View Full Version : My 5 --your 5?

Kash$
06-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Magic-PG
Mj-2G
Kareem-C
Bird-F
Duncan-PF

Never saw Wilt or Russell,Oscar or West..

Bench
Isiah
Lebron
Barkley
Malone
Akeem

Robert Goren
06-15-2015, 07:11 PM
Russell- C
Magic- PG
Jordan- SG
James-SF
Heinsohn-PF

I saw them all play and I think these are best. I know not many people would go with Tommy Heinsohn. The first 4 are pretty easy although Shaq did some things that no other center could do. James is probably the best player of all time. He looks like a high school senior playing with a bunch of 7th graders. James could probably make the list at PF if he played it. If he plays past his prime, James will probably ended up playing PF a lot. In the also ran dept. Malone was a better player than Duncan. He just had the bad luck to play in the Jordan era.
The game has changed a lot over the years and is in the midst of yet another change. It is hard to compare players of different eras without the eye test. The Warriors are what the game is going to look like in a few years. They have finally figured out how to use the three point shop as part of a basic offense.

thaskalos
06-15-2015, 07:21 PM
James
Karl Malone
Olajuwon
Jordan
Magic

Stillriledup
06-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Magic-PG
Mj-2G
Kareem-C
Bird-F
Duncan-PF

Never saw Wilt or Russell,Oscar or West..

Bench
Isiah
Lebron
Barkley
Malone
Akeem

Lebron
KD
Cp3
Blake
DEANDREJORDAN

Tor Ekman
06-15-2015, 09:00 PM
100% healthy Bill Walton (Portland 1977) was the greatest big man ever, IMHO

Stillriledup
06-15-2015, 09:50 PM
100% healthy Bill Walton (Portland 1977) was the greatest big man ever, IMHO

Walton not even in the same galaxy as Blake griffin. Blake has almost 2,000 more points scored in half the seasons, they don't breathe the same air, or, they won't breathe the same air when BG's career is over and you can go stat for stat, line for line.

Tor Ekman
06-15-2015, 10:57 PM
Did you see Walton play during the very limited time that he was 100% healthy? No shit he doesn't have the career stats as Griffin or many other big men who would be schooled by a healthy Walton if ever they played against him. Before he broke down, Walton was awesome in all facets of game, scoring, passing, rebounding, shot blocking.

Stillriledup
06-16-2015, 12:51 AM
Did you see Walton play during the very limited time that he was 100% healthy? No shit he doesn't have the career stats as Griffin or many other big men who would be schooled by a healthy Walton if ever they played against him. Before he broke down, Walton was awesome in all facets of game, scoring, passing, rebounding, shot blocking.

If a player has less points by a LOT as well as other stats that are 'less' its a hard sell to convince me a player with 'less' is better.

MutuelClerk
06-16-2015, 01:07 AM
Isiah PG

LeBron SG

Magic SF

Duncan PF

Shaq C

Sixth Man Rodman. He could jump three times before anyone else jumped twice. Doesn't have to score. Pre Madonna.....

tophatmert
06-16-2015, 09:49 AM
100% healthy Bill Walton (Portland 1977) was the greatest big man ever, IMHOWould be a great center in todays NBA . Good rim protector, great passer from the post , maybe the best outlet passer of all time. Put it inside to Bill and he will find any open three shooters or go to the hoop. Historically underrated due to injury and a personality that is not mainstream -or anystream for that matter. Good call Tor. A big helping of couchgrass for you

Robert Goren
06-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Walton not even in the same galaxy as Blake griffin. Blake has almost 2,000 more points scored in half the seasons, they don't breathe the same air, or, they won't breathe the same air when BG's career is over and you can go stat for stat, line for line.
Griffin is the classic case of a so-so player with great stats thanks to a very good point guard. Griffin is not even the best player on his team let alone in the league right now or all time. A healthy Walton would have destroyed Griffin, but then again there are several players in the NBA right now who have their way with Griffin every time they match up. A question for you, Do you actually watch NBA games or just look at stats?

MutuelClerk
06-16-2015, 10:39 AM
Blake Griffin belongs in the overrated thread. I'm not sure Walton was the best big man when healthy but he's very high on the list. Blake Griffin can jump that's about all he has going for him. Dunks bore me. Which is why I don't watch much anymore.

