PDA

View Full Version : Than vs Then....

cecil127
06-16-2015, 04:00 PM
for the love of god click here if you dont know the difference..(and its painfully obvious you have NO CLUE) (http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/blog/english-mistakes/than-vs-then/)

your welcome :lol: :D :lol: :D

*keep on amazing us with youre "knowledge" of the game :ThmbUp: :lol: :D :lol:

PhantomOnTour
06-16-2015, 04:03 PM
for the love of god click here if you dont know the difference..(and its painfully obvious you have NO CLUE) (http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/blog/english-mistakes/than-vs-then/)

Maybe you can also show us the difference between your and you're
:lol: ;)

cecil127
06-16-2015, 04:06 PM
Maybe you can also show us the difference between your and you're

exactly :ThmbUp: :lol: :D :lol:

glad you can appreciate :ThmbUp: :D :lol:

another link for the ones who still dont know how illiterate they really are... (http://grammarist.com/usage/than-then/)

cecil127
06-16-2015, 04:12 PM
im just here to help....FACT,,,LEGIT! :ThmbUp:

PhantomOnTour
06-16-2015, 04:15 PM
YOUR and YOU'RE are big pet peeves of mine...see it almost daily.

Another one is the common misspelling of INCONVENIENCE...all too many times a store will be closed and the sign will say, "Sorry for the inconvience"

Robert Goren
06-16-2015, 04:25 PM
I swear they stopped teaching kids anything in school in 1981.... I was going to say other sports, but then I remembered they stopped teaching football players how tackle about the same time.

cecil127
06-16-2015, 04:32 PM
YOUR and YOU'RE are big pet peeves of mine...see it almost daily.

I can almost let that one slide nowadays....but misuse of "then" and "than" just screams "uneducated" :rolleyes:

your move prevalent to see that severe stupidity in upstate ny then most places...the kind of places your going to visit than leave real quickly...

*banjos in the background* :rolleyes: :lol:

cecil127
06-16-2015, 06:14 PM
...Yes average handle of less then 100,000 per CARD for the meets. Tioga is worse then Vernon even...

:lol:

...I love Vernon Downs more then anyone...

....rather then rush to get VLT's going....blah, blah, blah...

The Tioga purses only look better then Vernon because...blah, blah, blah...

see a pattern here? poor vernon :rolleyes: :D

*ill be up soon if anyone wants a "lesson" :ThmbUp: ,,,,FACT,,,,,LEGIT! :cool:

thespaah
06-16-2015, 11:17 PM
Two for me....
One....Misuse of "than" as in This is different 'than'.....Incorrect...It should be stated "different 'from'.....
Two.....Ending sentences with prepositions.....
of, at, etc...

thespaah
06-16-2015, 11:26 PM
Oh....Redundancies.
"hot water heater"...Is there a 'cold water heater'?
"Complete three sixty"....Is there an incomplete three sixty?
"same exact"....AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Just 'exact' will do....Exact is an absolute.
and finally..
"Loose" and "lose"..
Loose: Untied, unfastened, non rigid attachment...
Lose: the opposite of gain....
In the present tense.....One does not "loose" their mind. The "lose" their mind.
I stand down from my soap box...
Damn....Now you made me loose my "trend"( yep instead of 'train' people say this too) of thought. I forgot my wallet so now I have to make a complete 360 so I can head back to the ATM( Another silly redundancy) machine to get money out 'of'

traynor
06-16-2015, 11:36 PM
Oh....Redundancies.
"hot water heater"...Is there a 'cold water heater'?
"Complete three sixty"....Is there an incomplete three sixty?
"same exact"....AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Just 'exact' will do....Exact is an absolute.
and finally..
"Loose" and "lose"..
Loose: Untied, unfastened, non rigid attachment...
Lose: the opposite of gain....
In the present tense.....One does not "loose" their mind. The "lose" their mind.
I stand down from my soap box...
Damn....Now you made me loose my "trend"( yep instead of 'train' people say this too) of thought. I forgot my wallet so now I have to make a complete 360 so I can head back to the ATM( Another silly redundancy) machine to get money out 'of'

One (singular) may lose his or her (singular) mind, unless she or he suffers from MPD, in which case use of "their" (plural) would be appropriate, but would then require "mind" to be plural as well.

That is an interesting detail of English. So many people use "their" rather than his or her (or whatever) that many writers began avoiding the use of singular pronouns altogether, opting for agreement in number.

badcompany
06-17-2015, 07:57 AM
Sad commentary on the state of harness when the most popular thread is about grammar. :(

PaceAdvantage
06-17-2015, 12:05 PM
Good point...thread moved.

cj's dad
06-17-2015, 12:18 PM
The use of the word "actually", as in "I actually went to the track last Saturday". Saying "I went to the track last Saturday" has the same meaning.

I cannot think of one instance where the addition of this word in a sentence changes a thing.

thaskalos
06-17-2015, 12:29 PM
Saying I could care less, when we mean exactly the opposite. It seems that I hardly ever encounter a person who uses "I COULDN'T CARE LESS", anymore.

cecil127
06-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Saying I could care less, when we mean exactly the opposite. It seems that I hardly ever encounter a person who uses "I COULDN'T CARE LESS", anymore.

+1

...and they couldn't care less that they're saying it wrong to boot :rolleyes:

still not as idiotic as using "then" in place of "than" though IMO,,,,FACT,,,,LEGIT! :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
06-17-2015, 01:02 PM
One (singular) may lose his or her (singular) mind, unless she or he suffers from MPD, in which case use of "their" (plural) would be appropriate, but would then require "mind" to be plural as well.

