PDA

View Full Version : Cripes, stop whining about AP some of you...

Laminarman
06-06-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm 51 years young. Have never seen a TC on TV or live happen I broke my virginity tonight! Very little betting experience and won in the Derby, lost since then. Some of you need to stop whining about AP winning. I lost $300 but am so F***** pumped to have experienced this I can't wait to get MORE into the thoroughbred racing and handicapping!!! This is GOOD for the sport, GOOD. I LOVE it. I have never been in a bar in upstate NY like tonight where people were cheering for someone to win when they bet against him. Look what a special thing happened: people were losing money and rooting for it, it doesn't happen often. When was the last time you saw a gomer at a roulette table or slots root for the wrong number. Long live horse racing. It is good for the sport which benefits all of us. A great day. Enjoy it, from a newbies perspective.

Kash$
06-06-2015, 10:01 PM
I'm 51 years young. Have never seen a TC on TV or live happen I broke my virginity tonight! Very little betting experience and won in the Derby, lost since then. Some of you need to stop whining about AP winning. I lost $300 but am so F***** pumped to have experienced this I can't wait to get MORE into the thoroughbred racing and handicapping!!! This is GOOD for the sport, GOOD. I LOVE it. I have never been in a bar in upstate NY like tonight where people were cheering for someone to win when they bet against him. Look what a special thing happened: people were losing money and rooting for it, it doesn't happen often. When was the last time you saw a gomer at a roulette table or slots root for the wrong number. Long live horse racing. It is good for the sport which benefits all of us. A great day. Enjoy it, from a newbies perspective.

:ThmbUp:

DeltaLover
06-06-2015, 10:02 PM

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Bravo

horses4courses
06-06-2015, 10:08 PM
Sometimes you just have to take a step back, and shake your head.

There will always be someone who has to go down that road.
Living life under the illusion that they're smarter than the average bear.

Helps make pari-mutuel wagering the great game that it is.... :ThmbUp:

clocker7
06-06-2015, 10:10 PM
No kidding. I'm so jazzed. The sport looked so awesome on TV today. Even the NY media maestros thought so, and extended their coverage.

I'm gonna watch Let It Ride just for the xxxx of it. Hail to Baffert!!

ILovetheInner
06-06-2015, 10:10 PM
I keep it in context. A lot of people were "whining" after Slew won the TC. They thought it came too easy, they thought he beat up on a bunch of lugs. He was a memorable juvenile champion....it was not as if it was some shock that he did win, but it seemed too easy. He in time more than proved himself, and I think you would have one heck of a hard time finding anyone who doubted his greatness as a racehorse. But I will say even today, people remember Bid's TC campaign (and loss) a lot more vividly than they do Slew's.

For those complaining, I get it. The Derby wasn't the prettiest thing you'll see and not particularly becoming for a horse of his reputation, the downpour in Maryland was a gift, it would be great if he were uncontested in the Belmont because he set an ambitious pace, but that wasn't the case either. I hope we do see him race some more and that he can add to his record.

Laminarman
06-06-2015, 10:12 PM
I can't stand it. Some folks bitch about AP and Zayet and this and that, but to me, this sport is dying unless it has an infusion. The average age at the OTB tonight was 104 with tobacco stained teeth (OK tobacco stained dentures.) This will only help the sport. I am now wondering how the hell I lost money and figuring out what races I can bet next. The money I bet next is the money I can lose that YOU can win so ENJOY and let the sport grow. Life is too God damned short to be bitter. I don't like Zayet but he's a pretty cool big headed horsey ain't he???

DeltaLover
06-06-2015, 10:12 PM
I keep it in context. A lot of people were "whining" after Slew won the TC.

Andy Beyer was a well know anti-Slew fanatic, who of course were proven to be completely wrong on his original assessments..

rastajenk
06-06-2015, 10:16 PM
I saw a facebook post of a baseball stadium's big scoreboard showing the race during the game, and I know persons who witnessed the same at the Reds' game this evening, and the cheer was bigger than anything that happened in the baseball game. This was pretty big.

letswastemoney
06-06-2015, 10:16 PM
Some people are not American Pharoah. Why force them?

Live and let live. I probably wouldn't even be a Chrome fan if I didn't visit him at a farm and feed him cookies personally. But I wasn't before that and didn't understand why anyone was offended that I could write anything critical.

whodoyoulike
06-06-2015, 10:19 PM
Hopefully, we'll get TV more interested in racing this and the next couple of years. You may not believe this but, ESPN used to have a dedicated show two or three times a week (or maybe the same show just shown 3x's). It was called "Racing to" something (I forget) but I was a faithful viewer. Chris something was the host recapping the best races during the week.

