PDA

View Full Version : Selling your triple crown winning ticket

ilzho
06-07-2015, 09:14 AM
So I see people are selling their 'winning' belmont ticket on ebay.

It seems stupid to me, but I'm cashing my winning ticket and exacta today.

Am I missing something?

DeltaLover
06-07-2015, 09:25 AM
So I see people are selling their 'winning' belmont ticket on ebay.

It seems stupid to me, but I'm cashing my winning ticket and exacta today.

Am I missing something?

No, you are not missing anything, don't bother..

clocker7
06-07-2015, 09:29 AM
No. I collect the stuff, but only for the older races with the colored totes.

Souvenir tickets for TC races have been glutted for about 40 years. If anyone pays much more than the value of a cashed ticket, s/he will have to wait decades to see any appreciation, if then.

When ebay first came online, there were some stupid prices paid for Secretariat memorabilia, including one $2,500 purchase of a Preakness win ticket. It rapidly came back to earth as old stuff surged into the market. There is still a guy unloading his Slew tickets, and they go for about $35-$45 regularly (often unsold, period)

098poi
06-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Doubt they are worth much now and I think the value is mostly for the individual, memories etc. I lived in LA and had a friend buy me a few win tickets for the Shoe's last ride. (I could not attend myself) They have been lost over time but I wish I hadn't lost them.

Ocala Mike
06-07-2015, 11:13 AM
I am the proud owner of a win ticket from Secretariat's Belmont, 1973. Actually, it's my wife's as she had the foresight to stick it in her purse uncashed after we witnessed that great race. She wants to know what it's worth.

charm city whizz
06-07-2015, 11:15 AM
Laughed my ass off on eBay a guy was selling a $2 AP win ticket from parx for $99......can't make it up

ilzho
06-07-2015, 11:16 AM
I know there are some crazy prices, any people have bought them.
I better sell my $5 win & $5 exacta for $2000. Sounds about right. :D :D

charm city whizz
06-07-2015, 11:23 AM
In a week you will be able to buy a AP win ticket for $10....I played this hand bad didn't buy a AP derby ticket for $15 when I had the chance that's the valuable I would think

ubercapper
06-08-2015, 11:17 AM
There were a couple of college age kids buying 10,000 $2 tickets in the morning. Those tickets are selling for about $3.50 on ebay in bulk without programs or anything else.

Pretty bright in my opinion in terms of capitalizing on the market.

PaceAdvantage
06-08-2015, 11:19 AM
There were a couple of college age kids buying 10,000 $2 tickets in the morning. Those tickets are selling for about $3.50 on ebay in bulk without programs or anything else.

Pretty bright in my opinion in terms of capitalizing on the market.That makes zero sense. They could have had a much quicker return simply betting that money to win... :lol: :lol: :lol:

charm city whizz
06-08-2015, 11:30 AM
That makes zero sense. They could have had a much quicker return simply betting that money to win... :lol: :lol: :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ilzho
06-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Something else that I find funny about selling these souvenir tickets is its printed on thermal paper and the ink will fade pretty fast. It's not like the tickets years ago that used regular ink and paper.

Bennie
06-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Unless you have tickets from Churchill for the Derby, Pimlico for the Preakness and a Belmont ticket from Belmont they are not worth any more than what the win price of the ticket. They only people that will make money is the NYRA because they will not be paying out for all those tickets and in 6 months, or when ever the ticket expires, the money stays there.

Ocala Mike
06-08-2015, 06:31 PM
No, Bennie, not the NYRA. The money from uncashed pari-mutuel tickets escheats directly to NY State on March 31st of the year following purchase (unless they've changed the law).

ReplayRandall
06-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Unless you have tickets from Churchill for the Derby, Pimlico for the Preakness and a Belmont ticket from Belmont they are not worth any more than what the win price of the ticket. They only people that will make money is the NYRA because they will not be paying out for all those tickets and in 6 months, or when ever the ticket expires, the money stays there.
When cashing your ticket, after it is electronically "branded", you may have the ticket back if requested. The ticket itself looks exactly the same before and after it is cashed...

Bennie
06-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Ocala - I just know the back of all my tickets it says pari-mutuel tickets shall expire 6 months from date of issue. I was not fully aware of exactly who got the money but I do know the track took in the money and will not have to pay it out. Do they at least get a small % for taking those bets? Or does the State get it all?

tanner12oz
06-08-2015, 07:14 PM
All my gear but soaked and ruined at pimlico...finding preakness stuff in good shape this year might be hard

BlueChip@DRF
06-08-2015, 07:32 PM
No. I collect the stuff, but only for the older races with the colored totes.

Souvenir tickets for TC races have been glutted for about 40 years. If anyone pays much more than the value of a cashed ticket, s/he will have to wait decades to see any appreciation, if then.

When ebay first came online, there were some stupid prices paid for Secretariat memorabilia, including one $2,500 purchase of a Preakness win ticket. It rapidly came back to earth as old stuff surged into the market. There is still a guy unloading his Slew tickets, and they go for about $35-$45 regularly (often unsold, period)

I miss those colored tote tickets.

Longshot6977
06-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Something else that I find funny about selling these souvenir tickets is its printed on thermal paper and the ink will fade pretty fast. It's not like the tickets years ago that used regular ink and paper.

About 10 years ago, my friend had a souvenir ticket from (forgot the horse/race), but it wasn't worth much. He wanted to laminate it and I told him he better not or the paper will turn black from the heat rollers. He laughed at me as he put the ticket inside the laminate pouch and pushed it thru the machine. It came out burnt black, haha. I had the last laugh on that one.

I heard there were around $350,000 uncashed tickets on AP. Anyone heard anything similar or have an accurate number?

tanner12oz
06-08-2015, 07:48 PM
180k$ worth I heard on twitter of just $2 tix

ReplayRandall
06-08-2015, 08:50 PM
I miss those colored tote tickets.
I miss them too, as there was an artistic flair and flavor of the good ol' days found in those colorful ducats.......

Elliott Sidewater
06-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Doubt they are worth much now and I think the value is mostly for the individual, memories etc. I lived in LA and had a friend buy me a few win tickets for the Shoe's last ride. (I could not attend myself) They have been lost over time but I wish I hadn't lost them.
Shoe's last ride created possibly the worst underlay favorite I've ever seen, Patchy Groundfog. A ticket that was never cashable makes a lousy souvenir. The last year of Shoemaker's career was a maudlin cross country tour of fan exploitation that sullied the reputation of a formerly great rider. Perhaps the walk down memory lane is best done alone, with one's thoughts.

Shemp Howard
06-08-2015, 10:04 PM

I put 50 para mutuel tickets from the last races, flat and harness, run at Garden State Park in my bank safe deposit box.

In 5 years they were unreadable.

Buyer beware.

Shemp Howard
06-08-2015, 10:09 PM
I miss them too, as there was an artistic flair and flavor of the good ol' days found in those colorful ducats.......

Especially the green ones!

Shemp Howard
06-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Ocala - I just know the back of all my tickets it says pari-mutuel tickets shall expire 6 months from date of issue. I was not fully aware of exactly who got the money but I do know the track took in the money and will not have to pay it out. Do they at least get a small % for taking those bets? Or does the State get it all?

Pretty sure its split 50/50. At least it used to be when I worked in the Controller's Office at Liberty Bell Park

Elliott Sidewater
06-08-2015, 10:18 PM
I put 50 para mutuel tickets from the last races, flat and harness, run at Garden State Park in my bank safe deposit box.

In 5 years they were unreadable.

Buyer beware.

Funny, Shemp. Reminds me of a story told by a guy who couldn't resist a bargain, with a wife who knew better. The guy bought a complete set of the Soprano's CDs on eBay at an incredible discount, and his wife said they won't play, something has to be wrong with them at that price. The guy said no, I contacted the seller and he personally guaranteed they would play. Finally the package arrived and the buyer smugly put the first CD in the player, with wifey warily watching. After a few seconds, the man exulted in triumph as the CD began to play, until it was evident that it was in Japanese. :D

098poi
06-08-2015, 10:25 PM
Shoe's last ride created possibly the worst underlay favorite I've ever seen, Patchy Groundfog. A ticket that was never cashable makes a lousy souvenir. The last year of Shoemaker's career was a maudlin cross country tour of fan exploitation that sullied the reputation of a formerly great rider. Perhaps the walk down memory lane is best done alone, with one's thoughts.

You're right, a cashable ticket, "uncashed" makes a better souvenir.

Ocala Mike
06-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Unless they changed the law (quite possible), ALL the proceeds from outstanding tickets escheat to NY State. The Racing Associations got their commission when the bet was placed.

As a pari-mutuel examiner for NY State (1977 - 1991), one of our jobs was to audit the file of uncashed tickets each day. Oldtimers may recall the days in the late 70's when you had to go to a special window to cash "previous day's tickets," and I remember we used to look at each and every one of those for "pigeons." Obviously, counterfeit ticket passing was much more prevalent for tickets from previous cards where the counterfeiter had time to work on the tickets.