamacare lies. Isn't it more important that he be truthful than opinion show hosts?

horses4courses
06-20-2015, 08:34 PM
Three specific examples, from the past 12 months, please.
And they must come from the news anchors.

Waiting.......

I'll take that bet....in fact, it would be stealing from you, monkey man.
Next time try to make it a little tougher..... :lol:
I think these are all anchors - remember, I don't watch that horse pucky.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/aug/15/tucker-carlson/carlson-guns-dont-kill-people-bathtubs-do/

Carlson: Guns don't kill people, bathtubs do

http://static.politifact.com.s3.amazonaws.com/politifact%2Fphotos%2FTuckerCarlson-Edit_1.jpg

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/oct/30/megyn-kelly/megyn-kellys-errant-claim-about-colorado-voters-pr/

Megyn Kelly's errant claim about Colorado voters printing out ballots from home

http://static.politifact.com.s3.amazonaws.com/politifact%2Fphotos%2Fmegynkellyvoterfraud.png

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/jun/19/jeanine-pirro/foxs-pirro-obama-set-isis-leader-free-2009/

Fox's Pirro: Obama set ISIS leader free in 2009

"The head of this band of savages is a man named Abu Bakr al Baghdadi, the new Osama Bin Laden," Pirro said. "A man released by Obama in 2009, who started ISIS a year later.

That's the tip of the iceberg.
You'll find more lies buried in here:

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/tv/fox/?page=1

Clocker
06-20-2015, 08:47 PM
I'll take that bet....in fact, it would be stealing from you, monkey man.
Next time try to make it a little tougher..... :lol:
I think these are all anchors - remember, I don't watch that horse pucky.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/tv/fox/?page=1

Massive failure.

None of those people are news anchors or reporters. They are all political analysts and commentators.

I looked at the first few pages of the site you reference, and no one there is a news person.

The objectivity of that site is highly questionable.

But the biggest laugh is that your #1 example of a Fox news anchor is Tucker Carlson. He runs a web site that drives moonbats here into screaming fits of accusations of its lack of truth and objectivity.

JustRalph
06-20-2015, 08:48 PM
what part of "news anchors" don't you understand?

horses4courses
06-20-2015, 09:22 PM
Well, I guess Brian Williams' untruths are rubbing off on me.

Do they even have news anchors on Faux?
Must be slave labor from a bunch of flunky interns.

Tom
06-20-2015, 09:27 PM
You embarrass yourself.

We laughed.

Clocker
06-20-2015, 09:53 PM
Do they even have news anchors on Faux?

Try this from Wiki for a start:

Shepard Smith tied for second (along with Dan Rather and Peter Jennings) as the most trusted news anchor on both network and cable news in a 2003 TV Guide poll.[6] In addition to anchoring Fox News Channel's flagship news program, Smith also anchors most prime time news presentations provided by Fox News for the Fox television network.

Smith rarely shows any partisanship on air, but in the very few times he does, it is clear that he is moderate, leaning left. Extreme right wingers often whine about how liberal he is, which is nuts.

davew
06-20-2015, 11:47 PM
I read he will still get near $10 million/yr

Tom
06-21-2015, 10:28 AM
I do applaud the promotion of Lester Holt, though.
I find him to very trustworthy and competent.
He is a hard worker who has been in the trenches and reported admirable from in them.

I might even tune in to his show now.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Fred
06-21-2015, 07:48 PM

The people you mention are not main stream media. They are pundits who comment on the news and can spin it anyway they want. There is a difference.

Tom
06-21-2015, 09:27 PM
Now you know why mostie has so much trouble with reality - he has no clue what is news and what is not.

DJofSD
06-23-2015, 11:31 AM
http://pagesix.com/2015/06/22/msnbc-staffers-chanted-f-k-brian-williams-at-2012-party/?_ga=1.93276701.1602064236.1435062006

Brian Williams’ welcome to MSNBC might be frigid because staffers there haven’t forgotten a scathing report he arrogantly aired on his short-lived “Rock Center” about “corrosive” cable news blowhards at MSNBC, Fox News and CNN.

The two-part September 2012 report was so unpopular at MSNBC that, at a network holiday party shortly after, some over-served staffers even chanted “F - - k Brian Williams.”

Tom
11-29-2015, 04:16 PM
I was watching one of the endless documentaries about the Kennedy Assassination the other day, and several well known reports were commenting on it. Dan Blather talked about how he tried to establish a telephone connection to NY and Brian Williams told how he immediately cleared a second shooter out the grassy knoll area before leaping into the SS car and hitching a ride to Parkland, where he applied chest compression's until the doctors could get to the emergency room. Said it really helped shape his future.

NorCalGreg
11-29-2015, 06:56 PM
On a related note....I'm sure you are all familiar with Christiane Amanpour. She is/was regularly sent to report back from the very center of conflicts, hotspots, and dangerous war-torn regions of the world--usually the Middle East. I can recall watching her reports, with bombs literally bursting in air, Amanpour never flinching at all.

delayjf
11-30-2015, 05:41 PM
I wonder if she was on the same C-130 that Hillary was on that was taking AA fire as they were attempting to land in Serbia? :D

Tom
11-30-2015, 08:59 PM
Brian was on the ground there, and he returned fire to give Hillary cover.