ILovetheInner
06-06-2015, 10:30 PM
Hopefully, we'll get TV more interested in racing this and the next couple of years. You may not believe this but, ESPN used to have a dedicated show two or three times a week (or maybe the same show just shown 3x's). It was called "Racing to" something (I forget) but I was a faithful viewer. Chris something was the host recapping the best races during the week.

Chris Lincoln.

Laminarman
06-06-2015, 10:43 PM
I was at the bar and my wife was at our daughter dance recitals. She watched the first two legs a few weeks ago. I just showed her the replay of today when she got home and "live" call and she teared up. She said, "I don't even know anything about this sport why the hell am I crying!!!??? " How is that bad for the sport? I wish Durkin called it, but it was a good call I thought.

Lemon Drop Husker
06-06-2015, 10:44 PM
I was sitting on a Pick 4 ticket with the 3-6-8 that was going to pay at the least nearly $3K, and with the 3, over $11K.

100 yards into the stretch I was cheering for American Pharoah to bring home the Triple Crown.

It was a great day, a great race, and a great moment that I'll never forget. We got to watch something pretty damn special today. Sadly, I absolutely knew there would be plenty armed and ready to poo poo all over American Pharoah's accomplishment(s) in this Triple Crown run. He runs the 2nd fastest Belmont for a Triple Crown winner, and for some it still isn't good enough. **** 'em.

Tall One
06-06-2015, 10:49 PM
I saw a facebook post of a baseball stadium's big scoreboard showing the race during the game, and I know persons who witnessed the same at the Reds' game this evening, and the cheer was bigger than anything that happened in the baseball game. This was pretty big.

"You should hear it here" was the text I got.. :ThmbUp:

Relwob Owner
06-06-2015, 10:51 PM

Today was awesome.....however, I just don't totally buy that this happening will be that "good for racing" like everyone says. Yes, it may raise awareness and get some fans in but once in, they will see the same problems we all see within the sport, won't they?

Also, all the people rooting today were rooting for something that hadn't happened in 37 years. Next year, it will be a year since it happened and won't be as special. Sorry to be a wet blanket, just kind of pessimistic but hoping that this will help to show the powers that racing can positively affect people and work to make it so once people get engaged, they won't be driven away.

tucker6
06-06-2015, 10:52 PM
I own a nightclub and the performers stopped between songs to talk to the crowd about the race today, and the new TC champion. AP got an ovation at 10pm from a non-racing crowd. Is that bad for racing?

Dave Schwartz
06-06-2015, 10:52 PM
I have to admit that my interest in "the horse" part of racing has been dead for almost 2 decades. All I have cared about was the betting side.

I mean, I have historically taken the days of the Triple Crown and Breeder's Cup off because they are atypical days and my personal approach just doesn't work so well.

Last night we watched 50/1 (the movie about Mine That Bird) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1777595/?ref_=nv_sr_1) and suddenly it all came back. I found myself so excited about today, hoping for a Triple Crown winner.

Then Beth ruined it all by informing me that we had an 80th birthday party to go to for a close friend at... get this... 1pm to 4:30pm (pacific). I said, "We can make the next one," but was thwarted on that idea.

Fortunately, we got away a little early and we walked in to hearing the call of "Riders Up!" so we saw all the important stuff.

Dave

PS: I would highly recommend that movie, even if you know the story.

Relwob Owner
06-06-2015, 11:14 PM
I own a nightclub and the performers stopped between songs to talk to the crowd about the race today, and the new TC champion. AP got an ovation at 10pm from a non-racing crowd. Is that bad for racing?

No. Never came close to saying it was bad for racing.

I just think the phrase "good for racing" is thrown around with more meaning than I see in reality. In a year, how many of these people will be watching the Belmont Stakes if the Triple Crown isn't on the line?

RXB
06-06-2015, 11:15 PM
Someone from HANA would have to dig up the name, but a guy did a Q&A session for the newsletter that came out before the Arkansas Derby and already he was of the opinion that American Pharoah had Triple Crown winning talent. Whoever it was, nice call.

Laminarman
06-06-2015, 11:25 PM

I just think the phrase "good for racing" is thrown around with more meaning than I see in reality. In a year, how many of these people will be watching the Belmont Stakes if the Triple Crown isn't on the line?

...well, I can pretty much guarantee that it will be more than YESTERDAY fella : )

Cicada
06-06-2015, 11:27 PM
I've always cheered for potential Triple-Crown champions...since I first saw Native Dancer lose the Kentucky Derby as a kid in the movie theater.

