PDA

View Full Version : American Pharoah to race in........ Minnesota???

nads1420
06-10-2015, 11:27 AM
http://www.kfan.com/onair/allens-page-26384/2015-american-pharoah-to-race-at-canterbury-13667065/

cj
06-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Can't fault them for trying, but it isn't happening.

f2tornado
06-10-2015, 01:08 PM
I've seen that card played successfully before for Cigar to race in the Pacific Classic. Coincidentally it was the race that broke his epic winning streak.

Clocker
06-10-2015, 01:14 PM
The track fact sheet shows seating capacity of 7500. :eek:

http://www.canterburypark.com/Portals/0/SpecialEvents/Rental%20Packet.pdf

f2tornado
06-10-2015, 01:47 PM
The track fact sheet shows seating capacity of 7500. :eek:

http://www.canterburypark.com/Portals/0/SpecialEvents/Rental%20Packet.pdf

Not a giant track but ample room to accommodate far more than 7500 people. Back in racing glory days of the mid 80s the place would have no trouble getting around 20,000 patrons on summer weekends. No shortage of big name jockeys have ridden there before the track folded for a while. Jerry Bailey, Julie Krone, the Shoe, to name a few. The old St. Paul Derby was a $300k GII in the late 80s that would bring in some nice horses. I remember watching the very brilliant Lode Code as well as the super fast Who Doctor Who dueling with Dons Irish Melody nearly eclipsing the world record. I doubt AP goes there but that's the kind of event horse racing needs if it is ever going to regain some lost popularity. Ambassadors. Chrome would have been a good one but is too busy showing off overseas. AP would be a good one but very likely is done after this year if not sooner.

delayjf
06-10-2015, 03:02 PM
Who Doctor Who - now there's a blast from the past.

andtheyreoff
06-10-2015, 05:34 PM
I've seen that card played successfully before for Cigar to race in the Pacific Classic. Coincidentally it was the race that broke his epic winning streak.

The Pacific Classic was already an established G1 by 1996.

This, meanwhile, is not.

RarifiedAir
06-10-2015, 09:01 PM
live in minny so ya... just might make it out to the track that day.

rgustafson
06-10-2015, 09:14 PM
Obviously a long shot of epic proportions, but if all it takes is a $2 million dollar purse( The Travers is $1 and a quarter million), no problem. The Indians have contributed $75 million over ten years so it is there for the taking. :)

letswastemoney
06-10-2015, 10:07 PM
He should be done with 3 year olds, or make one more 3 year old start and then take on older horses.

There's nothing left for him to prove against his own age.

Pointing towards the Whitney would make more sense if he's retiring this year. Get some accomplishments vs. older horses besides Breeders' Cup before going off into the sunset.

zico20
06-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Call me skeptical about their intentions. Sure, they are sincere in making the race happen, but they know AP is not going there for that amount. It is a publicity stunt to generate interest for the track. If they really wanted a shot at it to happen, offer a 5 million dollar purse and make it for older horses also. If it were for 3 year olds only you would probably have a better field for the Travers than you would in Minnesota with AP and 2 million.

Valuist
06-12-2015, 02:00 PM
Not a giant track but ample room to accommodate far more than 7500 people. Back in racing glory days of the mid 80s the place would have no trouble getting around 20,000 patrons on summer weekends. No shortage of big name jockeys have ridden there before the track folded for a while. Jerry Bailey, Julie Krone, the Shoe, to name a few. The old St. Paul Derby was a $300k GII in the late 80s that would bring in some nice horses. I remember watching the very brilliant Lode Code as well as the super fast Who Doctor Who dueling with Dons Irish Melody nearly eclipsing the world record. I doubt AP goes there but that's the kind of event horse racing needs if it is ever going to regain some lost popularity. Ambassadors. Chrome would have been a good one but is too busy showing off overseas. AP would be a good one but very likely is done after this year if not sooner.

I remember making a couple trips up there. Very nice, clean facility. Mike Smith & Sandy Hawley dominated the jockeys and Mott & Carl Nafzger were the top barns up there.

nads1420
06-12-2015, 02:46 PM
Minneapolis is actually one of the nicest cities iv ever been to... The weather there just sucks tho 80% of the year

nijinski
06-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Can't fault them for trying, but it isn't happening.

This is the truth !

Hoofless_Wonder
06-12-2015, 04:22 PM
The Pacific Classic was already an established G1 by 1996.

This, meanwhile, is not.

So 100 years from now the Mystic Lake Derby won't be bigger than the Pacific Classic? ;) Seems like a safe bet.

I used to go to Cby all the time 15 years ago when I lived in the Twin Cities. Got a chuckle one day when a tornado warning was issued for Scott County, and the request came over the PA system to "move to the stairwells" and take shelter. About half the crowd, myself included, moved to the giant windows in the grandstand facing to the southwest trying to see the funnel coming.....

BlueChip@DRF
06-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Obviously a long shot of epic proportions, but if all it takes is a $2 million dollar purse( The Travers is $1 and a quarter million), no problem. The Indians have contributed $75 million over ten years so it is there for the taking. :)

$250,001? :p

davew
06-13-2015, 05:41 PM
They might show for a $2 million race.

I remember seeing Unbridled run there.

Hoofless_Wonder
06-13-2015, 08:54 PM
They might show for a $2 million race.

I remember seeing Unbridled run there.

I think part of that was that Unbridled's owner, Frances Genter, lived in the Twin Cities.