PDA

View Full Version : So what happens next

Rex Phinney
06-07-2015, 03:47 AM
I'm curious about two things:

1. People have long claimed how good a triple Crown would be for the sport. Do you buy it? Do you think more people will watch the Breeders Cup for example, will the sport gain legions of long term fans or will people wake up tomorrow and move on? Also now that it's happened would future triple crown chases lose the massive draw we have seen lately?

2. Do you think AP runs in any more races?

BlueChip@DRF
06-07-2015, 06:07 AM
Off to the breeding shed next year. I wonder how successful he will be in the shed as he is guess only time will tell.

Robert Goren
06-07-2015, 06:18 AM
It can not hurt, but..... what little boost horse racing gets from the triple crown winner will be short lived. The reasons that horse racing is in trouble is not the lack of star race horses. The reasons have been discussed here until the cows come home. The people who the power to make the need changes are not going to do so because a horse won the triple crown.

I am hopeful that he runs a few more race and ends his career in the Breeders Cup this fall. But if he were my horse, the "For Sale" sign would have went out already and he would never race again.

zico20
06-07-2015, 09:07 AM
It can not hurt, but..... what little boost horse racing gets from the triple crown winner will be short lived. The reasons that horse racing is in trouble is not the lack of star race horses. The reasons have been discussed here until the cows come home. The people who the power to make the need changes are not going to do so because a horse won the triple crown.

I am hopeful that he runs a few more race and ends his career in the Breeders Cup this fall. But if he were my horse, the "For Sale" sign would have went out already and he would never race again.

I agree the boost will be very short lived. It may actually hurt after this wears off since the mystique is gone from waiting for a triple crown winner. There are many problems with racing, no doubt, but lack of star horses is definitely a big one. And it is only going to get worse in the coming years. You would retire him and take the money right now. That is a business decision and I would not blame you at all for it. If I owned him, I would race him at 4 and 5 if he were still winning grade 1s. I would already have all the money I needed to live happily for the rest of my life. But I guess your lifestyle is a little bit more extravagant than mine would be. Which is okay, everybody is different.

DJofSD
06-07-2015, 09:44 AM
I don't know what the plans are for AP but I hope they include the Pacific Classic!

Tom
06-07-2015, 10:44 AM
Off to the breeding shed next year. I wonder how successful he will be in the shed as he is guess only time will tell.

I hope he is not nearly as fast in the shed as he is on the track. :eek:

zico20
06-07-2015, 10:48 AM
I don't know what the plans are for AP but I hope they include the Pacific Classic!

Forget about the Pacific Classic according to this article.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/horseracing/american-pharoah-s-breeding-rights-sold-to-coolmore-ashford-stud-1.10454062

Unless I am reading it wrong, the Travers is where extra money comes into play. The Travers and the Pacific Classic are the same weekend I think so he can't run in both.

DJofSD
06-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Forget about the Pacific Classic according to this article.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/horseracing/american-pharoah-s-breeding-rights-sold-to-coolmore-ashford-stud-1.10454062

Unless I am reading it wrong, the Travers is where extra money comes into play. The Travers and the Pacific Classic are the same weekend I think so he can't run in both.
Bummer. So, he'll be stabled here but will not be running. Oh well.

headhawg
06-07-2015, 11:18 AM
1. People have long claimed how good a triple Crown would be for the sport. Do you buy it? Do you think more people will watch the Breeders Cup for example, will the sport gain legions of long term fans or will people wake up tomorrow and move on? Also now that it's happened would future triple crown chases lose the massive draw we have seen lately?I think that it will have zero effect. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that people care about AP as much as they did for Barbaro. If he had won the TC then maybe more interest would have been generated. Today's "adults" are more interested in the Kardashians and Caitlyn Jenner. Or their effing iPhones.

