PDA

View Full Version : Bloomberg Opinion Writer Calls to End Horseracing

HalvOnHorseracing
06-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Kavitha Davidson a staff writer at Bloomberg View did an opinion piece calling for the end of horseracing. It looked to me like it was written by someone who did a couple of internet searches and has a very low understanding of how the sport works. If you haven't read it, it's at
http://host.madison.com/news/opinion/column/kavitha-davidson-hurray-american-pharoah-now-let-s-end-horse/article_585b0640-3a02-56fc-8bda-e68a50a78558.html

alf1380
06-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Kavitha Davidson a staff writer at Bloomberg View did an opinion piece calling for the end of horseracing. It looked to me like it was written by someone who did a couple of internet searches and has a very low understanding of how the sport works. If you haven't read it, it's at
http://host.madison.com/news/opinion/column/kavitha-davidson-hurray-american-pharoah-now-let-s-end-horse/article_585b0640-3a02-56fc-8bda-e68a50a78558.html

It's best to ignore the ignorant BS that gets written for clicks on the internet.

What she wants is a uproar to lead to thousands of nasty emails, tweets, and letters to the editor.

Just let her dumb "piece" die.

rastajenk
06-11-2015, 06:36 PM
She did enough internet searches to support her obvious pre-existing bias. Unfortunately, to me, there are too many people that say they love racing that share her opinion on some of these issues. I'm looking at you, commenters at Paulick Report and DRF, and some here, among many other sites. When you share opinions with those that would kill you, it might be time to think of Pete Seeger and ask yourself, which side are you on?

thaskalos
06-11-2015, 06:42 PM
She did enough internet searches to support her obvious pre-existing bias. Unfortunately, to me, there are too many people that say they love racing that share her opinion on some of these issues. I'm looking at you, commenters at Paulick Report and DRF, and some here, among many other sites. When you share opinions with those that would kill you, it might be time to think of Pete Seeger and ask yourself, which side are you on?

If we don't agree 100% with the game as it stands today...then we are AGAINST it, in other words.

Stillriledup
06-11-2015, 06:45 PM
If your kid is acting stupid and you say "stop acting stupid" its much different than when a stranger tells your kid to stop acting stupid.

If you are an "outsider" your 'opinion' holds much less weight than if you wrote the same exact stuff while being seriously invested in the sport.

If you (the writer) arent in the sport why would you care if it ends? Why not myob?

HalvOnHorseracing
06-11-2015, 06:48 PM

I did an opinion on my blog halveyonhorseracing.com. I would argue it is time to settle the issues within the sport and show a united front to those on the outside.

HalvOnHorseracing
06-11-2015, 06:50 PM
If your kid is acting stupid and you say "stop acting stupid" its much different than when a stranger tells your kid to stop acting stupid.

If you are an "outsider" your 'opinion' holds much less weight than if you wrote the same exact stuff while being seriously invested in the sport.

If you (the writer) arent in the sport why would you care if it ends? Why not myob?

I suspect it is the general disdain they have for what they view as animal cruelty. But I would still be concerned that racing has its own schisms that don't seem to be getting resolved soon. A house divided against itself cannot stand, or something like that.

HalvOnHorseracing
06-11-2015, 07:02 PM
It's best to ignore the ignorant BS that gets written for clicks on the internet.

What she wants is a uproar to lead to thousands of nasty emails, tweets, and letters to the editor.

Just let her dumb "piece" die.

I'm sort of a Michael Bllomberg-esque guy on those instances. You don't ignore the small time criminals because eventually they become the big time criminals. Or was that Giuliani? Not that I've got a master plan here.

johnhannibalsmith
06-11-2015, 07:35 PM
So for the benefit of the thoroughbred, she thinks extinction of the species over the next few decades is the solution. You go girl.

