PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Wednesday, June 17

Teach
06-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Race One:

“I got the horse right here, the name is Harpoon (Beer)…(poetic license)…”and here’s a guy that says that if all weather’s clear…”
Yes, with apologies and thanks to the late Frank Loesser’s “Fugue for Tinhorns” from “Guys and Dolls,” my pick in the opener at “Beautiful Belmont Park” is :7: Harpoon (not to be confused with Harpoon Beer that is brewed in Boston’s Seaport District). As “Nicely Nicely” Johnson might have said: “Can do, can do, Teach says this horse can do.” Yes, this Tapit-Pulpit-bred fetched a half-a-mill at the September Keeneland sales back in 2012. This 4-year-old roan has gone, in a little over one year, from competing in the Grade I Wood Memorial in 2014 to today’s 16k claiming sprint, non-winners of two, lifetime. Take me to the claim box. Yet. this is mysterious. The DRF didn't say it, but I will: “suspicious”. A solid morning work about a week ago appears to signal readiness. Luis Saez is in the irons for the red-hot Todd Pletcher.

Others: :6: Fit to Keep; :4: Byron’s Pop; :2: Mizner’s Park

Race Two:

:2: Stormy Sky would move up on any residual moisture (main labeled as “good”). I also like the turf-to-dirt angle. This Sky Mesa-bred filly is sliding down the claiming ladder. I believe this 3-year-old has reached her optimal level. The filly’s trainer, George Weaver, does very well with horses dropping 2+ levels. This Pulpit-bred had a recent-decent morning work. “The Bug,” Eric Cancel, is in the irons.

Others: :8: Gregg’s Beauty; :6: Dia de Encanta; :5: Kisses for Romeo

Race Three:

You don’t have to be from Sparta or even Athens to like :3: Hellenistic. This English Channel-bred has had three races here in “The States” since crossing “The Pond” from “The Emerald Isle”. This Mr. Prospector-bred was last seen competing at Keeneland in the Grade III Bewitch Stakes, a race in which this 4-year-old filly finished 10th but only 4 and ½ lengths off the winner. This filly is now competing in an optional claimer. Nuff Said. Javier Castellano is in the irons for trainer Chad Brown.

Others: :8: Dido; :1a: Ticking Katie; :7: Water Hole

Race Four:

:3: Hundred Year Storm gets my tepid nods in this large-field turf sprint on The Widener. This Danzig-bred filly has solid turf credentials; yet she’ll have to “get out” from her inside starting post to contend for the victory here. Her jockey, the most capable Irad Ortiz, Jr., will need to find a seam and angle this 3-year-old out in the stretch if there are hopes and aspirations of getting her picture taken. In her last, a similar situation at GP over two months ago, this filly finished seventh. A new track. A new jockey. The filly’s trainer, Chad Brown, does very well with horses that have been away from the track for lengthy periods of time and also shippers.

Others: :4: Coming Attraction; :10: Greywalls; :12: Kinsley

Race Five:

In this highly competitive allowance sprint I’m going with :2: Mrs. Hudson. This Kiaran McLaughlin trainee won at first asking a couple months ago at Aqueduct in a MSW. This Street Cry-bred’s recent morning work tab has been good. I should mention that she was heavily bet in her debut. She will, admittedly, face a stiffer challenge against “winners” here. The razor-sharp Irad Ortiz, Jr. reprises the ride.

Others: :5: So You Say; :4: You Lie; :3: Jubilant Vision

Race Six:

:5: Best Man is my pick in this claiming sprint, non-winners of three, lifetime. This Pulpit-bred just missed by a head in his last in this company. The gelding now cuts back a panel. Admittedly, this gelding has disappointed as the chalk in his last two. The gelding’s trainer, Rudy Rodriguez, is good with beaten favorites and second starts off a claim. Javier Castellano reprises the ride.

Others: :3: Ground Control; :2: Gentrify; :7: Escapist

Race Seven:

In this claiming turf sprint, I’m going with :4: Desert Bliss. This 6-year-old chestnut mare was third in her last against similar. She now cuts back two panels. This Utopia-bred mare is is used to running longer distances, but she has hit the tote at this sprint distance in six of nine tries. There is a significant rider change to Javier Castellano. Gregg Matties trains.

Others: :5: Ave’s Halo; :11: Chelsea Road; :8: Pura Vida Zen

Race Eight

:6: Mr Rosenthal just failed to hold on at seven panels on the lawn a little less than one month ago. Today’s one-panel cut-back should improve this Danzig-bred gelding’s chances. Jose Lezcano – he’s good on the green – reprises the ride for trainer Greg Diprima.

Others: :2: Ziptronic; :1: Special Selection; :5: Mish Mosh

Race Nine:

In the finale, a maiden-claiming turf sprint on The Widener, my choice is huge ML longshot, :5: Truly Unruly. Some may ask: “Where did you come up with this horse?” Well. I’ll give you my thinking. For one, her trainer, Jena Antonucci, is taking the blinkers off. I’ve seen, over the years, where what appears to be a relatively minor equipment change can lead to some significant changes in a horse’s performance. I’m not going so far as to say that it will automatically lead to a win. No. Can it? Oh, most certainly. Another thing. Junior is very good in turf sprints. Think back through this Belmont meet where Junior Alvarado has unexpectedly won aboard a high-odds competitor. I might mention that trainer Antonucci does well with horses where the blinkers come off.

Others: :1: Winter Wish; :9: Born To Be Mild; :8: Moondance Joy