PDA

View Full Version : What update Number to Avoid for W10?

Flysofree
06-09-2015, 04:28 PM
I saw the number listed somewhere in a Google search but have since lost it.
I don't want the Windows 10 update on this computer but I don't want to change the settings to block all "important" updates. Does anyone have a link to the Microsoft update number that automatically does the switch to Windows 10 when available? I think that I may already have it and need to delete it before July 29th. Starts with letter K as they all do.

_______
06-09-2015, 05:09 PM
I haven't seen that this is an automatic update. I think you are fine leaving your settings as is to get updates to whatever version you are currently running. I believe you have to ask for the W10 update.

Clocker
06-09-2015, 05:28 PM
My understanding is that if you put yourself on the list for the update, they would download the file to your computer and notify you that it is there and tell you how to install it.

Flysofree
06-09-2015, 05:54 PM
My understanding is that if you put yourself on the list for the update, they would download the file to your computer and notify you that it is there and tell you how to install it.

That's probably what it is.... I have read so much now that I don't know my ass from 1st base. I do recall reading that there will be an update sent prior to the release to make certain that your computer is compatable with the Windows 10 update. I wanted to be sure it's not downloaded to my computer.

Clocker
06-09-2015, 06:34 PM
That's probably what it is.... I have read so much now that I don't know my ass from 1st base. I do recall reading that there will be an update sent prior to the release to make certain that your computer is compatable with the Windows 10 update. I wanted to be sure it's not downloaded to my computer.

http://cdn3.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/ximg_556e55881ac96.jpg.pagespeed.ic.2yZaejNLS5.jpg

http://www.howtogeek.com/218880/windows-10-is-almost-here-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

forced89
06-09-2015, 07:50 PM
I see a little Microsoft logo in the tray at the bottom of my laptop way over on the right side. When I put my curser over it it says "Get Windows 10". Since I intend to stick with my Windows 7 I intend to ignore it.

FocusWiz
06-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Several recent updates have been to "prepare" a machine for the coming of Windows 10. I believe that KB 2990214 was one such patch (which I have not yet installed). KB 3022345 is apparently one of these, but Microsoft has become relatively quiet about what some of their patches do lately.

DJofSD
06-10-2015, 09:25 AM
http://betanews.com/2015/06/10/how-to-get-the-windows-10-upgrade-notification-to-appear-in-windows-7-or-8-x/

DJofSD
06-10-2015, 09:57 AM
http://betanews.com/2015/06/10/how-to-get-the-windows-10-upgrade-notification-to-appear-in-windows-7-or-8-x/
Sorry -- the above message and link are for adding the missing W10 notification.

Here's how to get rid of it: http://betanews.com/2015/06/10/how-to-remove-the-windows-10-upgrade-notification-from-windows-7-and-8-x/

Flysofree
06-10-2015, 10:27 AM
To remove the Update and the taskbar Notice: KB3035583 has to be uninstalled. It will ask you if you are sure and then reconfigure your machine. So now I have 4 plus years with Windows 7. If I decided to upgrade later it will cost me $199. for the Professional version from my reading, if I keep this computer. From my speaking with 2 different computer guys they say better not to get the free upgrade.

Plus now Norton Security will stop bugging me with big screen Notices that they are working on an update for Windows 10.

Tom
06-10-2015, 11:36 AM
It is a free update for one year.
After that, a yearly service fee or they shut you down I have heard.

Flysofree
06-10-2015, 12:01 PM

That is only 1/2 true. It is free for one year. But they will not shut you down. When they stop support for Windows 7 and 8.1, you will be forced to get a new computer or download the Windows 10 and pay whatever. Support for Windows 7 runs out in early 2020. I don't know about Windows 8.1

upthecreek
06-10-2015, 01:36 PM
That is only 1/2 true. It is free for one year. But they will not shut you down. When they stop support for Windows 7 and 8.1, you will be forced to get a new computer or download the Windows 10 and pay whatever. Support for Windows 7 runs out in early 2020. I don't know about Windows 8.1

What does "shut down" actually mean or be forced to get a new computer if I have W7 after 2020? If I have handicapping software installed I wont be able to still run it? or i just wont be able to access the internet/email etc?
Sorry if this is an idiotic question................

Flysofree
06-10-2015, 01:50 PM
What does "shut down" actually mean or be forced to get a new computer if I have W7 after 2020? If I have handicapping software installed I wont be able to still run it? or i just wont be able to access the internet/email etc?
Sorry if this is an idiotic question................

I am an idiot ..so no computer question is too simple in my opinion. From my understanding, and I also run Windows 7 . When Microsoft stops supporting this in Jan 2020, with security updates you are surfing the web at your own risk. That's not a shutdown by any means, but the crooks (computer crooks will know it) and look for ways to rob you in some fashion. That's not to say they can't do it now, but I feel a whole lot safer with Microsoft security updates. Just my 2 pennies.

Flysofree
06-11-2015, 11:38 AM
I am an idiot ..so no computer question is too simple in my opinion. From my understanding, and I also run Windows 7 . When Microsoft stops supporting this in Jan 2020, with security updates you are surfing the web at your own risk. That's not a shutdown by any means, but the crooks (computer crooks will know it) and look for ways to rob you in some fashion. That's not to say they can't do it now, but I feel a whole lot safer with Microsoft security updates. Just my 2 pennies.