rastajenk
06-11-2015, 09:08 PM
Exactly. These things need to be thought through thoroughly. What is the benefit, Mr. Halvey, of 'settling the issues within the sport and showing a united front to those on the outside," which, to me, is conceding that something needs to be done in the first place, which I, for one, am not willing to concede? Why shouldn't the different jurisdictions be able to respond to different pressures in their own ways, and maybe find an optimum way forward from among the many, rather than have a top-down approach that would more likely be the result of compromising half-measures? Who is this foe that needs to be defended against in a circle-the-wagons fashion, and do they really have the standing to demand that racing change its ways? I say, "Sod off, swampy!" and take back the narrative. :p

thespaah
06-11-2015, 09:55 PM
Written to acquire clicks. Which is how these people are compensated.
It's a pox on real journalism because real reporting and research are being replaced with conjecture and unsubstantiated opinion....
No...I will NOT read this woman's tripe.
IMO for opinion pieces to be valid, they have to be based on facts, thought provoking and worthy of discussion...The writer should also make themselves available to discuss the subject matter...

HalvOnHorseracing
06-11-2015, 10:38 PM
Exactly. These things need to be thought through thoroughly. What is the benefit, Mr. Halvey, of 'settling the issues within the sport and showing a united front to those on the outside," which, to me, is conceding that something needs to be done in the first place, which I, for one, am not willing to concede? Why shouldn't the different jurisdictions be able to respond to different pressures in their own ways, and maybe find an optimum way forward from among the many, rather than have a top-down approach that would more likely be the result of compromising half-measures? Who is this foe that needs to be defended against in a circle-the-wagons fashion, and do they really have the standing to demand that racing change its ways? I say, "Sod off, swampy!" and take back the narrative. :p

The primary divisive issue is use of raceday Lasix, and I've argued this is an issue in which the anti-horseracing and anti-Lasix people have become strange allies. I'm seeing that as obviously a bad thing but perhaps it wasn't as obvious as I thought. The point I was making was as long as you have trainers on opposite sides of the Lasix issue dividing racing from within, this can't be a good thing. You have states with zero tolerance for certain medications (e.g., Stanozolol in MD) and adjacent states with de minimis levels for the same medication. If you believe nothing needs to be done to unify the sport with regard to raceday medication, or medication standards, that somehow states should be left to respond to these pressures in their own way, I not sure we could have a useful discussion about the issue. Give me a successful professional sport that operates using the 38 jurisdiction horseracing model? You see top down, I see the removal of chaos and ability to get everybody rowing in the same direction and at the same beat. I see it as the metaphorical everyone singing from the same page in the hymnal. If you believe the anti folks can't kill a sport because it is cruel to animals, spend a few minutes with the ex-dog racing industry.

pandy
06-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Her take on the lasix problem was on point, the rest is weird.

The problems created by the use of lasix on every horse, obviously an abusive use of the drug since most horses don't need it, is not only bad for the sport and the horses but it will get worse. There will be more pressure from PETA and other organizations and the problems that lasix has created will not go away. It should be banned.

HalvOnHorseracing
06-11-2015, 10:48 PM
Written to acquire clicks. Which is how these people are compensated.
It's a pox on real journalism because real reporting and research are being replaced with conjecture and unsubstantiated opinion....
No...I will NOT read this woman's tripe.
IMO for opinion pieces to be valid, they have to be based on facts, thought provoking and worthy of discussion...The writer should also make themselves available to discuss the subject matter...

She's dangerous in the sense she represents a constituency working to kill the sport. Her opinion piece appeared in quite a few newspapers, including the Washington Post, home of Andy Beyer. She was given mainstream exposure and legitimacy for writing up certain things that were alarmist and just plain wrong. For example, she seems to say that there 26 allowable raceday medications. Perhaps she is contactable, and I expect if she is she got bombarded. These people are not seen as cranks except by people in the racing community. To a lot of people who know nothing about racing she seems to make sense.

HalvOnHorseracing
06-11-2015, 11:12 PM
Her take on the lasix problem was on point, the rest is weird.

The problems created by the use of lasix on every horse, obviously an abusive use of the drug since most horses don't need it, is not only bad for the sport and the horses but it will get worse. There will be more pressure from PETA and other organizations and the problems that lasix has created will not go away. It should be banned.

