PDA

View Full Version : Northern California fairs

Valuist
06-15-2015, 08:56 PM
Any in particular worth checking out? I'll be out that way in August. Always thought there could be some opportunities for speed horses who tire on the Tapeta at GG to get loose and wire on real dirt.

freehouse2002
06-15-2015, 09:05 PM
I've only been to pleasanton a few years ago, but it was a really good time. If you are in the bay area in early August, they will be at Santa Rosa which I hear is supposed to be the nicest of the fairs. Its about an hour from SF. Otherwise, GGF has a short summer meet sandwiched in from about the 2nd week of August til the end of the month. Ferndale runs the latter part of the month, but is pretty far up CA. I'm hoping to make it up to Santa Rosa this year myself.

freehouse2002

Valuist
06-15-2015, 10:04 PM
I've only been to pleasanton a few years ago, but it was a really good time. If you are in the bay area in early August, they will be at Santa Rosa which I hear is supposed to be the nicest of the fairs. Its about an hour from SF. Otherwise, GGF has a short summer meet sandwiched in from about the 2nd week of August til the end of the month. Ferndale runs the latter part of the month, but is pretty far up CA. I'm hoping to make it up to Santa Rosa this year myself.

freehouse2002

Thanks.

Track Collector
06-15-2015, 11:11 PM
If you want to see something unique, which could disappear in the not too distance future, then Ferndale is your place.

Their DIRT track is a tight-turned 1/2 mile oval. Speed is king, particularly the 5f races. Each race day card has at least 1 pari-mutuel mule race (typically 3f), and Past Performance running lines (with a "Speed Index") are included in the racing program.

They also have some simulcasting (Sar+Dmr+??), at least when I was there about 17 years ago, and a very nice agricultural fair to walk around.

The race meet's signature race is the Humboldt County Marathon, which is held the last day of racing. It is 1 5/8 miles, so the fourth time to the finish line is the end. When I was there, the purse was something like $10K. Last time I remember reading the results charts it was $30K, which is a nice sweetener to get some nice horses to ship in.

One of Ferndale's biggest challenges is to get some of their racing dates to be exclusive, meaning no other Northern CA track like GG are running at the same time. When successful, exclusivity helps their handle TREMENDOUSLY. When not, handle is much lower, and, they find it harder to get horses when GG is running and carding races for the same level of horses (e.g. $4,000 claimers.).

It does not help either that Ferndale is viewed as the step child that no one wants or cares about, particularly at California Horse Racing Board meetings when race dates are submitted and subsequently approved. "Racing around a 1/2 mile bull ring track for lower purses just isn't horseracing" is the usual mindset of high level racing officials and owners. Very few seem interested in preserving this very unique racing experience.

No one knows what next year will bring, so I would highly recommend you include Ferndale on your visit list this year.

Valuist
06-15-2015, 11:18 PM
How far north of SF is Ferndale? Doesn't Cal Expo run t-breds for a couple weeks also?

Track Collector
06-15-2015, 11:24 PM
No one knows what next year will bring, so I would highly recommend you include Ferndale on your visit list this year.

While on this trip I was handicapping a race and came across a PP running line with the track SAL. This was from the race meet at Salem Oregon held over something like 4-6 weekends at the Salem fairgrounds. It would have been another 4+ total hours of driving on what was already a VERY long driving trip. Ferndale too was such a nice experience I decided to stay all 3 days.

DUMB!!!! That year (1999) happened to be last one for racing at Salem. :(

Moral of the story........get it (Ferndale) in while you can!

Track Collector
06-15-2015, 11:35 PM
How far north of SF is Ferndale? Doesn't Cal Expo run t-breds for a couple weeks also?

I don't remember the precise amount of time, but it involved constant 25-40 MPH winding left, then right, up/down through the Redwood forest.

Cal Expo does run T-breds, but not at the same time as Fer. All the Northern California "Fairs" have a coordinated racing date calendar, while commercial tracks like GG generally pursue self-interests.

Personally I am also worried about the future racing at Stockton, so I am looking at getting them in on my visit list this year.

Here is a link for the most currently approved dates: http://www.chrb.ca.gov/racing_schedule_2015.html

horses4courses
06-16-2015, 12:16 AM

freehouse2002

This :ThmbUp:

You will like Santa Rosa.
Nice track - both dirt and turf.
In a very nice part of California - wine country with lots of good restaurants.

Dan Montilion
06-16-2015, 01:00 AM
http://www.calfairs.com/

http://www.sonomacountyfair.com/race-track.php

Not sure why the sonoma county fair @ Santa Rose is not included on the CARF site.