Inner Dirt
06-16-2015, 10:42 AM
Center- Wilt Chamberlain
Power Forward- Karl Malone
Small Forward- Lebron James
Shooting Guard- Michael Jordon
Point Guard- Magic Johnson

cj
06-16-2015, 10:53 AM
Lebron
KD
Cp3
Blake
DEANDREJORDAN

Three guys from team that can't even make a conference final. That is funny, good one.

Marshall Bennett
06-16-2015, 12:23 PM
I have no list, but how can anyone leave Wilt off their list? He dominated the sport for years. :confused:

cj
06-16-2015, 12:38 PM
I have no list, but how can anyone leave Wilt off their list? He dominated the sport for years. :confused:

He is kind of like Lebron (so far) in that he was the best player, but didn't win a lot of titles.

BlueChip@DRF
06-16-2015, 12:49 PM
He is kind of like Lebron (so far) in that he was the best player, but didn't win a lot of titles.

Wilt averaged 30.1 PPG - without the help of the 3-pt line.

cj
06-16-2015, 12:56 PM
Wilt averaged 30.1 PPG - without the help of the 3-pt line.

Did Wilt take many (any?) shots that would have been three pointers?

I know Wilt was great. I'm just stating why he often gets somewhat slighted for other players. He won only one title where he was top dog. The other was at the end of his career as a decent but past his prime player. He was fourth leading scorer on that team and led them in rebounding.

ReplayRandall
06-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Unmatched by any player ever, In his 1961-62 NBA season, playing for the Cincinnati Royals, Oscar Robertson AVERAGED a Triple Double for the season, and was only 6' 5", 220 lbs:

PPG-----APG------RPG

30.8----11.4-----12.5

Inner Dirt
06-16-2015, 01:11 PM

So far I was the only one that used him and he is one of the few players from the 60's who be just as good in today's game. How any one could use Bill Russell at center is beyond me. If Russell played today he would be another Ben Wallace.

Stillriledup
06-16-2015, 02:01 PM
Three guys from team that can't even make a conference final. That is funny, good one.

Lebron is the goat, he's carrying a bunch of backups to 2 finals wins, my 5 would beat your 5 pretty easily.

Stillriledup
06-16-2015, 02:08 PM
Griffin is the classic case of a so-so player with great stats thanks to a very good point guard. Griffin is not even the best player on his team let alone in the league right now or all time. A healthy Walton would have destroyed Griffin, but then again there are several players in the NBA right now who have their way with Griffin every time they match up. A question for you, Do you actually watch NBA games or just look at stats?

He's a so so player? And you're asking ME if I watch the games? Also how can 'so so players' have 'great stats' ?

its also nice that you add the caveat that Walton needs to be healthy, the best ability is AVAILability and griffin is much more available.

at careers end, Blake will have far superior stats than Walton in every category. There's also nothing to suggest Blake doesn't pass the eye test either.

OTM Al
06-16-2015, 02:15 PM
No one is building a team with this list. Don't think you could legitimately have Jordan and James on the same team and make it work. Build a team that would grind the opposition down. How about something like

C - Hakeem
F - Lebron
F - Rodman
G - Stockton
G - Magic

Got defense and got offense from anywhere on the floor and Rodman will do all the cleanup work for the scorers.

cj
06-16-2015, 03:39 PM
No one is building a team with this list. Don't think you could legitimately have Jordan and James on the same team and make it work. Build a team that would grind the opposition down. How about something like

C - Hakeem
F - Lebron
F - Rodman
G - Stockton
G - Magic

Got defense and got offense from anywhere on the floor and Rodman will do all the cleanup work for the scorers.

I actually do think James could play with Jordan because Lebron is pretty unselfish. He'd love not being top dog.

Inner Dirt
06-16-2015, 04:03 PM

C - Hakeem
F - Lebron
F - Rodman
G - Stockton
G - Magic

You have two point guards, how is that going to work?

tophatmert
06-16-2015, 04:38 PM
Shooters ,where are the shooters?

OTM Al
06-16-2015, 04:41 PM
I actually do think James could play with Jordan because Lebron is pretty unselfish. He'd love not being top dog.

Ok, good point on that maybe. Lebron can be unselfish because he is top dog though, so hard to tell. You see my point though, trying to build a team rather than a bunch of scorers.