Ocala Mike
06-07-2015, 11:19 AM
I hope he is not nearly as fast in the shed as he is on the track. :eek:

Actually, Tom (having witnessed the breeding shed process a few times down here), the quicker the better as it's easier on both mare and stud. Just like with humans, it's all about the foreplay (teasing). Most of the folks who actually deal with the process like the studs who mount gently, do their business quickly, and - oh yeah, call and send flowers to the mare in the morning!

DJofSD
06-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Actually, Tom (having witnessed the breeding shed process a few times down here), the quicker the better as it's easier on both mare and stud. Just like with humans, it's all about the foreplay (teasing). Most of the folks who actually deal with the process like the studs who mount gently, do their business quickly, and - oh yeah, call and send flowers to the mare in the morning!
Open field breeding is the scary version. Watch out, some of those mares can kick and ruin a stud.

zimal2
06-07-2015, 11:51 AM
I agree that winning the Triple Crown alone will not make the difference in attracting more handicappers and fans. What might make a difference would be great match races with all the modern hype available. Think War Admiral and Seabiscuit. How about American Pharaoh and California Chrome with their outsized controversial owners adding to the drama. When a small number of combatants, high profile, square off such as a heavyweight Championship or a home run derby or a match race, the public gets interested

Redboard
06-07-2015, 05:36 PM
I'm curious about two things:

2. Do you think AP runs in any more races?

I hope not. Normally I hate it when the sport’s stars are whisked into the breeding shed before their time, but being the only living Triple Crown winner, I would feel better if he retired from racing. If something happened to him, it would be a black eye for the sport, which doesn’t need any more. Also, the finances of running more races becomes an issue because the insurance is frequently more than the purse you’d win, it just doesn’t make $ense.
However, if he did continue to race, I’d be the first to watch and cheer. As far as the rest of his 2015 campaign, why bother run in any more 3YrOld races? He’s already beaten them all. Is anybody hankering for a rematch between him and Frosted? Yawn…. This time there will be an honest pace and he’ll be up against it. Snore…
If he must run more this year, I’d rather see him get the summer off then a BC prep such as the Jockey Club Cup Gold at Belmont or the Awesome Again in SA. He already has a win at both tracks.

depalma113
06-07-2015, 09:02 PM
The escalator in the contract is supposedly worth $12 million if he wins the Classic. He won't be retired before than. With that and the purse, you're talking a $15 million payday.

RacingFan1992
06-07-2015, 09:36 PM
A match race? Did someone suggest a match race? Could you imagine California Chrome vs. American Pharoah. I wonder what venue they would use. I wonder who Espinoza would ride. This might be the event when a Triple Crown winner might win one.

Rex Phinney
06-08-2015, 12:05 AM
A match race? Did someone suggest a match race? Could you imagine California Chrome vs. American Pharoah. I wonder what venue they would use. I wonder who Espinoza would ride. This might be the event when a Triple Crown winner might win one.

This isn't a thread about California Chrome, nor should it be, he hasn't won a race on dirt in over a year, the 15 minutes, they are expired.

RarifiedAir
06-08-2015, 12:18 AM
i read that if it wasn't for the derby churchill would be sunk. thats not a surprise to me at all. i have been there and have seen the crowds and insane money spent.

horse racing is never going to leave us. it will change and maybe condense down but the money in racing is there with owners and breeders and the casual fan will always glom on when things break well like this year. AP is a great story but changes nothing.

Rex Phinney
06-08-2015, 12:26 AM
i read that if it wasn't for the derby churchill would be sunk. thats not a surprise to me at all. i have been there and have seen the crowds and insane money spent.

horse racing is never going to leave us. it will change and maybe condense down but the money in racing is there with owners and breeders and the casual fan will always glom on when things break well like this year. AP is a great story but changes nothing.

I tend to agree with you here, I think we will see more days like what Belmont has done on Belmont Stakes day. It allows them to rake in obscene amounts of $$$ in one day and coast the rest of the meet. (Like Churchill has been doing for decades)