Been a long time since I have been a full timer on the fair circuit. Though I do dabble. Pleasanton based horses have an advantage, it is the most hourse for course track on the circuit. Angle to watch for, if a horse tosses in a poor effort at P-Town, having been in good form. Simply draw a line through it next out. Many times the track is the excuse. At The Big Fresno fair they used to offer a new truck to the meets leading trainers. Many of the top NoCal claiming trainer will drop and fire at Fresno. Well at least that is the way it used to be.

Light
06-16-2015, 01:36 AM
Santa Rosa is the Del Mar of NC. Lots of well dressed, beautiful women who seem to come out of nowhere to attend the meet.

v j stauffer
06-16-2015, 03:51 AM

Ferndale is about 6 hours North if you start at the Golden Gate bridge. Straight up HWY 101.

v j stauffer
06-16-2015, 03:55 AM
http://www.calfairs.com/

http://www.sonomacountyfair.com/race-track.php

Not sure why the sonoma county fair @ Santa Rose is not included on the CARF site.

Been a long time since I have been a full timer on the fair circuit. Though I do dabble. Pleasanton based horses have an advantage, it is the most hourse for course track on the circuit. Angle to watch for, if a horse tosses in a poor effort at P-Town, having been in good form. Simply draw a line through it next out. Many times the track is the excuse. At The Big Fresno fair they used to offer a new truck to the meets leading trainers. Many of the top NoCal claiming trainer will drop and fire at Fresno. Well at least that is the way it used to be.

Three years ago, after several disputes, the Sonoma County Fair ended their affiliation with CARF.

Valuist
06-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Ferndale is about 6 hours North if you start at the Golden Gate bridge. Straight up HWY 101.

Thanks.

Are you calling any of these fair meets?

bello
06-18-2015, 04:31 PM
First Mule racing of the summer coming up at 4:50 ET today at Pleasanton.

Always a summer highlight.

whodoyoulike
06-18-2015, 07:41 PM
If you want to see something unique, which could disappear in the not too distance future, then Ferndale is your place.

Their DIRT track is a tight-turned 1/2 mile oval. Speed is king, particularly the 5f races. ...

I've bet on Fairplex races which I believe was also a 1/2 mile "bull ring". It takes some time to get used to the way races run. Everyone should just watch a few before betting because it is different or unique as you put it. Horses which have been running at regular type tracks get wiped out on a regular basis.

Track Collector
06-19-2015, 12:20 AM
I've bet on Fairplex races which I believe was also a 1/2 mile "bull ring". It takes some time to get used to the way races run. Everyone should just watch a few before betting because it is different or unique as you put it. Horses which have been running at regular type tracks get wiped out on a regular basis.

Fairplex was a 5/8-mile oval track in modern times, at least when I was there about 15-20 years ago. I recall reading somewhere that it was a 1/2-mile track at one time. (Maybe when it was called Pomona?). In any event, still very tight turns for horses who are used to the more gradual 1-mile track turns.

Surprisingly there are still a number of 1/2-mile tracks around, particularly in Oregon, where there are 5 of them with an active fair circuit.

lamboguy
06-19-2015, 05:19 AM
First Mule racing of the summer coming up at 4:50 ET today at Pleasanton.

Always a summer highlight.
its my highlight that's for sure. the computerized batch bettors get these wrong most of the time just like they were way off on their odds models with AMERICAN PHAROAH in the Belmont Stakes. that's how you get crazy payoffs in the win pools these days.

classhandicapper
06-19-2015, 07:41 AM
Anyone know what happened to Diana Skinner (trainer)?

bello
06-19-2015, 11:47 AM
its my highlight that's for sure. the computerized batch bettors get these wrong most of the time just like they were way off on their odds models with AMERICAN PHAROAH in the Belmont Stakes. that's how you get crazy payoffs in the win pools these days.

Yep, This lowly paper shuffling handicapper posted the $28.60 Cold Punch Exacta on the Lightning Lane. Also swept the NoCal fair card. Bullrings are easy pickings. Part two of mule season continues tonight Pleasanton Race 2. PT around 6:45 ET

Valuist
07-07-2015, 11:19 AM
I had a chance to visit Pleasanton for the first time this past weekend. I liked it. No, its not Saratoga. It was mostly claimers; thought the track played fairly neutral on Saturday. The wife was very impressed with the downtown area of Pleasanton; lots of places to eat and bars. Was surprised how big that area was.