PDA

View Full Version : Let's buy back the young people's vote

JustRalph
06-10-2015, 11:52 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/09/obama-admin-will-forgive-up-to-3-6-billion-in-student-loans/

Forgiving student loans

3.6 billion

TJDave
06-11-2015, 03:04 AM
http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/09/obama-admin-will-forgive-up-to-3-6-billion-in-student-loans/

Forgiving student loans

3.6 billion

Higher education should be free.

thaskalos
06-11-2015, 03:28 AM
Do we remember a conversation that we held here not too long ago about these same disgraced colleges...where the complaining students were lambasted by most of the members here for not "facing up to their obligations"?

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. :ThmbUp:

cj's dad
06-11-2015, 07:10 AM

At the expense of who ??

pandy
06-11-2015, 07:13 AM

This is tongue in cheek, right?

Tom
06-11-2015, 07:45 AM
I agree - colleges should not be allowed to charge tuition, professors should work for free, MS should be required to provide free computers and software......of course, free room and board.

Nothing is free - someone pays for it all.
Why those who USE it?

I paid for my college.......I worked 3 jobs and went to school.
Anyone not willing to put out the effort is not worth educating.

DJofSD
06-11-2015, 09:04 AM
http://thefederalist.com/2015/06/11/how-ncaa-cheats-athletes-out-of-a-future/

FantasticDan
06-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Let's buy back the young people's vote :ThmbUp: Obviously a desperate move by Obama and the Dems.. they've seen the videos of those huge Young Republican rallies on college quads all over the country.. :lol:

Tom
06-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Free tuition will never work.
You can't fix stupid.

Universities seem to be the playground of the ignorant.
The idea of allowing defaulting on the loans is a perfect example of universal stupidity.

mostpost
06-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Obviously none of you read why the government is forgiving those loans. Corinthian Colleges, a predatory, for profit education corporation. inflated job finding success rates by its graduates, defrauded the government and provided substandard education to its students.

No one is forgiving any loans for anyone who attended a legitimate college or even for everyone who went to Corinthian. There are no deadbeats involved here, only students who were victimized through no fault of their own.

mostpost
06-11-2015, 04:59 PM
This is tongue in cheek, right?
Why is it tongue in cheek? For years it was free, or nearly so. When I went to Southern Illinois University in the early to mid sixties we paid $180 a quarter for tuition-$540 a year. But then Republicans decided that there is no such thing as the common good and everyone is on their own and screw you if you are not rich.

Draconian cuts were made to taxes and social programs. Tuition skyrocketed and no one can afford to go to college without going deep in debt. The "Me" generation said its mine, I won't share. I won't. I won't. And brought us to mess we are in. And they are all to stupid to see it is their fault.

cj's dad
06-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Why is it tongue in cheek? For years it was free, or nearly so. When I went to Southern Illinois University in the early to mid sixties we paid $180 a quarter for tuition-$540 a year. But then Republicans decided that there is no such thing as the common good and everyone is on their own and screw you if you are not rich.

Draconian cuts were made to taxes and social programs. Tuition skyrocketed and no one can afford to go to college without going deep in debt. The "Me" generation said its mine, I won't share. I won't. I won't. And brought us to mess we are in. And they are all to stupid to see it is their fault.

Yes, I agree; some certainly are too stupid. :lol:

Clocker
06-11-2015, 05:18 PM
Yes, I agree; some certainly are too stupid. :lol:

A wise man once said that if you are smart enough to go to college, you are smart enough to figure out how to pay for it.

Clocker
06-11-2015, 05:44 PM
For years it was free, or nearly so.

In my freshman year in college, one of the first things I learn in Econ 101 was TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Somebody was paying for it. Why shouldn't the person getting the education pay at least a reasonable share of the cost?

thaskalos
06-11-2015, 05:53 PM
A wise man once said that if you are smart enough to go to college, you are smart enough to figure out how to pay for it.

An even wiser man once said: "Why give something away for free...when you can charge for it".

JustRalph
06-11-2015, 05:56 PM

I would say you got exactly what you paid for...............

TJDave
06-11-2015, 07:27 PM
Why shouldn't the person getting the education pay at least a reasonable share of the cost?

They would. College graduates have considerably more disposable income and pay significantly more in taxes. A high school diploma qualifies most for a job at McDonalds or Walmart and then we collectively get to pay for their benefits.

Public funding for higher education would be win-win.

Germany and most Scandinavian countries have figured it out.