I did a piece called Lasix: Fact and Myth. Before the development of the endoscope many thought that only horses that show epistaxis were "bleeders" and only 3-5% of horses show blood from the nostrils. This is where the myth that most horses don't bleed originated. Endoscopic studies show that 55-80% of horses show signs of EIPH (essentially bleeding in the lungs) after a race, and it worsens with age.

I'm not sure what the problems are with Lasix since there don't appear to be studies that show long term harm from getting a total number of Lasix shots equivalent to the lifetime starts for a horse. There are arguments both real and anecdotal that it is performance enhancing beyond controling EIPH and that is a legitimate concern. It is also the case that the modern use of Lasix is to treat horses with lower doses than in the past.

I think there was a point in the article where she inferred Lasix caused a horse to snap a canon bone.

Regardless of anyone's opinion on Lasix, my point was simply that as an industry there needs to be one policy that everyone can get behind and promote, whether that policy is to allow Lasix or ban it. The fact that Lasix divides the people who love racing as well as people who want to kill it makes it a problem that needs resolution for sure.

Track Phantom
06-12-2015, 06:03 AM
Who cares what she thinks?!?

There is a lot wrong with horse racing, but quite a bit right, as well. I'm fatigued by these "drive-by-shooting" articles written to shock by people that have zero involvement or investment in the game.

...moving on.

DeltaLover
06-12-2015, 08:51 AM

I do not agree with posting links to this kind of completely ridiculous articles, since by doing so, you simply benefit them as they are getting more publicity and the manage to spread their nonsense to a wider public.

Obviously, the author of this article is a fanatic, who knows next to nothing about horse racing and is trying to impress by adopting an idiotic ideology...

Please, do not give any more action to these stupid article..

HalvOnHorseracing
06-12-2015, 10:46 AM
I do not agree with posting links to this kind of completely ridiculous articles, since by doing so, you simply benefit them as they are getting more publicity and the manage to spread their nonsense to a wider public.

Obviously, the author of this article is a fanatic, who knows next to nothing about horse racing and is trying to impress by adopting an idiotic ideology...

Please, do not give any more action to these stupid article..

While they may be completely ridiculous to you, they resonate with a large percentage of animal rights people. This piece appeared in numerous newspapers across the country. I did very little to "spread this nonsense" by posting it on a Forum for horseracing people.

Obviously she is a know-nothing fanatic to people who understand the game, but to everyone else she more likely appears to have a reasonable point of view. How many people know that her statement that there are 26 approved raceday medications is wrong? Other than those of us in the sport, almost no one. The rest of the world thinks horses are being overmedicated and bred to be freaks. That is not an insignificant issue.

You ignore such people at your own peril. The harm they can do is far greater than you think. I've actually been stunned by the response here that we shouldn't read such garbage, we should ignore their message (which is getting far greater distribution than this forum), and we shouldn't tell anyone it is out there. I'm further stunned that people would attack the messenger as opposed to the message.

You can bet your ass I'll post that crap as long as it comes from legitimate sources. We need to know so that when they come after a track we can't claim we didn't know it was coming.

pandy
06-12-2015, 10:59 AM
Delta Lover said that this post shouldn't be published here and that her article was ridiculous...but when I suggested that his thread on Andy Serling and Mike Beer was ridiculous and should be removed, guess what he said...

He said he doesn't believe in censorship and everyone has a right to their opinion.

Unbelievable!

FantasticDan
06-12-2015, 11:14 AM
This cartoon made the rounds in the week before the Belmont..

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.10507634.1433442820!/httpImage/image.jpg

Robert Goren
06-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Horse racing is so much trouble that an article by her is not going to make any difference. Who cares what she wrote? Her audience is very limited. A sport whose survival is dependent on money taken from other forms of gambling has bigger problems that how the PETA feels about how it treats horses.

Robert Goren
06-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately there is a lot of truth in the Davies cartoon. There would be more if it were not for the fact that some of the drugs used in horse racing make race horse meat unfit for human consumption. How sad is that?

