PDA

View Full Version : The Belmont Stakes Analysis

Teach
06-06-2015, 06:51 AM
In Post Position order:

:1: Mubtaahij shipped in from the United Arab Emirates this spring and ran in The Derby in early May. This Irish-bred does not appear to be a player here in The Belmont Stakes, yet he did run decently in “The Run for The Roses”. This colt was hampered by traffic in the Derby and should find this smaller 8-horse field more to his liking. This 3-year-old would benefit from any moisture on the race track (showers predicted for the early-morning hours). The colt’s morning work-tab is acceptable, but his frequent-recent works are mostly of the short-distance variety; that would not appear to adequately prepare this colt (I’m not the trainer) for today’s grueling long-distance marathon. In his favor, the red-hot Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. In summation: slight chance for a minor award.

:2: Tale of Verve could be “the sleeper” here, especially if there’s any residual moisture on the race track. This Tale of The Cat-bred colt was second to American Pharoah in The Preakness. This Unbridled-bred would move up, as cited, if predicted early-morning showers linger and put enough moisture down to list the track as good (unlikely) at Belmont Stakes time just before 7 p.m. This colt’s morning work-tab has been very good; he recently “bulleted” five panels in a blazing :59 secs., breezing. This colt’s connections have shifted from Joel Rosario (I thought he got everything he could out of this colt in The Preakness) to the most capable, veteran reinsman, Gary Stevens. In summation: moves up on wet surface; might possibly earn a minor award.

:3: Madefromlucky won The Grade II Peter Pan at Belmont one week after The Derby. The Smart Strike-bred chestnut colt has something that all of the others in this field don’t have, a race over the track, and a winning one at that. That’s a factor that some people dismiss; yet I feel that it can work to this colt’s advantage. This 3-year-old will look to make a stalking trip. The question remains: Can he get the 12-panel distance? That’s a question mark for him and for most of other horses. They’re going where they’ve never raced before. Dosage. Dosage. Dosage. The red-hot Todd Pletcher is the colt’s conditioner. The razor-sharp Javier Castellano reprises the ride. In summation: The added distance may be difficult for this colt to overcome.

:4: Frammento would appear to be a distinct outsider here. This colt’s only win came in a maiden-special at Keeneland last October. Oh, this colt has been entered in prestigious races, e.g., The Kentucky Derby, The Blue Grass, The Fountain of Youth, and The Holy Bull; yet his best showing was a third in The Fountain of Youth. Yes, the horse was bumped late in The Derby and trainer Nick Zito is taking the blinkers off. I just don’t think this colt merits much attention in this race. In his favor, he does have the services of jockey Mike Smith; however, I believe it will take much more than that. In summation: likely also-ran.

:5: American Pharoah is “The Man”. Well, “The Horse”; unless otherwise dethroned. As President Franklin Delano Roosevelt said at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia, in late-June, 1936 (he went to defeat Alf Landon by a landslide): “This generation of Americans has a rendezvous with destiny.” Well, this Empireof the Nile-bred colt has a rendezvous with thoroughbred-racing history. Personally, I believe he’s equal to the task. For one, this Empire Maker-bred colt was hard used in The Derby, yet he came right back in The Preakness to win by seven lengths (he was greatly aided by heavy showers, which he relishes, at least according to his breeding, just before the race) in winning handily. It was like a sashay in the park. No, he’s not invincible. However, I have my doubts that anybody can beat him. If, by chance, the Belmont racing surface comes up wet, all the better. Don’t expect much at the mutual windows. Just be happy that you are quite likely to see horse-racing history: the first Triple Crown winner in nearly 40 years. Victor Espinoza reprises the ride for trainer Bob Baffert. In summation: The Triple Crown is within his grasp.

:6: Frosted. “Let me state my firm belief…” (I actually saw FDR as a 2-year-old boy in the fall of 1944) that if there’s a horse that has a chance, this is ‘the horse’. Frosted finished a closing fourth in the crowded-field Derby. I liked him then. I believe he’s got a shot here. The colt’s rested. Fit (based on his workouts). Fresh. He has the chauffering services of “El Dominicano,” Joel Rosario. Rosario is one of the best “money” jockeys in the business. He’ll get everything he can out of this colt. This horse won “The Wood”. Kiaran trains. Nota bene: Ignore at your peril. In summation: If the top pick falters…

:7: Keen Ice would appear, at first blush, to be a rank outsider. Just one pari-mutual win and that came in a maiden-special at Churchill around Labor Day last year. In his favor, this colt did close in The Derby, his last start. Since then, the colt’s morning works have been mediocre, yet of the lengthy variety (I like that). I believe this Curlin-bred can, based on his breeding, get the distance. That’s far from a given with all the colts entered. Kent Desormeaux, six years ago to the day “The Cajun” won the Belmont Stakes aboard Summer Bird, is in the irons for trainer Dale Romans: Remember Shackelford in The Preakness in 2011. In summation: Can be part at a price in an exotic.

:8: Materiality rounds out the field. As they say (whoever they are): “He who hesitates is lost”. Well, this Afleet Alex-bred colt hesitated at the start of The Derby…and lost. Not to say that he would have necessarily won. Yet, this colt’s failure to get out changed the whole complexion of the race. This Awesome Again-bred came on strongly at the end; yet, by then, it was too late. This 3-year-old should be out and gunning from his outside post as the horses leave the starting gate. When you do the limbo (I’d end up at the chiropractor’s office), they ask: “How low can you go?” In the Belmont Stakes, they ask: “How far can you carry your speed?” To be able to carry, or not to be able to carry, that is the question posed to Materiality. A word to the wise is sufficient: Speed, loose on the lead, is dangerous! If this colt gets away, there may be a whole lotta chasin’ goin’ on. The Puerto Rican, “El Padrino,” the Hall-of-Famer, Johnny V., is in the irons for trainer Todd Pletcher. In summation: Can be a factor if allowed to be loose on the lead; chance for part.