Tom
06-11-2015, 07:42 PM
No one is forgiving any loans for anyone who attended a legitimate college or even for everyone who went to Corinthian. There are no deadbeats involved here, only students who were victimized through no fault of their own.

BS. So it is ok to now screw the taxpayers?
Hey, the kids took out a loan and promised to pay it back.
That they spent it on a crappy school is THEIR fault, no one else's

The loans were not forgiven, they were reassigned to people who no say in the matter. But that is the union way, right, mopo? Screw everyone as long as your get yours? Disgusting, un-american dead beat way to live.

Tom
06-11-2015, 07:45 PM
I would say you got exactly what you paid for...............

He is the one child left behind.
In mopo's world, someone else will always carry your load for you.
He is the Scarlette O'Hara of this age - always relying on the kindness of strangers.

Why do something if you can pawn it off on someone else?

Clocker
06-11-2015, 07:45 PM
College graduates have considerably more disposable income and pay significantly more in taxes. A high school diploma qualifies most for a job at McDonalds or Walmart and then we collectively get to pay for their benefits.

Right. That's why all those Occupy Wall Streeters that were living in their parents basements were out protesting their student loan debt and their inability to find jobs with their degrees. There would be even more of them with useless degrees and McJobs if tuition was free.

There are too many people going to college in this country that shouldn't be. They are wasting their time and wasting educational resources. Too many of them are in college because they can't find work or they think the work they are qualified for is beneath them. And find life unchanged after getting a degree.

Tom
06-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Nothing more worthless in the real world than a college graduate who thinks he is worth something.

College separates the men from the boys.
The boys go to college.

rastajenk
06-11-2015, 09:20 PM
College graduates have considerably more disposable income and pay significantly more in taxes. They do now; I doubt if they would if everybody had a degree.

Valuist
06-11-2015, 09:31 PM
A degree doesn't guarantee anything. Nothing at all. They can say kids w/only a HS degree won't amount to much, but without a Masters, its not much different, especially nowadays.

andtheyreoff
06-11-2015, 11:04 PM
I paid for my college.......I worked 3 jobs and went to school.
Anyone not willing to put out the effort is not worth educating.

I love these kind of arguments, because they're pure nonsense.

Consider: mostpost mentioned a year at SIU in the mid-60s was $540. Based on inflation, that rate is equivalent to $4,000 a year.

Now, that figure for an in-stater is $13,136. Out of state, it's twice as much. It's not easy to pay that kind of money without taking out a loan.

I agree that loans should, in most cases, not be defaulted, but what kind of place do we live in where many kids have to go thousands of dollars in debt just to have a fighting chance at a real job?

DJofSD
06-11-2015, 11:06 PM
I love these kind of arguments, because they're pure nonsense.

Consider: mostpost mentioned a year at SIU in the mid-60s was $540. Based on inflation, that rate is equivalent to $4,000 a year.

Now, that figure for an in-stater is $13,136. Out of state, it's twice as much. It's not easy to pay that kind of money without taking out a loan.

I agree that loans should, in most cases, not be defaulted, but what kind of place do we live in where many kids have to go thousands of dollars in debt just to have a fighting chance at a real job?
Unless you live in California and are an illegal alien then you get it for the same as the in-state students.

cj's dad
06-11-2015, 11:10 PM
For a fact there is an overload of lawyers, educators and others with a college degree that means little in the real world. What the USA needs are electricians, carpenters, plumbers, pipe fitters, steamfitters, machinists, etc..... these jobs can pay as much as 70K to >100K per year. Parents thought they needed to send their children to college -- WRONG !!!

Clocker
06-11-2015, 11:16 PM

In state vs. out of state reflects the fact that, at least in theory, one student has parental taxes contributing to the schools and the other does not.

what kind of place do we live in where many kids have to go thousands of dollars in debt just to have a fighting chance at a real job?

A place created by big government, Republican and Democrat. Any relation between the economics of higher education and reality is purely superficial.

Hoofless_Wonder
06-11-2015, 11:16 PM

Your analysis of cause and effect is laughable. The meteoric rise in tuition costs correlates quite well with the availability of student loans, and the limits on borrowing going up - and not tax "revenue" reductions. A positive feedback loop at it's finest. Which party has proclaimed education as the "magic bullet" to cure all ills in society?

Both parties conspired to put this in place - the Repubs to grease the wheels for their bankster friends, and the Dems to provide the cushy lifestyles of their leftist elitist professors - which of course in turn required far more assistants and liberal bureaucrats to run the Universities.

Saluki must be an old Indian word for "lacking critical thought".