Greyfox
06-12-2015, 11:26 AM
It's a weak news day when a writer of that ilk pens an article to can horse racing.
Of course , by extension she should be calling for the end of dog shows, cat shows, dressage and equine show jumping and so on.
But mention banning those competitions and this artsy fartsy type of writer will hear none of it. "They're forms of art" she'll plea.

magwell
06-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Be nice if they got rid of the jumping races at Belmont and Saratoga .....:)

HalvOnHorseracing
06-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Delta Lover said that this post shouldn't be published here and that her article was ridiculous...but when I suggested that his thread on Andy Serling and Mike Beer was ridiculous and should be removed, guess what he said...

He said he doesn't believe in censorship and everyone has a right to their opinion.

Unbelievable!

I've noted that if there weren't stupid people there would be no smart people. Without the less intelligent, we'd all just be average. In an ironic way we desperately need them. The important thing is to make sure they get to the track to bet their money.

thaskalos
06-12-2015, 02:28 PM
I am divided on this issue...and I honestly don't know which way to turn. I am a horseplayer...and have been one for many years. The game has brought great joy to my life...and I have tried to repay it by supporting it with my wagered dollars, and also by the considerable time that I spend trying to provide some advice, which I deem useful, to other players...who reach out to me for guidance, both live...and online.

But I am also a sensitive human being...and as such, I cannot turn a blind eye to some of the huge negatives that this game has associated itself with, for far too long. Nor can I fake outrage, when I encounter the occasional scathing anti-horseracing article that I see. To me, scandal has been a part of horse racing for decades...and the scathing articles are to be expected, and are sometimes well deserved.

I will put the lasix argument aside for the time being, because I admit to being a little unclear on this issue...and will focus on something else, which I consider much more sinister and infuriating to horseplayers and general public alike.

Autopsies have been performed on horses who have suffered fatal breakdowns, and the results have been published...and have even been posted here on this very site. The results of these procedures are very damaging to the integrity and the reputation of this sport...and no one knows if anything is being done to remedy this sad situation. And we, as "loyal horseplayers", look the other way, for fear of heaping even more controversy upon our already much-maligned sport...and our apathy risks making things even worse. According to published reports...approximately 80% of the horses who have succumbed to fatal breakdowns on the track, have broken their limbs on the exact same spot where prior track-related trauma had been detected...indicating that prior injuries were not allowed to properly heal before the horse was sent back to the track. It's a devastating finding, IMO...especially when you consider that there are humans who are asked to ride on the backs of these magnificent animals. There are horses out there who are loaded up with powerful painkillers, and are sent out on legs which are too numbed up to give notice to the poor animals of a pre-existing injury. It's a shameful practice, and it has been widely reported and we know about it...but we look the other way, because we want to remain loyal to the sport that we love.

Another disgrace that horse racing has associated itself with is the slaughterhouse situation. All of us know the fate which ultimately awaits so many of these majestic creatures once their racing careers are over...but we block this horrific image right out of our minds. We cheer the equine athlete as it comes thundering down the stretch...but we are apathetic of the athlete's plight down the road. Out of sight, out of mind...as the saying goes.

I love this game...and so do all the other posters here. But "love" doesn't mean just standing and cheering on the sidelines. Love also means caring deeply about these majestic animals, who are the REAL stars of this show...and who have brought so much joy and excitement to us for all these years.

So...when some smart-alec from this site tells me that I am being "too negative" whenever I point out what I perceive to be the evils of the sport...I tell him that I love the sport...but I love these magnificent animals even more.

pandy
06-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Well put.

Ignoring problems doesn't solve anything.

whodoyoulike
06-12-2015, 03:06 PM
It's this person's opinion who has a right to express.

But, who is Kavitha Davidson? I'm unfamiliar with this person.

Is s(he) a Bloomberg writer who specializes on horse racing issues?

I think we've all discussed before on here the problems with the excessive use or abuse of administering horses drugs. The responsibilities fall on the owners and trainers.

And, why do I have to continually need to scroll to the right and left on the 2nd page of this thread while reading each post?

johnhannibalsmith
06-12-2015, 03:07 PM

And, why do I have to continually need to scroll to the right and left on the 2nd page of this thread while reading each post?