Adding on here...I don't get the idea of Microsoft giving away for "free" for one year an operating system. I can understand wanting to build some good will for the masses that were unhappy with Windows 8, but was Windows 7 that unpopular?

_______
06-11-2015, 02:49 PM

I don't think the later part is correct Tom. Microsoft is offering the free upgrade beginning July 29 and that offer stands for 1 year. If you upgrade before the offer expires, it's good for the life of the machine.

A subscription model would defeat one of reasons Microsoft is doing this. W10 home version will not allow you to opt out of updates as you can in W7 and 8. This will eventually greatly reduce the number of unpatched systems available to hackers.

Flysofree
06-11-2015, 03:02 PM
I don't think the later part is correct Tom. Microsoft is offering the free upgrade beginning July 29 and that offer stands for 1 year. If you upgrade before the offer expires, it's good for the life of the machine.

A subscription model would defeat one of reasons Microsoft is doing this. W10 home version will not allow you to opt out of updates as you can in W7 and 8. This will eventually greatly reduce the number of unpatched systems available to hackers.

Thanks, I did not know about not being able to opt out of updates with W10. I agree that will help stop hackers!
I still can not find out if I would get Windows 10 Professional or just the standard Windows 10 version. When I bought the computer it was Windows 7 Home, but I upgraded with to Windows 7 Professional. Yet when I click on the what am I running to see if eligible it only says Window 7. No mention of Professional. I think without the Professional version, I will not be able to download my Virtual Machine (which is the Windows XP mode) to run some of my software.

Tom
06-11-2015, 03:51 PM

That is what I heard on the local computer show last week - W10 is the last OS they are making - going to be strictly subscription from then on. That way, they can control illegal copies.

Me, I have XP and am happy with it.

Flysofree
06-11-2015, 04:12 PM

and what is considered "the life of the machine"?

FocusWiz
06-19-2015, 11:11 AM
Here are the updates which specifically prepare equipment for Windows 10 and/or are Windows 10 related:

KB 3035583
KB 2952664
KB 2976978
KB 3050265
KB 3050267
KB 3068708

Flysofree
06-20-2015, 11:14 AM
Here are the updates which specifically prepare equipment for Windows 10 and/or are Windows 10 related:

KB 3035583
KB 2952664
KB 2976978
KB 3050265
KB 3050267
KB 3068708

I know the top one KB3035583 is specifically for Windows 10.(Found an article and removed it)

As for the others do they affect anything about your computer Other THAN Windows 10?

FocusWiz
06-21-2015, 07:43 PM
I believe the first three are purely Windows 10 related.

KB 3035583
Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1

KB 2952664
Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7

KB 2976978
Compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8

These two apparently correct some other issues which may have been caused by earlier patches:

KB 3050265
Windows Update Client for Windows 7: June 2015

Fixes included in this update
•This update addresses an issue in which system performance can be decreased during scans. This issue has the greatest effect on computers that have a small amount of physical memory.
•This update addresses an issue in which Windows Update scans can fail and generate a 0x8007000E error.
•General improvements are made to support upgrades to a later version of Windows.

KB 3050267
Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1: June 2015
•A change is made on the log level for %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log to reduce the frequency of certain events from exhausting log space.
•Fixes an issue for managed computers in which managed computers have to update drivers as a set. Driver sets are not processed by Windows Update during shutdown, and are still available to be installed after you restart the computer.
•Fixes an issue in which the files of an update may not be found by Windows Update (0x80070002) if the download operation spans multiple sessions.
•General improvements are made to support upgrades to a later version of Windows.

This one is a bit odd and there is speculation that this is merely a "fixed" version of KB 3022345 (which I mentioned earlier) that has been renamed KB 3068708 with the problems addressed:

KB 3068708
Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry

This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

forced89
06-22-2015, 09:23 AM
I see a little Microsoft logo in the tray at the bottom of my laptop way over on the right side. When I put my curser over it it says "Get Windows 10". Since I intend to stick with my Windows 7 I intend to ignore it.

The item in my tray is still there. I intend to leave it there but never click on it. On the other hand I get automatic updates from Microsoft for my Windows 7. If some of them are to facilitate loading Windows 10, so be it. Should this bother me?

Flysofree
06-23-2015, 10:39 PM
The item in my tray is still there. I intend to leave it there but never click on it. On the other hand I get automatic updates from Microsoft for my Windows 7. If some of them are to facilitate loading Windows 10, so be it. Should this bother me?

That's a good question.. Obviously Microsoft wants everyone to go to Windows 10!.. I mean they are giving it away free for a year... I'm like you I want to keep my Windows 7 Professional version which has a Windows XP mode. I am afraid of loosing the XP mode or I would not worry about it.

Tom
06-24-2015, 01:13 PM
You have a year from July 29 to upgrade for free. That icon should work during that time.

Flysofree
06-24-2015, 01:24 PM
You have a year from July 29 to upgrade for free. That icon should work during that time.

They want you to "reserve" a copy... What are they going to run out of free copies? :eek: