PDA

View Full Version : Baffert knows

lamboguy
06-16-2015, 04:54 AM
i have to give this guy some big credit for bringing out his star AMERICAN PHAROAH to meet with the reporters and be touched by them. then he brings the horse out to the paddock during Steven Foster day and is presented the Kentucky Derby trophy. Bob Baffert gets it, he understands that this game is all about its fans, without them the game has nothing.

RacingFan1992
06-16-2015, 08:14 AM
I will admit he doesn't seem smug or arrogant like he did with his prior Triple Crown hopefuls. I hated Bob because I always saw him as one of those celebrity trainers but the fact that his attitude changed and he seemed more humble. I think Baffert deserved a Triple Crown and this is coming from one of his biggest knockers.

duncan04
06-16-2015, 09:27 AM
I will admit he doesn't seem smug or arrogant like he did with his prior Triple Crown hopefuls. I hated Bob because I always saw him as one of those celebrity trainers but the fact that his attitude changed and he seemed more humble. I think Baffert deserved a Triple Crown and this is coming from one of his biggest knockers.

His wife said he is a different man after the heart attack. That we are seeing a kinder person than before

Laminarman
06-16-2015, 09:40 AM

There are some parallels with Tom Coughlin of the NY Giants.

RacingFan1992
06-16-2015, 10:42 AM
To add to all of this I just heard on the radio that Baffert gave away all $150,000 of his winnings to three charities. I can't be mad at him now for doing such a nice thing.

bello
06-16-2015, 11:25 AM
I was at Churchill Saturday night and in the winners circle during the celebration. I met Zayat,Justin, his wife and his other kids, and they are genuinely wonderful, down to Earth people who mean it when they say AP is Americas horse.

Like Baffert, owners deserve credit as well. The crowd was electric.

Say what you will about Baffert or Zayat or even Churchill Downs. I give them all the credit in the world for getting things together Saturday night. It was an evening I will never forget noR will the 30,000 in the crowd who came out for AP, Live Music, White dress party, Pretty girls, wonderful atmosphere and Karma.....
.....AND NOT A SLOT MACHINE IN SIGHT!

RacingFan1992
06-16-2015, 11:35 AM

How racing should be.

For some reason Mr. Zayat reminds of John Hertz who owned Count Fleet. A guy who came to this country with not a nickle to his name and made something of himself. I love that most of the owners were people who worked their asses of with their own businesses. I know people say Mr. Zayat is controversial but look at Louis Wolfson, the guy went to jail. The past is the past. Congrats Mr. Zayat. You never know that American Pharoah might sire a Triple Crown winner. Look Out Gallant Fox and Omaha.

Laminarman
06-16-2015, 11:57 AM
I was at Churchill Saturday night and in the winners circle during the celebration. I met Zayat,Justin, his wife and his other kids, and they are genuinely wonderful, down to Earth people who mean it when they say AP is Americas horse.

Like Baffert, owners deserve credit as well. The crowd was electric.

Say what you will about Baffert or Zayat or even Churchill Downs. I give them all the credit in the world for getting things together Saturday night. It was an evening I will never forget noR will the 30,000 in the crowd who came out for AP, Live Music, White dress party, Pretty girls, wonderful atmosphere and Karma.....

You know what?? Horse racing needs to take a lesson from NASCAR and Indy car racing. What other sport can you get up close to the athletes and meet them? What other sports are the stars as accessible? I'm not a huge race fan, but the ones I've been to I've shaken the hands of Danica Patrick, Dan Weldon, Kurt Busch and quite a few others. I think if folks want horse racing to flourish there should be more "meet and greet" so people can get close to the trainers and horses and experience it. I know I would have loved to have that opportunity you had at CD.

bello
06-16-2015, 12:11 PM
So true, And many are so accessible.

A few year back Baffert was hanging around Pimlico in the grandstand the day before the Preakness. Many jst left him alone and were afraid to say hello. He wouldn't be in the grandstand had he not wanted to mingle and chat, so I went u to him and did so.

Likewise Steve Asmussen at Saratoga a couple of years ago a Saratoga. Watched his horse race frm the apron amongst us peasants. Though not as recognizable to the general public as Baffert, I got a chance to meet him and discuss his entrant and watch the race with him. I also imagine some horsepeople will be more aloof. We are all human. But I agree, exposure is what will save the game, and that is what the AP connections and CD have been about.

RacingFan1992
06-16-2015, 12:13 PM
So true, And many are so accessible.

