PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Sunday, June 14

Teach
06-14-2015, 12:07 PM
Race One:

:3: Magnolias In Bloom is out of Atrea, the daughter of Storm Cat. Atrea is out of the Capote mare, New Dice who produced the stakes-winning Multo Grande. What’s all this leading up to: a trip to the winner’s circle? Possibly. In a race filled with first-time starters, I like this first-timer to make her move from the rail. Trainer Tom Proctor is good with turf starts. This 2-year-old filly’s morning work-tab has been very good. Jose Lezcano is in the irons.

Others: :4: , :2b: , :7:

Race Two:

:2: She’s Marvy has faced much better. This Bellamy Road-bred chestnut filly should be out an going when the horses leave the gate in this six-panels claiming sprint. This spring, this filly moved from the Steve Klesaris barn to Michelle Nevin’s. Trainer Nevin is very good with drops off a claim, albeit with a limited sampling. “The Bug,” Eric Cancel, is in the irons.

Others: :5: , :1: , :6:

Race Three:

:1: Icefield narrowly missed at six furlongs a little less than a month ago, This 3-year-old colt now stretches out an added panel against a similar MSW crowd. Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin does very well with both second grass races and 2nd time on Lasix. Luis Saez is in the stirrups.

Others: :5: , :6: , :7:

Race Four:

:7: Kabang is my choice in this MSW route on the main. The stretch out should help this Tapit-bred colt whose lineage indicates he should handle the added distance of ground. The colt’s trainer, Tom Albertrani, does well with both with beaten favorites and sprint to route. Jockey Luis Saez reprises the ride.

Others: :3: , :5: , :6:

Race Five:

In this optional claiming turf-route, my pick is the aptly named Freud-bred gelding, :12: Analysis. Admittedly, this George Weaver trainee has been on the couch, I mean on the shelf for several months. And yes, this gelding’s morning work-tab has been mediocre. Yet, the gelding has won twice and finished second twice on the lawn in eight lifetime tries. Trainer Weaver, although not having a banner meet, does have the knack of winning these types of races. Rajiv Maragh is in the irons.

Others: :9: , :5: , :7:

Race Six:

:4: Hail Cornell (“The Gorges Are Gorgeous”) is my pick. You don’t have to be an Ivy League graduate to figure out that this aptly named Cayuga’s Waters’ daughter has a distinct chance of winning this turf claiming sprint, Trainer Bill Mott does very well with horses making their second start off a layoff. This filly now faces the kind she can compete with after facing much tougher competition. Jockey Junior Alvarado, he does very well in turf sprint races, reprises the ride.

Others: :9: , :6: , :7:

Race Seven:

In this 6-panels non-winners of three, lifetime, claiming sprint, my pick is :2: Sharp Quality. This Gary Gullo trainee goes from turf to dirt. Something that trainer Gullo does very well with. The slight cut back should help this filly’s chances, as well. Eric Cancel is in the irons.

Others: :5: , :6: , :1:

Race Eight:

:8: My Year Is a Day is my pick in the non-graded Wild Applause Stakes at one mile on the Widener Turf Course. The French-bred filly has enjoyed great success on the lawn having hit the tote in five out of seven lifetime tries; she’s one for one at the distance. This 3-year-old Kingmambo-bred was last seen about a month and a half ago at Keeneland in the Grade III Edgewood; she finished fifth (trouble line said “Fought restraint early”). Jose Lezcano is in the irons for trainer Graham Motion.

Others: :7: , :6: , :5:

Race Nine:

In the finale, my choice is :8: Hard Rock Playin in this maiden- claiming turf sprint. I must admit that I like this gelding’s turf breeding; it does suggest that this gelding should handle the lawn. Trainer Terri Pompay is nearly 20% with horses entered in maiden claimers. Though not quantifiable, she does have a knack of conditioning winning horses in these types of races. Luis Saez is in the irons.

Others: :2: , :1: , :4: