PDA

View Full Version : Uncashed AP win tickets

Stillriledup
06-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Too bad the state of NY will just keep the cash, would be nice to see that unclaimed money go to a horse racing related charity or put back into the sport some other way. :3:

tanner12oz
06-08-2015, 06:59 PM
90k $2 tickets were reported uncashed

thespaah
06-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Too bad the state of NY will just keep the cash, would be nice to see that unclaimed money go to a horse racing related charity or put back into the sport some other way. :3:
I agree.
Maybe we could start and email campaign to put public pressure on NYRA to donate the unclaimed winnings.

DeltaLover
06-08-2015, 07:19 PM
90k $2 tickets were reported uncashed

How big was the win pool?

DeltaLover
06-08-2015, 07:20 PM
I agree.
Maybe we could start and email campaign to put public pressure on NYRA to donate the unclaimed winnings.

:ThmbUp:

thespaah
06-08-2015, 07:25 PM
How big was the win pool?
The WPS pool was like $29 million..
Gotta figure the win pool was probably 60% of that...I still have the original tvg tote link. I did look at the numbers late Saturday. If remember correctly, the win pool on AP was $9 million

DeltaLover
06-08-2015, 07:29 PM
The WPS pool was like $29 million..
Gotta figure the win pool was probably 60% of that...I still have the original tvg tote link. I did look at the numbers late Saturday. If remember correctly, the win pool on AP was $9 million

So we have approximately 1% of the win pool in $2 "souvenir" bets.. Interesting!

Stillriledup
06-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Going forward they can also announce that any uncashed win tickets in the 2 dollar denomination only, will go to horse racing related charities. This way, people will know in advance that their 2 bucks is going to charity, I think the pool will be a lot bigger if that is the case, a win win for all concerned.

OTM Al
06-08-2015, 08:42 PM
I agree.
Wrong people to petition. State of NY regulation that the money goes to the general fund and I don't see them ever giving up a dime.

Rise Over Run
06-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Going forward they can also announce that any uncashed win tickets in the 2 dollar denomination only, will go to horse racing related charities. This way, people will know in advance that their 2 bucks is going to charity, I think the pool will be a lot bigger if that is the case, a win win for all concerned.
How about in cases like these (TC on the line) that "bettors" who are solely trying to create a collectors item, and make a profit, be charged an additional 'vig' of 25% on $2 wagers going strictly to horse-related charities...... The sellers of this racing memorabilia have no problem paying the vig to EBAY to sell the ticket, why would they have a problem paying a vig to purchase the ticket? Makes sense, right SRU? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rise Over Run
06-08-2015, 08:53 PM
Strictly for comparison purposes, how many $2 win tickets on California Chrome and Big Brown remain un-cashed? :lol: :lol:

thespaah
06-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Wrong people to petition. State of NY regulation that the money goes to the general fund and I don't see them ever giving up a dime.
Well, one could only hope politicians would stop being politicians for 5 freakin minutes

OTM Al
06-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Well, one could only hope politicians would stop being politicians for 5 freakin minutes

I like you so I won't accuse you of making less sense than you-know-who, but this just isn't reality, especially in NY.

thespaah
06-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Strictly for comparison purposes, how many $2 win tickets on California Chrome and Big Brown remain un-cashed? :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are not a well man.

OTM Al
06-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Strictly for comparison purposes, how many $2 win tickets on California Chrome and Big Brown remain un-cashed? :lol: :lol:
None. The State now has the money. There is a cashing deadline for each year.

DeltaLover
06-08-2015, 09:20 PM

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

posting of the day

thespaah
06-08-2015, 09:22 PM
I like you so I won't accuse you of making less sense than you-know-who, but this just isn't reality, especially in NY.
Yeah..I know...But one can wish....
Anyway....
Oh, I was watching the opening minutes of the Today Show this morning.
Their lead story was AP's Belmont victory. One of the hosts held up his winning $2 ticket on AP....Nice move on the part of NBC post promote the event.

OTM Al
06-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Yeah..I know...But one can wish....
Anyway....
Oh, I was watching the opening minutes of the Today Show this morning.
Their lead story was AP's Belmont victory. One of the hosts held up his winning $2 ticket on AP....Nice move on the part of NBC post promote the event.
Still promoting tonight on hockey game first intermission since they have the Foster Saturday where he will parade and the Haskell, where I'm sure they are hoping like heck that he runs in. He'll have some legs on the network.

Rise Over Run
06-08-2015, 09:43 PM
Wait; there's a deadline on cashing losing tickets in NY too???? F'ing NYRA, I hate them..... :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Zydeco
06-08-2015, 09:53 PM
So Al....the track doesn't keep the extra? They have to give it to the state? It paid 3.50 for 2 dollars...if You don;t cash the ticket they have to pay the 1.50 to the state?

OTM Al
06-08-2015, 10:04 PM
So Al....the track doesn't keep the extra? They have to give it to the state? It paid 3.50 for 2 dollars...if You don;t cash the ticket they have to pay the 1.50 to the state?
Oops, I wasn't really thinking on that was I? Was thinking about the I'll Have Another tickets sold before the scratch for some reason, but yes, you only have til a certain date to cash winning tickets from the previous year. Here is the rule

Winning pari-mutuel tickets from all races conducted at Aqueduct, Belmont, Saratoga or any simulcast track NYRA offers wagering on must be presented for payment on or before March 31 of the following year and can be cashed during any race day at the current live racing NYRA meet. You cannot cash winning NYRA mutuel tickets at any OTB.

Winning NYRA mutuel tickets may also be sent by certified or registered mail to the address listed below and must be received by NYRA no later than March 31 of the following year. In accordance with NYSRWB rules, NYRA must be in possession of these tickets no later than March 31 of the following year in order to be eligible for payment. Therefore, tickets mailed with an earlier postmark but received by NYRA after March 31st will not be processed. Please allow sufficient time to make certain that NYRA is in receipt of your ticket(s) before this deadline.

OTM Al
06-08-2015, 10:18 PM
And here you can see the forms tracks must fill out to remit not only uncashed tickets but also breakage to the a Department of Taxation and Finance

http://www.tax.ny.gov/bus/pari_mutuel.htm

Milkshaker
06-08-2015, 10:45 PM
I get the concept of wanting a ticket for a souvenir, but that thin, glossy receipt-type paper with the very poor tote-machine quality ink that is universal at US racetracks these days won't hold up over time, especially if you expose it to light (ie by framing and hanging on a wall).

I've had these types of tix (ie sports futures bets from Vegas) that I've tacked up near my desk for safekeeping and they were virtually unreadable by the end of the season. I also recently went through boxes of everyday tote tickets that I had saved for tax purposes, and even boxed up in the dark they start to fade within a few years.

ultracapper
06-10-2015, 02:01 PM
I still have an uncashed $2 bet on Cigar in the Citation Challenge that I bet at Emerald Downs. Unfortunately, it's faded very bad and is hardly readable. Hopefully the ink on these newer tickets, and or the paper used will preserve the American Pharoah $2 Belmont Stakes win ticket.

Ocala Mike
06-10-2015, 03:25 PM
And here you can see the forms tracks must fill out to remit not only uncashed tickets but also breakage to the a Department of Taxation and Finance

http://www.tax.ny.gov/bus/pari_mutuel.htm

Yep, takes me back to my old job as an auditor with NY State, until they canned us in 1991. All done by computers nowadays with nobody watching closely (hence the scandal a few years back when NYRA underpaid the exotic bettors).

Ocala Mike
06-10-2015, 03:31 PM
The State now has the money.

Not exactly. The funds are held by NYRA in a liability account, "Uncashed Winning Tickets." Sometime next April, they will "escheat" (I like that word) to the state in accordance with law.

VeryOldMan
06-10-2015, 03:54 PM
I have an uncashed $2 win ticket on Seattle Slew from Belmont. No kidding. Passed up the $2.80 to have a souvenir from that day. That's before eBay, etc., etc. so perhaps the impulse is different now, but I understand not cashing a physical ticket that shows you witnessed history.

horses4courses
06-11-2015, 10:24 AM
American Pharoah bettors leave behind $315,829 from Belmont Stakes

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/13037178/american-pharoah-bettors-leave-315829-belmont-stakes

Grits
06-11-2015, 11:27 AM
H4C, this is just so DUMB. I'd much rather have the two 147th Belmont Stakes Racing Festival caps and wind jacket I purchased. Bj and I will share both. ;) ......Dumb, dumb, dumb.