A few year back Baffert was hanging around Pimlico in the grandstand the day before the Preakness. Many jst left him alone and were afraid to say hello. He wouldn't be in the grandstand had he not wanted to mingle and chat, so I went u to him and did so.

Likewise Steve Asmussen at Saratoga a couple of years ago a Saratoga. Watched his horse race frm the apron amongst us peasants. Though not as recognizable to the general public as Baffert, I got a chance to meet him and discuss his entrant and watch the race with him. I also imagine some horsepeople will be more aloof. We are all human. But I agree, exposure is what will save the game, and that is what the AP connections and CD have been about.

Anyone know where I can meet Shug?

Grits
06-16-2015, 12:29 PM
How racing should be.

For some reason Mr. Zayat reminds of John Hertz who owned Count Fleet. A guy who came to this country with not a nickle to his name and made something of himself. I love that most of the owners were people who worked their asses of with their own businesses. I know people say Mr. Zayat is controversial but look at Louis Wolfson, the guy went to jail. The past is the past. Congrats Mr. Zayat. You never know that American Pharoah might sire a Triple Crown winner. Look Out Gallant Fox and Omaha.

One of these men was born poor. The other was born wealthy.

I didn't know who Count Fleet's owner was until I read more a couple of weeks ago. Mr.Hertz came to this country with 0 as a child. He founded and owned, Yellow Cab and later, Hertz Car Rental. Talk about two money making machines! THIS was an enterprising man at a time when there was NO money...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D._Hertz

Mr.Zayat was born to a very wealthy family in Egypt, coming here at age, 18, to go to school. He got his Master's at Boston University and after trying a brief stint in NYC real estate, he went back to Egypt. With other investors in the beer business, he worked in the company for 10 years, and then sold the business to Heineken.

....As far as meeting Shug, you could probably greet him at Saratoga any morning. Same could be said for others. They train horses for a living but they're just like you and I. They're not the star athletes. The celebrities. Their horses are. ;)

RacingFan1992
06-16-2015, 12:37 PM
One of these men was born poor. The other was born wealthy.

I didn't know who Count Fleet's owner was until I read more a couple of weeks ago. Mr.Hertz came to this country with 0 as a child. He founded and owned, Yellow Cab and later, Hertz Car Rental. Talk about two money making machines! THIS was an enterprising man at a time when there was NO money...

....As far as meeting Shug, you could probably greet him at Saratoga any morning. Same could be said for others. They train horses for a living but they're just like you and I. They're not the star athletes. The celebrities. Their horses are. ;)

I loved the story of John. He went to the track one day and told his wife that there was a horse he liked and he wanted to get him. She said "You better not bring him home. I don't want you to buy that horse". In the race, John witnessed the colt reach over and bite another horse. He bought the horse and his wife asked "Why?" He said because I like a fighter, man or horse". Mrs. Hertz's biggest pets was produced by that fighter. He was the mighty Count Fleet.

Shug is, has been, and will always be my favorite trainer. I want to stop by there one day or another and talk to him.

elhelmete
06-16-2015, 12:39 PM
You know what?? Horse racing needs to take a lesson from NASCAR and Indy car racing. What other sport can you get up close to the athletes and meet them? What other sports are the stars as accessible? I'm not a huge race fan, but the ones I've been to I've shaken the hands of Danica Patrick, Dan Weldon, Kurt Busch and quite a few others. I think if folks want horse racing to flourish there should be more "meet and greet" so people can get close to the trainers and horses and experience it. I know I would have loved to have that opportunity you had at CD.

Trainers, jocks and the horses themselves are extremely accessible at the tracks I go to. :confused:

Laminarman
06-16-2015, 12:42 PM
You can tell my lack of experience then! I can't wait to get to Saratoga this summer.

Grits
06-16-2015, 12:48 PM
Hope you get to meet, Shug, or any other person in this business that you care to meet, R1992. It should be this way. :)

At Belmont, I took a bunch of photos of Shug's horses in the a.m. His exercise riders wear Phipps helmets (black with red ball on top) and usually black vests. Christophe Clement's, on cool mornings, have a CC navy blue, yellow trim light blanket. .... One comes to instantly recognize trainer's saddle cloths--initials, logos.

RacingFan1992
06-16-2015, 12:53 PM
I consider the Phipps to be the First Family of American Racing. The cherry and black give me shivers. Seeing them takes me back to the days (of which I wasn't born) to Buckpasser, Easy Goer, Seeking the Gold, Personal Ensign, My Flag, and Storm Flag Flying. I wanna get a group photo of Shug and the Phipps/Janneys. Awesome People.

lamboguy
06-16-2015, 01:00 PM
part of racing's problem has been that the horse is the real star. the problem with that is that they are not around that long , many times you get to love a horse and he's retired at the ripe old age of 3.

this year i am sure that the group that is responsible for AMERICAN PHAROAH would love to have him run at age 4 and and age 5. unfortunately it would cost more to insure him than he can win in purses, if the unthinkable thing happens the investors have nothing.