That is an interesting detail of English. So many people use "their" rather than his or her (or whatever) that many writers began avoiding the use of singular pronouns altogether, opting for agreement in number.

The use of them and their as a singular accusative neuter pronoun and possessive is not truly incorrect. It was commonplace in English a few hundred years ago. In fact it is quite common in Shakespeare. Not sure why the tide turned against it as we don't have a true set of neuter pronouns. Many of these "proper" English rules are also quite silly as they are trying to parallel Latin such as the no split infinitive rule. In Latin it makes sense because you literally cannot split the infinitive, but you can to more dramatic effect in English

johnhannibalsmith
06-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Almost anything with "pre" in front of it. That and this newfangled "going forward..." No shit. You aren't going to time travel. Thanks.

mostpost
06-17-2015, 02:19 PM
This isn't exactly grammar, but I am bugged by the excessive use of acronyms in these pages. It isn't that hard to type out California Chrome. It's one thing to use CC in a post where you have already referenced California Chrome. It is quite another to talk about SS when no one has mentioned Seattle Slew. We can not read your mind. Reading some of the posts here is like reading a government report.

cecil127
06-17-2015, 03:48 PM
This isn't exactly grammar, but I am bugged by the excessive use of acronyms in these pages..

and than theirs those "other sites"....they'll make youre head spin around at times but a CONSTANT source of "material",,,,FACT,,,,LEGIT! :ThmbUp:

_______
06-17-2015, 04:03 PM
Heard this on NPR a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. Misstatements that contain some linguistic logic.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/05/30/410504851/eggcorns-the-gaffes-that-spread-like-wildflowers

Stillriledup
06-17-2015, 05:06 PM

Im going to use than when i should use then and vice versa from now on, and im going to start posting more just to annoy OTM AL.
;)

cecil127
06-17-2015, 05:25 PM
Heard this on NPR a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. Misstatements that contain some linguistic logic.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/05/30/410504851/eggcorns-the-gaffes-that-spread-like-wildflowers

TY :ThmbUp: Enjoyed the read :ThmbUp:

Hate "eggcorns",,,BUT

Love NPR,,,,FACT,,,LEGIT! :ThmbUp:

Overlay
06-17-2015, 06:09 PM
Two.....Ending sentences with prepositions.....
of, at, etc...
As Churchill said when he was criticized for that practice, "That is the sort of impertinence up with which I will not put." :)

Overlay
06-17-2015, 06:12 PM
That and this newfangled "going forward..." No shit. You aren't going to time travel. Thanks.
I hope Boxcar doesn't read this comment. (Check the "Religious" thread for the extended debate on this subject.) :D

Clocker
06-17-2015, 06:20 PM
This isn't exactly grammar, but I am bugged by the excessive use of acronyms in these pages.

BFD

HGAF

HTH

HAND

traynor
06-17-2015, 06:46 PM

Blame it on Phil Collins.

traynor
06-17-2015, 06:50 PM
As Churchill said when he was criticized for that practice, "That is the sort of impertinence up with which I will not put." :)

I looked it up, and there are about a dozen variants of that quote. All are good.

traynor
06-17-2015, 06:55 PM
The use of them and their as a singular accusative neuter pronoun and possessive is not truly incorrect. It was commonplace in English a few hundred years ago. In fact it is quite common in Shakespeare. Not sure why the tide turned against it as we don't have a true set of neuter pronouns. Many of these "proper" English rules are also quite silly as they are trying to parallel Latin such as the no split infinitive rule. In Latin it makes sense because you literally cannot split the infinitive, but you can to more dramatic effect in English

Nothing in English (or any other language) is "truly incorrect" if it is common use. "Common use" means current use. In the example cited, I refer you to the various (current) style manuals--from Chicago to Microsoft to APA--for recommendations. I am not particularly fond of "proper" English rules.

traynor
06-17-2015, 07:02 PM
Chomsky is interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorless_green_ideas_sleep_furiously

His work on deep structures/surface structures is useful to anyone who wants to understand the use of language.

cj's dad
06-18-2015, 02:52 AM
This site helps:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

rastajenk
06-18-2015, 07:01 AM
It is quite another to talk about SS when no one has mentioned Seattle Slew. Wow...and all this time I thought it was Sunday Silence. :faint:

cecil127
06-18-2015, 11:27 AM
...on Sylvain Filion...

IMAGINE IF HE ACTUALLY TRIED IN 100% OF HIS RACES RATHER THEN 5% LIKE HE DOES NOW...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

then proceeds to call Mr. Filion a "clown" and the OP (original poster) a "dumb mutt" :lol: :D :lol: :D

*the chit writes itself :ThmbUp:,,,,FACT,,,,LEGIT! :ThmbUp:

Tom
06-18-2015, 11:33 AM
I looked it up, and there are about a dozen variants of that quote. All are good.

I like the one where he is talking some woman at a party, and she accused him of being drunk. He replies, "Yes, I am, and you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."

That card, Winnie!

The Judge
06-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Jane Straus GrammerBook.com

thaskalos
06-23-2015, 09:04 PM
I like the one where he is talking some woman at a party, and she accused him of being drunk. He replies, "Yes, I am, and you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."

That card, Winnie!

It has been reported that a woman verbally assaulted Churchill during a parade...and ended her vitriolic remarks with: "If I were your wife, I'd give you POISON". Unfazed...he quietly replied to her: "Madam...if you were my wife, I'd DRINK it".

PhantomOnTour
06-23-2015, 09:15 PM
"The best case against Democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter"

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened"

-Churchill