PDA

View Full Version : Will the Belmont Stakes become just another race?

Bigadam119
06-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Now that we have another TC winner will the Belmont be just another races for the next 5-10 years. Even if there is a TC on the line.

DeltaLover
06-09-2015, 12:07 PM
Now that we have another TC winner will the Belmont be just another races for the next 5-10 years. Even if there is a TC on the line.

What exactly you are trying to say here? The Belmont will always be one of the most important race for three year old and the recent TC winner only helps it..

Bigadam119
06-09-2015, 12:08 PM
What exactly you are trying to say here? The Belmont will always be one of the most important race for three year old and the recent TC winner only helps it..

Do you think 90,000 show up next year if a TC is on the line?

DeltaLover
06-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Do you think 90,000 show up next year if a TC is on the line?

If the allow it, I am perfectly sure that way more than the 90K will show up..

classhandicapper
06-09-2015, 12:28 PM
I have a spin on this that I haven't seen mentioned much. Now that so many people are convinced that once you lose the Derby you should skip the Preakness and rest up for the Belmont, more legit Derby winners are going to also win the Preakness and set us up for Triple Crown attempts.

DeltaLover
06-09-2015, 12:36 PM
I have a spin on this that I haven't seen mentioned much. Now that so many people are convinced that once you lose the Derby you should skip the Preakness and rest up for the Belmont, more legit Derby winners are going to also win the Preakness and set us up for Triple Crown attempts.

No prob.. What you describe here will be real good for the sport and the game as well..

Tom
06-09-2015, 12:53 PM

Maybe more will by-pass the BC Juvy and allow their horses time to rest, grow, and mature and come back fresh and better, like AP did this year.

Rise Over Run
06-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Maybe more will by-pass the BC Juvy and allow their horses time to rest, grow, and mature and come back fresh and better, like AP did this year.
Except that's not how they planned it. AP would have run in the BC had he not gotten that foot bruise training up to the race.

Tom
06-09-2015, 01:08 PM
And he night not have been as good year if he had not been sidelined.
Columbus did not plan to find the New World. ;)

Stillriledup
06-09-2015, 01:40 PM
If a TC is On the line, the place will be packed. If not, it will still be as crowded as it usually is when no TC is on the line.

The feat itself will take a hit, but thats only because people mistakenly perceived it as a harder accomplishment than it was in real life. Real quiet was a head bob (or a better timed move) away from winning and whos real quiet? Hes certainly not in the 'pantheon' of all time greats.

castaway01
06-09-2015, 03:20 PM

I think this is a good point---I bet we'll see more long rests over the winter (or longer) than we have in the past. People will definitely try to copy this campaign "on purpose" even if AP was forced into it by injury.

ArlJim78
06-09-2015, 10:29 PM
Except that's not how they planned it. AP would have run in the BC had he not gotten that foot bruise training up to the race.
Maybe in the end the foot bruise was a fortunate event.
None of the BCJ horses managed to hit the board in any of the triple crown events.

rastajenk
06-10-2015, 06:46 AM
What ever happened with, or to, Texas Red?

BlueChip@DRF
06-10-2015, 09:37 AM

As soon as they change the conditions for winning the Triple Crown.

Rex Phinney
06-10-2015, 01:05 PM
I'm still curious to see how Belmont day as a whole does with no TC on the line. To date they have no results of the outcome with no TC on the line, as far as handle and attendance on that Big day with no TC on the line.

The Belmont will be just as big as it was before, no change IMO.

PaceAdvantage
06-10-2015, 01:08 PM
I think this is a good point---I bet we'll see more long rests over the winter (or longer) than we have in the past. People will definitely try to copy this campaign "on purpose" even if AP was forced into it by injury.I've been saying on this board for quite some time that the best thing that ever happened to AP was that he got hurt and had a 168 day rest after his 2yo season...and I'm not one to buy into the "baby your horse" line of thinking...but something about that layoff has always struck me as highly beneficial when it came to winning the Triple Crown.

ultracapper
06-10-2015, 01:49 PM
The Belmont Stakes is not in any danger of being trivialized. In nearly every Belmont Stakes I can think of there are always at least 2 or 3 horses, sometimes more, that didn't run in either the Derby or Preakness. It's a destination race, a stand alone, in it's own right. Pretty tough to trivialize a $1.5m race with a 140 year history in New York.

ultracapper
06-10-2015, 01:52 PM
And kipping the Preakness to freshen for the Belmont hasn't been discussed much because it's not a novel approach. Many a trainer has gone that route for years, most notably Bobby Frankel with Empire Maker.

pondman
06-10-2015, 02:37 PM
The Belmont Stakes is not in any danger of being trivialized. In nearly every Belmont Stakes I can think of there are always at least 2 or 3 horses, sometimes more, that didn't run in either the Derby or Preakness. It's a destination race, a stand alone, in it's own right. Pretty tough to trivialize a $1.5m race with a 140 year history in New York.

Yep.
The Belmont is a Prep for summer racing, and a key prep for the Dandy and Travers. Usually it is more than this years bore, and sentimental raising of glasses. It's a race that in most years brings serious money into the tote.

whodoyoulike
06-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Good point about tote numbers, I just looked at chart and:

Mutuel pool: $16,861,158

ISW pool: $117,978,232

A lot of money for one day in my opinion.

DeltaLover
06-10-2015, 03:05 PM

Thinking of the average pool in Sha Tin, I am convinced we can have a similar figure even in an average day.. Why not?

http://businessofracing.blogspot.com/2011/12/hong-kong-1-where-even-owners-make.html

pondman
06-10-2015, 03:09 PM

How does it compare with most years? I would assume the more serious players stayed away this year.

Valuist
06-10-2015, 06:49 PM
I know racing is considered a niche sport, but I was surprised at the ho-hum attitude of the sports media. ESPN thought a soccer game in Europe was a bigger story than a horse winning the Triple Crown. :bang:

Now that a Triple Crown has been won which many (more) have seen, will it inspire much, if any, drama the next time we see a Derby-Preakness winner stroll into Elmont? I'm not sure.

Bigadam119
06-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Yep.
The Belmont is a Prep for summer racing, and a key prep for the Dandy and Travers. Usually it is more than this years bore, and sentimental raising of glasses. It's a race that in most years brings serious money into the tote.

I can't think of the Belmont as a prep race. If you ask most horsemen which race they'd rather win the Belmont or Travers, a significant majority would say the Belmont.