The cartoon image is probably too big for whatever you are viewing on.

whodoyoulike
06-12-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks. So, it's FantasticDan's fault.

DeltaLover
06-12-2015, 03:27 PM

Unbelievable!

If the author of the article had posted here in PA it would had been a different story, this is completely different than giving it additional publicity on the web..

I see that you like to continue, our discussion about the pubic handicappers..

As a regular bettor and customer of the NYRA race tracks, it is completely ethical for me, to hold my own opinions about anything related to how they operate their business. Having said this, I think that in the case of the recent Triple Crown Winner their public handicapers did a remarkably poor job, not only from the pure handicapping perspective but also sending the wrong message to the wide public. I really do not see anything wrong about me, expressing my opinions in PA, assuming that I keep my tone nice and polite and I never offend anyone else.

nijinski
06-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Cantebury Downs was put in an embarrassing position last month
when their former popular horse Tubby Time who also was showcased
on their website got pulled from a kill pen . He was in bad condition .

Their VP is paying for 6 months of his rehab and original owners and trainer
area are taking the responsibility to assure the rest of his care .
This is just one case in point .

Lasix can be debated , scientifically . The casting off we have no debate
it needs to be better addressed . It's no secret on social media .

Starting from the breeders down . owners trainers and the track .

:ThmbUp: to Three Chimneys who have taken back home some
of the at risk horses they bred....and to the farms that are now donating on their behalf . We just need more of this !

I love this sport and I've brought friends and family to experience it
but I also adore these beautiful animals they are the main attraction .

I brought this up in this thread because the Bloomberg writers page
had several troubling comments regarding this issue .

nijinski
06-12-2015, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately there is a lot of truth in the Davies cartoon. There would be more if it were not for the fact that some of the drugs used in horse racing make race horse meat unfit for human consumption. How sad is that?

Unfortunately they will welcome anything to Mexico .

thespaah
06-12-2015, 04:26 PM
While they may be completely ridiculous to you, they resonate with a large percentage of animal rights people. This piece appeared in numerous newspapers across the country. I did very little to "spread this nonsense" by posting it on a Forum for horseracing people.

Obviously she is a know-nothing fanatic to people who understand the game, but to everyone else she more likely appears to have a reasonable point of view. How many people know that her statement that there are 26 approved raceday medications is wrong? Other than those of us in the sport, almost no one. The rest of the world thinks horses are being overmedicated and bred to be freaks. That is not an insignificant issue.

You ignore such people at your own peril. The harm they can do is far greater than you think. I've actually been stunned by the response here that we shouldn't read such garbage, we should ignore their message (which is getting far greater distribution than this forum), and we shouldn't tell anyone it is out there. I'm further stunned that people would attack the messenger as opposed to the message.

You can bet your ass I'll post that crap as long as it comes from legitimate sources. We need to know so that when they come after a track we can't claim we didn't know it was coming.
I'm going to go at this so called animal rights stuff.
Most of these animal rights activists like many other activists have little to no credibility in that they talk a good game but don't walk the walk...
These animal rights freaks, and most of them are freaks, squawk about furry cuddly thingies yet the very home in which they live probably resulted in the disappearance of habitat. Yet these people run around the country shutting down businesses and industry over concerns about habitat.
Remember that North Spotted Owl thing in the Pacific NW?....Yeah, all the sudden entire logging businesses went dead because these people go the ear of some federal bureaucrats and a few politicians who realized they could scoop up a voting bloc if they agreed to stop the logging....A few years and thousands of jobs later, they were finding these birds nesting and thriving in the suburbs...
So am I going to pay heed to a bunch of nattering ninnies who have moved on to the next "cause"? No.....

thespaah
06-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Some a-hole with an agenda.....
I have yet to see a political cartoonist who was not deliberately trying to stir controversy.
I think satire when it's for humor is fine.
When satire is used to destroy, it's larceny.
I am old school. I like newspapers. But if there is one reason why newspapers should be put out to pasture is to shut these jerks up. Political cartoonists used to be contributors to the debate. Now they for the most part exist just to piss people off. And they know it.

thespaah
06-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Be nice if they got rid of the jumping races at Belmont and Saratoga .....:)
Why?....Do you think the Euros will ever stop it?

thespaah
06-12-2015, 04:34 PM
And you know this how?
Go ahead Mr Cynicism, explain it to the group.

thespaah
06-12-2015, 04:43 PM
I am divided on this issue...and I honestly don't know which way to turn. I am a horseplayer...and have been one for many years. The game has brought great joy to my life...and I have tried to repay it by supporting it with my wagered dollars, and also by the considerable time that I spend trying to provide some advice, which I deem useful, to other players...who reach out to me for guidance, both live...and online.

But I am also a sensitive human being...and as such, I cannot turn a blind eye to some of the huge negatives that this game has associated itself with, for far too long. Nor can I fake outrage, when I encounter the occasional scathing anti-horseracing article that I see. To me, scandal has been a part of horse racing for decades...and the scathing articles are to be expected, and are sometimes well deserved.

I will put the lasix argument aside for the time being, because I admit to being a little unclear on this issue...and will focus on something else, which I consider much more sinister and infuriating to horseplayers and general public alike.

Autopsies have been performed on horses who have suffered fatal breakdowns, and the results have been published...and have even been posted here on this very site. The results of these procedures are very damaging to the integrity and the reputation of this sport...and no one knows if anything is being done to remedy this sad situation. And we, as "loyal horseplayers", look the other way, for fear of heaping even more controversy upon our already much-maligned sport...and our apathy risks making things even worse. According to published reports...approximately 80% of the horses who have succumbed to fatal breakdowns on the track, have broken their limbs on the exact same spot where prior track-related trauma had been detected...indicating that prior injuries were not allowed to properly heal before the horse was sent back to the track. It's a devastating finding, IMO...especially when you consider that there are humans who are asked to ride on the backs of these magnificent animals. There are horses out there who are loaded up with powerful painkillers, and are sent out on legs which are too numbed up to give notice to the poor animals of a pre-existing injury. It's a shameful practice, and it has been widely reported and we know about it...but we look the other way, because we want to remain loyal to the sport that we love.

Another disgrace that horse racing has associated itself with is the slaughterhouse situation. All of us know the fate which ultimately awaits so many of these majestic creatures once their racing careers are over...but we block this horrific image right out of our minds. We cheer the equine athlete as it comes thundering down the stretch...but we are apathetic of the athlete's plight down the road. Out of sight, out of mind...as the saying goes.

I love this game...and so do all the other posters here. But "love" doesn't mean just standing and cheering on the sidelines. Love also means caring deeply about these majestic animals, who are the REAL stars of this show...and who have brought so much joy and excitement to us for all these years.

So...when some smart-alec from this site tells me that I am being "too negative" whenever I point out what I perceive to be the evils of the sport...I tell him that I love the sport...but I love these magnificent animals even more.
I can't find much in your post with which to disagree.
The entire sport of horse racing regardless of breed has issues.
So do many other industries. This one however is different because it involves living breathing creatures
I think back to the days when race day meds were banned. In fact no one even suggested they shouldn't. Then one state after another for whatever reason said it was ok to medicate. Believe it or not the last hold out state was New York. Once NJ and PA got in on the yes side of the issue, NY saw field counts drop to a point where it was getting tough to fill races.
I'm just wondering how the Lasix free races at Gulfstream planned for the current meet will work out. Hopefully the races will fill.
http://www.drf.com/news/preview/gulfstream-offer-furosemide-free-races

magwell
06-12-2015, 05:11 PM
Why?....Do you think the Euros will ever stop it?I couldn't care less what the Euros do ........

thespaah
06-12-2015, 10:39 PM
I couldn't care less what the Euros do ........
Hardly the point.

magwell
06-13-2015, 12:15 AM
Hardly the point.What point ?

goatchaser
06-14-2015, 09:39 PM
I say end all newspapers.