Zayat has put his money up for a long time now, and a lot of it he has thrown into the racing game. he has brought some pretty respectable horses to the track. he deserves to retire this horse and collect stud fees for a long time on him. he will only put the money back in the game, i think this sport got him hooked pretty good by now.

onefast99
06-16-2015, 02:03 PM
part of racing's problem has been that the horse is the real star. the problem with that is that they are not around that long , many times you get to love a horse and he's retired at the ripe old age of 3.

this year i am sure that the group that is responsible for AMERICAN PHAROAH would love to have him run at age 4 and and age 5. unfortunately it would cost more to insure him than he can win in purses, if the unthinkable thing happens the investors have nothing.

Zayat has put his money up for a long time now, and a lot of it he has thrown into the racing game. he has brought some pretty respectable horses to the track. he deserves to retire this horse and collect stud fees for a long time on him. he will only put the money back in the game, i think this sport got him hooked pretty good by now.
He has done well in this game from being humbled by the bankruptcy to becoming the most talked about owner in a positive way, I only wish him the best of luck. He reached and conquered the highest mountain possible in this game. Anyone who thinks being born rich means you have an advantage in this sport is dead wrong. Look at all the billionaires who never made it to the winners circle in any one of the three classics let alone all 3. Good luck to the Zayats and bring AP to Monmouth Park for the Haskell.

bello
06-16-2015, 02:51 PM
He will be going to the Haskell as long as he stays healthy

goatchaser
06-18-2015, 12:24 PM
At Santa Anita at Clockers Corner you can run into anyone in the racing game during Morning Work outs. Very accessible to the Public. Get yourself a coffee and a donut.

elhelmete
06-18-2015, 12:29 PM
At Santa Anita at Clockers Corner you can run into anyone in the racing game during Morning Work outs. Very accessible to the Public. Get yourself a coffee and a donut.

You sure can. In fact it's pretty much a guarantee. I've had brief conversations there (and I'm a nobody) with Jack Carava, Jack Van Berg, Phil D'Amato, Mike Mitchell, Mike Smith, Victor E, etc. My little girls each treasure the goggles they've weaseled off of various jocks.

Grits
06-18-2015, 01:46 PM
He headed home to SoCal early this a.m. aboard his Tex Sutton flight. He touched down a little over an hour ago.

http://www.suttonforwarding.com/FlightTracker.aspx

Photos of him loading on the van to head to Louisville flight out.

http://www.courier-journal.com/sports/

I LOVE this animal. Not only is he an incredible racehorse but he has such soulful and knowing eyes. Just so kind.

"Godspeed, American Pharoah. Stay healthy, and rest well." <3

thaskalos
06-18-2015, 02:00 PM
He has done well in this game from being humbled by the bankruptcy to becoming the most talked about owner in a positive way, I only wish him the best of luck. He reached and conquered the highest mountain possible in this game. Anyone who thinks being born rich means you have an advantage in this sport is dead wrong. Look at all the billionaires who never made it to the winners circle in any one of the three classics let alone all 3. Good luck to the Zayats and bring AP to Monmouth Park for the Haskell.

Just because the occasional commoner reaches racing's top-of-the-mountain doesn't mean that the "blue bloods" don't still hold a considerable advantage...

letswastemoney
06-18-2015, 04:32 PM
I spent the morning at Bob Baffert's barn and took some pictures of him, Victor and American Pharoah! It was so crowded.

He seems intelligent, although most Triple Crown winners should be. He loves the camera. They know when the clicking starts to pose.

letswastemoney
06-18-2015, 04:46 PM
I gave this one to the editor for Lady and The Track.

She was happy with it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHzpSbXWgAAA5AC.jpg

EMD4ME
06-18-2015, 06:42 PM
That's a nice pic!

Who's the horse with the groom? :rolleyes:

I'm soooooo kidding. That is such a nice pic. He does look to know that the camera is on :)

Vinman
06-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Anyone know where I can meet Shug?

A good friend of mine took his wife to 15 Church at Saratoga last year and there was Shug at the next table.

Vinman

nijinski
06-18-2015, 10:19 PM
Ears straight in that photo love it they are almost as big as Zenny's.