PDA

View Full Version : New Canterbury video of stewards

JohnGalt1
06-15-2015, 06:24 PM
At www.canterburylive.com they just posted a video of the 3 stewards explaining how they make their decisions.

It's not often we hear from them. The example race is interesting.

I have a question--

Why do they interview the jockeys after an enquiry when in other sports the officials only confer amongst themselves?

Stillriledup
06-15-2015, 06:44 PM
Exactly, if you can't make a DQ off of video alone, just leave the results as is, no need to discuss the inquiry w biased observers.

JohnGalt1
06-15-2015, 07:29 PM
So you're saying at SRU Downs inquiries don't take as long because they don't have to interview everybody involved? :)

Stillriledup
06-15-2015, 08:16 PM
So you're saying at SRU Downs inquiries don't take as long because they don't have to interview everybody involved? :)

Exactly right, we don't have the lag in time while our stews check their tickets ;) you get paid eh-sap!

Tom
06-15-2015, 09:12 PM
At www.canterburylive.com

Why do they interview the jockeys after an enquiry when in other sports the officials only confer amongst themselves?

To allow fair time for the bidding process?

therussmeister
06-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Because in other sports the officials are right there on the field, not in a booth. Because in other sports the athletes don't get to claim foul. The stewards need to talk to the claimant to be certain the nature of the claimed foul.

If you are not satisfied with my answer I encourage you to submit this question at the link you posted.

Stillriledup
06-16-2015, 12:19 AM
Because in other sports the officials are right there on the field, not in a booth. Because in other sports the athletes don't get to claim foul. The stewards need to talk to the claimant to be certain the nature of the claimed foul.

If you are not satisfied with my answer I encourage you to submit this question at the link you posted.

Would it be too hard to just pay off the winners if you cant make a DQ strictly on the video?

therussmeister
06-16-2015, 01:34 AM
Would it be too hard to just pay off the winners if you cant make a DQ strictly on the video?
The stewards need to talk to the claimant to be certain the nature of the claimed foul.

If you saw the video in the original post you would have noted that they say they do exactly that.

Bettowin
06-16-2015, 01:47 AM
If you follow Canterbury at all you will see they really try to show what is in question with every replay angle they can find. The track announcer tries to make sure everyone knows what they are looking at all while the stewards are making a decision. IMO, they do the best job at showing everything and explaining the outcome. Same goes with photo finishes. A real customer friendly track.

chadk66
06-17-2015, 11:16 PM
Paul Allen is a great announcer. I think his experience in the play by play booth for vikings football really helps him to interact with the racing fans explaining things in good detail.

EMD4ME
06-17-2015, 11:17 PM
If you follow Canterbury at all you will see they really try to show what is in question with every replay angle they can find. The track announcer tries to make sure everyone knows what they are looking at all while the stewards are making a decision. IMO, they do the best job at showing everything and explaining the outcome. Same goes with photo finishes. A real customer friendly track.

In my limited exposure to them, I agree.

JohnGalt1
07-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Canterbury posted a new interview with a steward on how they handled a race where five gates were slow to open.

mickey_arnold
07-01-2015, 08:10 PM
At www.canterburylive.com (http://www.canterburylive.com) they just posted a video of the 3 stewards explaining how they make their decisions.

It's not often we hear from them. The example race is interesting.

I have a question--

Elementary my dear Watson...The stewards interview the jockeys to see if they feel they're getting the short end of the stick !

egreen
07-02-2015, 09:35 AM
I don't recall the specific instance, but there was a jockey at some track who challenged a DQ in court and the judge asked if the stewards had questioned the participants involved before rendering a decision. Told they had not, he ruled in favor of the jockey. So as silly as it seems to interview the jocks, the stews are protecting themselves legally by doing so.