PDA

View Full Version : NRA's worst nightmare - new gun safety study

horses4courses
06-12-2015, 07:09 PM
A law requiring people to apply for a permit before buying a handgun helped Connecticut quietly reduce its firearm-related homicide rate by 40 percent, according to a new study out from Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research. And this week, announced in conjunction with the research, lawmakers from Connecticut introduced a measure to encourage other states to adopt their own permit programs.

http://www.salon.com/2015/06/12/this_is_the_nras_worst_nightmare_the_new_gun_safet y_study_that_gun_nuts_dont_want_you_to_hear_about/#st_refDomain=t.co&st_refQuery=/zclQj8fWVC

http://media.salon.com/2015/04/wayne_lapierre2.jpg

Prytanis
06-12-2015, 07:58 PM
An why are the results of the study news?

horses4courses
06-12-2015, 08:03 PM
An why are the results of the study news?

Any pressure on the NRA that may have an impact
on a federal level is rare and, thus, newsworthy.

Prytanis
06-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Amen to that!!!

I wasn't questioning your post,I was just stating the obvious.

horses4courses
06-12-2015, 08:12 PM
Amen to that!!!

I wasn't questioning your post,I was just stating the obvious.

:ThmbUp:

So used to dissing around here,
I'm a little gun shy........ :lol:

Clocker
06-12-2015, 08:28 PM

The likelihood of this study having any impact is zero.

Obama and Eric Holder were beating this dead horse since day 1 of this administration. They couldn't get anything done even with a Democratic congress. Except for those in the most rabid moonbat districts, Democrats in Congress don't even want to have to vote on the record about gun control.

This is not because of the NRA. The NRA is the tip of the ice berg. It does not move the opinion of the public or the Congress. It communicates the opinion of the public to Congress. The NRA is not a cause, it is an effect.

Prytanis
06-12-2015, 08:39 PM

IMO yours is a voice of reason amongst the cacophony!

fast4522
06-12-2015, 08:51 PM

Look at it this way, your agenda has been taking slow steady losses on this issue. Look forward for that trend to continue, I will gladly remind you in the next few years as you see decay of your agenda.

Prytanis
06-12-2015, 08:58 PM
A gun for everyone!!!!

Clocker
06-12-2015, 09:03 PM
The voice of reason says that firearm homicides dropped significantly in the 10 years because CT passed stricter gun control laws in 1995. I wonder what happened to the rest of the country over that time period?

From Wiki:

https://en.wiki2.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Ushomicidesbyweapon.svg/im345-640px-Ushomicidesbyweapon.svg.png (http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/6b/c6/6bc6c3ec971bb04093e25109f30ebc30.png?itok=YXgBfist )

JustRalph
06-12-2015, 09:21 PM
Texans will be running to the foundry to melt their guns down.

The NRA is quaking in their boots

horses4courses
06-12-2015, 09:24 PM
Texans will be running to the foundry to melt their guns down.

The NRA is quaking in their boots

It's a win-win, anyway.
Y'all just need them to protect yourselves from each other.

fast4522
06-12-2015, 09:37 PM
3,700 illegal immigrant ‘Threat Level 1’ criminals released, it is not like they are going to knock on the NRA's doors, your it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jun/3/3700-illegal-immigrant-threat-level-1-criminals-re/?page=all

Valuist
06-12-2015, 10:40 PM
When I first saw the thread, I thought it said "NBA's biggest nightmare". In light of the Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenden incidents, it might've been appropriate.

JustRalph
06-12-2015, 11:37 PM
3,700 illegal immigrant ‘Threat Level 1’ criminals released, it is not like they are going to knock on the NRA's doors, your it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jun/3/3700-illegal-immigrant-threat-level-1-criminals-re/?page=all

Excellent point.

Tom
06-13-2015, 09:28 AM
IMO yours is a voice of reason amongst the cacophony!

His is the voice of cacophony, if that is what I think it is~! :D

horses4courses
06-13-2015, 09:39 AM
His is the voice of cacophony, if that is what I think it is~! :D

That is a big word for you, alright.

TJDave
06-13-2015, 01:12 PM
This is not because of the NRA. The NRA is the tip of the ice berg. It does not move the opinion of the public or the Congress. It communicates the opinion of the public to Congress. The NRA is not a cause, it is an effect.

Don't be coy. The NRA communicates more than opinions.

When money talks, Congress listens.

Clocker
06-13-2015, 01:30 PM

Where does the money come from?

Tom
06-13-2015, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by TJDave

You make it sound like a bad thing.
Is that not exactly what Obama has been doing since the day he took office - out fund raising? And Bush before him, and Clinton since he reached puberty, uh, when he turned 2?

At least the NRA is funding from AMERICANS. :rolleyes:

Inner Dirt
06-13-2015, 02:02 PM
Here is what is said in the article.

Researchers at Johns Hopkins reviewed the homicide rate in the 10 years before the law was implemented and compared it to longitudinal estimates of what the rate would have been had the law not be enacted.

Notice it says "longitudinal estimates", that 40% is based on a biased guess.
That study isn't worth spit. Connecticut's murder rate was way less than half the national average before all the gun laws were enacted. As a whole it would be considered a safe place. How are all the gun laws working in East St. Louis, DC and Chicago?

Clocker
06-13-2015, 02:06 PM
At least the NRA is funding from AMERICANS. :rolleyes:

The NRA lobbying money comes from the membership, voluntarily given. The members provide the money because the NRA is speaking for them, because they approve of what the NRA is doing.

More important than that is the votes. NRA members vote, and that scares a lot of politicians. Al Gore's views on gun control were a major factor in his inability to carry his home state in 2000, and if he had carried TN he would have won the election. That lesson has not been forgotten by the Dems.

TJDave
06-13-2015, 02:21 PM
Where does the money come from?

The bulk of the group's money now comes in the form of contributions, grants, royalty income, and advertising, much of it originating from gun industry sources.

Today's NRA is a virtual subsidiary of the gun industry," said Josh Sugarmann, executive director of the Violence Policy Center. "While the NRA portrays itself as protecting the 'freedom' of individual gun owners, it's actually working to protect the freedom of the gun industry to manufacture and sell virtually any weapon or accessory."

http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-industry-funds-nra-2013-1