Ill never see a triple crown winner in this lifetime...yikes

Longshot6977
06-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Colburn after lasts years Belmont

Then he must have died yesterday :eek:

cj
06-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Thought this was going to be about Larry Collmus. His Belmont call was fabulous today.

JustRalph
06-06-2015, 07:56 PM
Thought this was going to fbe about Larry Collmus. His Belmont call was fabulous today.

The video NBC showed on the after show was awesome. 👍

Larry was great. He's a real fan

elhelmete
06-06-2015, 07:57 PM

I thought so too, he showed a cool combination of a working pro and a fan.

Kash$
06-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Thought this was going to be about Larry Collmus. His Belmont call was fabulous today.

Just heard again cool as the other side of the pillow

Stillriledup
06-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Thought it was the ICE COLDDDDDDDD...

Trifectas?

Given out by PA.

Saratoga_Mike
06-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Colburn after lasts years Belmont

Thanks for the reminder. What a joker he was/is.

DJofSD
06-06-2015, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the reminder. What a joker he was/is.
The joker was the metrosexual dude they had on TV during the Derby.

Saratoga_Mike
06-06-2015, 09:25 PM

Last year? I have no idea what you're talking about.

bbixler18
06-06-2015, 09:27 PM

I'm pretty sure Johnny Weir isn't METROsexual......:kiss::D:kiss:

DJofSD
06-06-2015, 09:28 PM
Last year? I have no idea what you're talking about.
Well, I've erased that race from the DVR already, so, I don't recall his name or his game. They'd cut to him and his female side kick throughout the broadcast leading up to the race -- this year's Derby. Perhaps some others can do a better job relaying who was that hipster.

DJofSD
06-06-2015, 09:31 PM
I'm pretty sure Johnny Weir isn't METROsexual......:kiss::D:kiss:
Ya, I'm pretty sure he was something else -- as we say in golf, he was putting from the rough -- but I wasn't going to go there right from the get-go.

Saratoga_Mike
06-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Ya, I'm pretty sure he was something else -- as we say in golf, he was putting from the rough -- but I wasn't going to go there right from the get-go.

I remember now. I don't know who he is. I hate when they include that crap on the broadcast. Not him specifically, but interviewing/filling time with people who know nothing about racing. Maybe he's a huge racing fan?

DJofSD
06-06-2015, 09:36 PM
I remember now. I don't know who he is. I hate when they include that crap on the broadcast. Not him specifically, but interviewing/filling time with people who know nothing about racing. Maybe he's a huge racing fan?
I couldn't agree more.

A fan? No idea especially since I don't know who the heck he is let alone what are his proclivities.

nijinski
06-07-2015, 02:29 AM
Well, I've erased that race from the DVR already, so, I don't recall his name or his game. They'd cut to him and his female side kick throughout the broadcast leading up to the race -- this year's Derby. Perhaps some others can do a better job relaying who was that hipster.

Weir and Lapinsky are former figure skaters who went on to figure
skating broadcasting . Maybe they are trying to broaden and diversify
the fan base . Hey who knows , Kaitlin Jenner could show up with the
prettiest hat next year .

Longshot6977
06-07-2015, 09:18 AM

Great video watching Larry in the upper corner of the screen calling the race. He is a great pro and race fan. I'm happy for him that he got to call this historic race.

OTM Al
06-07-2015, 09:40 AM
I hadn't seen the network broadcast for several years before this year. Other than the race itself I thought they were the best part. Young people having a good time and trying to appeal to a wider audience. They aren't there for us. They are there or the rest of the audience and that is ok.

Tom
06-07-2015, 09:53 AM
How many of them will ever place a bet?

OTM Al
06-07-2015, 10:02 AM
A couple, which is a couple more than now. New players have to come from somewhere. Yesterday at Belmont I hosted a couple guys from a big fashion firm. They were enjoying themselves at the event but then wanted to learn what the betting was all about. I went over some of the basic stuff on the PPs and they were very interested and wanted to learn more. You have to get people watching before they get interested and come back. Whatever it takes even if it is something we regular players don't get.

thespaah
06-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Yep..Just the right amount of excitement to the call..No excessive yelling. Nothing to indicate "it's all about me" from Collmus.
Let's face it. In the broadcast industry, there are those people behind the mic who cannot help falling in love with the sound of their own voice. They ruin the moment when they make the moment about what they have to say about the moment.
Collmus did a fine job in keeping his excitement in check. He mixed the story( It's about a potential TC winner) into the race call while not forgetting there were 7 other horses in the race.
Collmus has come a long way from being a kid in his late teens calling races at Birmingham Turf Club.

cj
06-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Yep..Just the right amount of excitement to the call..No excessive yelling. Nothing to indicate "it's all about me" from Collmus.
Let's face it. In the broadcast industry, there are those people behind the mic who cannot help falling in love with the sound of their own voice. They ruin the moment when they make the moment about what they have to say about the moment.
Collmus did a fine job in keeping his excitement in check. He mixed the story( It's about a potential TC winner) into the race call while not forgetting there were 7 other horses in the race.
Collmus has come a long way from being a kid in his late teens calling races at Birmingham Turf Club.

