PDA

View Full Version : HRTV on Dish

JimG
05-29-2004, 07:52 AM
From what I've been seeing online, it looks like Horse Racing TV is coming to the Dish Network.. It is supposed to be channel 404 in the near future although there is nothing on the Dish site about this.

Of course I have DirecTV and have seen nothing yet on DirecTV getting this network. I think Murdoch is tied to TVG so I am not holding my breath on getting HRTV. While this is not a biggie this time of year, it would be nice to get HRTV for the winter.

Jim

Valuist
05-29-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I have Dish Network but I haven't seen anything for it. I hope they get it since I plan on playing GP and SA next winter.

Tom
05-29-2004, 10:15 AM
What tracks does HRTV cover?

JimG
05-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Tom
What tracks does HRTV cover?

Tom,

Primarily the Magna tracks as they own the channel. A few others that do not have exclusive deals with TVG.

Jim

BillW
05-29-2004, 11:05 AM
It's not unusual for channels to just spontaneously appear on Dish network, especially the less hearalded ones. So no advanced publicity would not be unusual.

Yes, Murdock has a relationship with TVG. TVG simulcasts on Fox. Fox has formed a relationship with racereplays.com etc. They appear to be building a presence in horse racing. I don't know if Fox has any financial interest in TVG beyond this though.

Bill

garyoz
05-29-2004, 09:22 PM
News Corp., a Murdoch controlled company is the majority shareholder in Gemstar-TV Guide, the parent company of TVG. News Corp also owns Fox Broadcasting, which includes the Fox Sports Networks. News Corp. also owns DirecTV (as of last year). This represents potentially deep pockets behind TVG.

I used to have subscriptions to both DirectTV and DISH Network, DirecTV for the NFL package and also because I think that they do a better job than DISH on overall programming, technology, etc. I had DISH for TVG (before it was on DirecTV). I will probably get subscriptions to both again if DISH is indeed going to carry HRTV.

However, if you are mainly a horseplayer, this would make DISH the more attractive service than DIRECTV, obvioulsy. DISH and TVG renewed their agreement a couple months ago, so the TVG signal shouldn't be going away on DISH.

Parlay_Pete
06-01-2004, 03:55 PM
JimG,

Where have you seen references to this online? I have Dish Network and it would be great to have both HRTV and TVG. Somehow, I don't believe this will happen.

parlay_pete

JustRalph
06-01-2004, 05:32 PM
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish110.html

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:bp2waELXKBIJ:www.sat-address.com/gk/HorseRacing-TV.html+hrtv+on+dish&hl=en

It is on the same bird as the Dish Stuff now. It shows channel 404, but I can't pull it up. I noticed in some places in Europe they list it as available. Do a google search

Interestingly enough, channel 404 is right next TVG.........

cj
06-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Ralph,

Can you get DishNetwork in Europe? Not getting my hopes up, but damn, that would be great!

Valuist
06-01-2004, 05:43 PM
I guess the next question is will it be a part of "America's 60" or do you have to pay extra for the America 120 or 180?

JustRalph
06-01-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Ralph,

Can you get DishNetwork in Europe? Not getting my hopes up, but damn, that would be great!

http://www.brymar.co.uk/info/info.html

this site shows info and the "foot print" of the satellites. I don't know if the same channels are there though........I bet you could email these guys...........

I also found a site for "Sky Digital Sat" they list channels and decoders for europe.........sounds like an hour or so of google work.......

andicap
06-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Is it possible HRTV is on a second dish?

How many dishes do you have Ralph? I had two dishes when I subscribed to DISH. 404 would make sense since TVG is 405.

If they have HGTV, I might be headed back to Dish next year when my 12-month Cablevision promotion runs out. (They give me Internet, telephone including free long distance, and digital cable with all te HBO and Starz/Encore channels for $100 plus fees/taxes. Comes out to $110 a month. Sweet deal, but no TVG or HRTV, but I can get video signals online for some tracks.)

Alc
06-01-2004, 09:36 PM
I have contacted both HRTV and DISH. My contacts expressed no knowledge or HRTV being added to DISH network.

JustRalph
06-01-2004, 09:42 PM
I used to have two dishes a while back. Now I have only one.....but it is the size of the two small ones. Width wise anyway.

garyoz
06-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Both Cable and Direct Broadcast Satellite providers are facing an acute bandwidth squeeze. They are trying to add HDTV channels, and they are bandwidth hogs. Thus, there would seem to be better use for the channel capacity than for DISH to pick up HRTV. The good news is that TVG is definitely locked into DirecTV due to News Corp's (Murdoch's) financial interests. Also as mentioned previously, I believe that DISH Network renewed their deal with TVG. The bad news is that Magna is going after NYRA.

Slightly off topic, but I think the solution to the TVG/Magna standoff may come through the California State Regulators not renewing licenses (franchises) for phone/Internet wagering unless some TV deal is struck.

BillW
06-02-2004, 12:32 AM
I had someone tell me that he remembered Mcalpine make that statement a few weeks ago. If that is the case that would not have much bearing on reality.

Bill

rrbauer
06-02-2004, 01:16 PM
garyoz wrote:

Slightly off topic, but I think the solution to the TVG/Magna standoff may come through the California State Regulators not renewing licenses (franchises) for phone/Internet wagering unless some TV deal is struck.

Comment:

The ADW renewal issues are more likely to revolve around the current practice by some track operators that exclude their signals and wagering from one or more ADW companies in order to benefit their own captive ADW firm (such as Magna/XpressBet).

Members of the CHRB pari-mutuel ops committee are on record that the current practice which requires Calif residents have multiple ADW accounts in order to play the races at Calif tracks will not be allowed to continue; and, their leverage is the renewal of the ADW licenses, all of which expire this December. (The requirement that TVG allow YouBet to take wagers on the Calif tracks that TVG had "exclusive" agreements with, grew out of this and some pressure from the horseowners group, TOC.)

The current practice is preventing ADW companies from qualifying their companies (AmeriTab) to do business in California which is costing the state revenue; and, it also is hurting business because people like myself refuse to bet with XpressBet.

While the CHRB would like to see all California racing on TV, as would horseplayers and horseowners, the issues over content ownership are beyond the CHRB's control.

JustRalph
06-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by BillW
I had someone tell me that he remembered Mcalpine make that statement a few weeks ago. If that is the case that would not have much bearing on reality.

Bill

Bill, from what I gather, it is already on the Bird. The only ones able to decode it are affiliates of Magna..........it wouldn't take but a few keystrokes in the big computer to make it available to guys like me who already have dish.

JimG
06-02-2004, 06:32 PM
I think my original post was erroneous. I read it off of a satellite TV board but failed to take note of the original post, which was in June of 2003. Sorry to have raised the hope of Dishnetwork subscribers.

Jim