DJofSD
06-11-2015, 11:18 PM
The world needs ditch diggers too. (https://youtu.be/eiRGRvE_Wqg) - Ted Knight

JustRalph
06-11-2015, 11:20 PM
For a fact there is an overload of lawyers, educators and others with a college degree that means little in the real world. What the USA needs are electricians, carpenters, plumbers, pipe fitters, steamfitters, machinists, etc..... these jobs can pay as much as 70K to >100K per year. Parents thought they needed to send their children to college -- WRONG !!!

Mike Rowe laments this exact fact with his new foundation.

He has worked with some high schoolers that went to trade schools and are making 70k a year at 19.

Clocker
06-11-2015, 11:37 PM
The meteoric rise in tuition costs correlates quite well with the availability of student loans, and the limits on borrowing going up - and not tax "revenue" reductions.

And with the creation of the federal Department of Education by Jimmy Carter in 1979.

http://tcftakingnote.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54ffb969888330168e965d8c7970c-800wi

cj's dad
06-11-2015, 11:41 PM
Mike Rowe laments this exact fact with his new foundation.

He has worked with some high schoolers that went to trade schools and are making 70k a year at 19.

Mommy and daddy want the kids to go to Harvard, Yale, MIT, etc....
learn a trade, like I did and raise 3 sons and put all through 12 years of private education.I take pride in that all are successful and that NONE have loans to pay back !!!!

PaceAdvantage
06-11-2015, 11:42 PM
No reason to trash any professions or the value of a college education.

All jobs have their advantages and disadvantages. Well, almost all jobs... :lol:

mostpost
06-12-2015, 12:08 AM

All jobs have their advantages and disadvantages. Well, almost all jobs... :lol:
For example, a job running a horse racing and politics discussion website has nothing but disadvantages. :lol:

DJofSD
06-12-2015, 12:13 AM
Cat herder and board op.

Tom
06-12-2015, 07:39 AM

I did take out loans- that is why I needed three jobs.
My point was that a loan is an agreement - a contract.
If you do not pay it back, your word is no good.

Yes. colleges is expensive - we need to place price controls on tuition.
Now, the educators elite who favor forgiving loans can squawk when it comes out of their pockets. Why do we bitch about the investor who makes a ton of money but not the professor who fleeces the students?

cj's dad
06-13-2015, 04:57 PM

Not trashing college degrees at all. I simply sated that some degrees appear to me to be of little value as there is not much demand for most B of A degrees in general. There definitely is a glut of lawyers, just look at some of the crazy TV commercials urging us to file lawsuits for the craziest reasons.

fast4522
06-13-2015, 05:08 PM
Not trashing college degrees at all. I simply sated that some degrees appear to me to be of little value as there is not much demand for most B of A degrees in general. There definitely is a glut of lawyers, just look at some of the crazy TV commercials urging us to file lawsuits for the craziest reasons.

There is no glut of men who are real fathers, I think it is easy to understand what you mean in your posts. :ThmbUp:

cj's dad
06-14-2015, 12:20 AM
There is no glut of men who are real fathers, I think it is easy to understand what you mean in your posts. :ThmbUp:

Thank you fast- I am so -proud of what my sons have accomplished and they did so without mom who passed away ay age 48 !!

Robert Goren
06-14-2015, 08:37 AM
The cost of a college education has sky rocketed since I was in college because the states have cut back on the percentage of funding they provide for state colleges. While some people are able to work their way through college, those people are few and far between. You can not do it working for minimum wage even if your employer gives you little help with your tuition. Try doing the math. When I was going to school, there were a lot of programs that provided free money for going to college. I remember one was that if you majored in education, you could a loan for tuition and a living allowance. If you taught, you did not have to make payment for that loan and for each year you taught, 10% of the loan was forgiven. Teach for ten years and the whole loan was forgiven. There were many other programs like that. My dad was a disabled veteran, so I went to college under the War Orphan's act. Most of these kinds of deals have disappeared and the ones that survived are not nearly as generous. The GI bill for instance, is not even closed to be what it used be.

JustRalph
06-15-2015, 07:10 PM
http://twocents.lifehacker.com/beware-taxes-when-your-student-loan-debt-is-forgiven-1711124816

Taxes due on forgiven loans?

Track Collector
06-15-2015, 07:35 PM
http://twocents.lifehacker.com/beware-taxes-when-your-student-loan-debt-is-forgiven-1711124816

One of the unanticipated consequences not thought about when folks set out to have student loan debt forgiven.

DJofSD
06-15-2015, 08:19 PM

Sure, why not? Basically the same as a short sale, no?