He wasn't quite a teen at Birmingham, but close enough :)

thespaah
06-07-2015, 11:50 AM
I wish the networks would ask us whether or not we want the "fluff"....
I think it's ok to do features on the trainers, owners and riders IF their individual stories are potentially interesting to the viewers.
The feature on the owners of Funnycide( Sakatoga Stable) is an example.
What I find ot be a complete waste of my time is what kind of silly hat a person is wearing. Or the name of the designer of an owner's suit or dress.
Who cares about that crap....Save it for the Oscars.....

thespaah
06-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Let us not forget. Many people show up to these things because of the event itself. They want to experience the atmosphere. The drama about to unfold. If they don't care to place a wager, or just a couple of bucks, who cares.
Heck, I'd have made a $5 win wager on AP just to keep the ticket as a souvenir.
Of course if I were in attendance, my normal betting would have gotten done as well.
So what..let them have fun. Hopefully a good time was had by all.
Isn't that the point?

thespaah
06-07-2015, 11:54 AM
"Kaitlin Jenner could show up with the
prettiest hat next year"...
God help us all. :eek:

thespaah
06-07-2015, 11:59 AM
He wasn't quite a teen at Birmingham, but close enough :)
Collmus called the inaugural Alabama Derby in 1987.
He was 20 at the time....Ya got me on that one.....
Still a pretty good gig having your voice heard on a national TV( ESPN) broadcast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAjsuHNYbK4
Race starts at the 33 minute mark....
Oh, I don't miss Chris Lincoln one iota....Take about an broadcaster in love with the sound of his own voice.

JimG
06-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Still a pretty good gig having your voice heard on a national TV( ESPN) broadcast

Living in Atlanta at the time, I was there the day it opened. What a madhouse. Anyway, some horse named Queen Alexandria won the feature and they named the stakes after her in subsequent years.

AlBundy33
06-07-2015, 12:15 PM

Tara Lipinski I could watch all day long.

As for Johnny Weir.....no, no and HELL NO.

cj
06-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Still a pretty good gig having your voice heard on a national TV( ESPN) broadcast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAjsuHNYbK4
Race starts at the 33 minute mark....
Oh, I don't miss Chris Lincoln one iota....Take about an broadcaster in love with the sound of his own voice.

I was there in the booth for the race. Lost Code still one of my favorite horses.

biggestal99
06-07-2015, 01:53 PM

To make up for the blown call of the woody stevens earlier in the card.

"cinco Charlie is pulling away" LOL loses by a nose.

Allan

camourous
06-07-2015, 03:04 PM

Allan

He also said Untapable is going to lose 2nd to House Money, too many mistakes, one of many reasons to not like the guy.

chenoa
06-07-2015, 03:10 PM
He also said Untapable is going to lose 2nd to House Money, too many mistakes, one of many reasons to not like the guy.

That was a brutal call on Untapable stating he was beat for 2nd midway down the lane. Belmont call was ok. But just watched last race at Belmont and I thought he did a poor job of picking up Grey Wizard coming thru the field.

Dreading the Saratoga meet with him. :bang:

Stillriledup
06-07-2015, 03:21 PM
That was a brutal call on Untapable stating he was beat for 2nd midway down the lane. Belmont call was ok. But just watched last race at Belmont and I thought he did a poor job of picking up Grey Wizard coming thru the field.

Dreading the Saratoga meet with him. :bang:

Every track in America is falling over themselves to hire this guy.

ronsmac
06-07-2015, 03:47 PM
Every track in America is falling over themselves to hire this guy.That is a huge mystery to me. He's ok I guess.

olddaddy
06-07-2015, 04:04 PM
That is a huge mystery to me. He's ok I guess.

I agree but way too many mistakes on his biggest day. Too bad an ump on the other coast didnt get the gig.

Stillriledup
06-07-2015, 04:18 PM
That is a huge mystery to me. He's ok I guess.

He's a 'safe' guy to hire. If you're not looking for great, over the top, emotional heart on sleeve calls and are looking mostly for someone who won't embarrass you on or off the 'field' this may be your guy.

Tom
06-07-2015, 04:24 PM
So what..let them have fun. Hopefully a good time was had by all.
Isn't that the point?

Yes, but those that showed up were not in the audience for TV. My objection is that real people who support the game have to suffer that garbage on our big days of the year. Those who stayed home have already missed the big day. My GAWD, I was forced to watch TVG to escape Bob Costas! :bang:

nijinski
06-07-2015, 04:33 PM
I hadn't seen the network broadcast for several years before this year. Other than the race itself I thought they were the best part. Young people having a good time and trying to appeal to a wider audience. They aren't there for us. They are there or the rest of the audience and that is ok.

All joking aside, I have no problem with them and yes agreed it's all good
having these young folk who do have their own followers too .

iceknight
06-07-2015, 04:46 PM

Dreading the Saratoga meet with him. :bang:it was hardly a "brutal" call. Judging by the momentum of House Rules, it seemed likely she might pass Untapable by the time they got to the wire. I think Untapable showed some grit to hold on, but it seemed more likely that she would be third at the point when he made the call. Yes it was preemptive and wrong, but hardly brutal..

cj
06-07-2015, 05:28 PM

Allan

He did struggle on a few earlier calls, no doubt. That was very unlike him. But they won't be playing those calls 50 years from now. They will be playing the Belmont call.

cj
06-07-2015, 05:30 PM
I agree but way too many mistakes on his biggest day. Too bad an ump on the other coast didnt get the gig.

Only on the internet, where people don't really know the story, would this be suggested. Some airlines have baggage fees; people don't like baggage fees.

chenoa
06-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Every track in America is falling over themselves to hire this guy.

Once the "wife" call got into media, that was it, he was wanted everywhere.

Ruffian1
06-07-2015, 07:41 PM
1st year and it's the triple crown year and Belmont day. Give the guy a break.

C'mon man.

It's called 1st year nerves and he has a millisecond to say it.

In case you have never been in that spot, although I am sure you have:rolleyes: , it's a lot tougher than you might think.

Man, some people would bash Santa Claus.