That's why Tim Tam, Carry Back, & Majestic Prince are still some of my favorites from the past. I hope nothing is changed.

Relwob Owner
06-06-2015, 11:29 PM
...well, I can pretty much guarantee that it will be more than YESTERDAY fella : )

I seriously doubt it if there is no Triple Crown on the line. It's tough to keep people's attention these days.

tucker6
06-06-2015, 11:30 PM

didn't direct that at you relwob. To your point, progress in this sport will not be made in leaps but in small increments. Today was a start, but more needs to be done by the PTB for true movement forward. One horse cannot do that.

Relwob Owner
06-06-2015, 11:34 PM
didn't direct that at you relwob. To your point, progress in this sport will not be made in leaps but in small increments. Today was a start, but more needs to be done by the PTB for true movement forward. One horse cannot do that.

Gotcha.... :ThmbUp:

Today did show people what a great sport it is and how 1 or two minutes can be so cool. Hopefully, we get some momentum from it and thank God the Triple Crown is over because I think I ran out of money to bet against AP....becoming a believer in him sure was expensive.

tucker6
06-06-2015, 11:40 PM
Gotcha.... :ThmbUp:

Today did show people what a great sport it is and how 1 or two minutes can be so cool. Hopefully, we get some momentum from it and thank God the Triple Crown is over because I think I ran out of money to bet against AP....becoming a believer in him sure was expensive.
AP is the only horse going for the TC in the last 10 years that I thought could do it. Why? I just simply thought he was better in all facets of the game. Good early speed. Good cruising speed. Versatile. The only knock was his closing times, but today showed me that even that can be well managed with him. Been a long time since we've seen a horse that could change styles from race to race.

Relwob Owner
06-06-2015, 11:43 PM
AP is the only horse going for the TC in the last 10 years that I thought could do it. Why? I just simply thought he was better in all facets of the game. Good early speed, Good cruising speed, Versatile. The only knock was his closing times, but today showed me that even that can be well managed with him. Been a long time since we've seen a horse that could change styles from race to race.

Definitely. Just wish I wasn't so stubborn and in this case, so incorrect. What was great, though, was knowing that even if I was wrong again, there would be a TC winner, which was just so damn cool.

tucker6
06-06-2015, 11:45 PM
Definitely. Just wish I wasn't so stubborn and in this case, so incorrect. What was great, though, was knowing that even if I was wrong again, there would be a TC winner, which was just so damn cool.
I was a teenager when the last three were won. Glad that at my age (51) that I could appreciate the feat more than back then.

Relwob Owner
06-06-2015, 11:49 PM
I was a teenager when the last three were won. Glad that at my age (51) that I could appreciate the feat more than back then.

Im 42 and didn't hit the track til I was 8 so this was my first and man was it awesome. :ThmbUp:

clocker7
06-06-2015, 11:59 PM
What is changing is the perception of horse racing as a must-see deal on its biggest days. That is a major positive, and more than offsets all the ragging about drugs that so-called "fans" spend their breathing moments doing.

The crowds at the TC events are an indicator. Records at CD and PIM, and roused one at BEL.

That's important. It means that the PC movement to marginalize racing culturally is struggling, despite all of the concerted effort in print and online to do so. The animal abuse meme--and the investment in it--is not resonating with normal people.

ReplayRandall
06-07-2015, 12:06 AM
What is changing is the perception of horse racing as a must-see deal on its biggest days. That is a major positive, and more than offsets all the ragging about drugs that so-called "fans" spend their breathing moments doing.

The crowds at the TC events are an indicator. Records at CD and PIM, and roused one at BEL.

That's important. It means that the PC movement to marginalize racing culturally is struggling, despite all of the concerted effort in print and online to do so. The animal abuse meme--and the investment in it--is not resonating with normal people.
There's no "normal" people anymore, just us here on PA... :cool:

Laminarman
06-07-2015, 09:52 AM
I was being funny. I realize that, I still think it's good for the sport.

Laminarman
06-07-2015, 10:08 AM
I have a TC hangover now. I mean, too much Crown Royal hangover not to mention empty wallet hangover. It was so cool to watch and late to the game at 51 but God that's gotta be the some of the best time spent this year: under 10 minutes in three races and all of them exhilarating.

My wife grew up in Albany and her mother has a good friend she worked with who is co-owner of a horse and will be racing this season in Saratoga (don't know which race but he's 3 and for NY bred is all she knew) She JUST called this morning because she called him for us and he said we're more than welcome to tool around with him and he'll bring us in the owners areas, stables etc. He's supposed to call me in the next few weeks. So looks like I'm going to Saratoga for the first time this year although I've been there in the off season.