PDA

View Full Version : Switch-Pitcher Called Up to Majors by A's

Overlay
06-05-2015, 05:14 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=545809

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83638

Switch-pitcher Pat Venditte, previously mentioned (three years apart) in the two earlier threads above, has now been called up to the majors by the Oakland A's from their AAA farm club in Nashville.

Ocala Mike
06-05-2015, 05:21 PM
As bad as they're doing, maybe they ought to call up a midget, a la Eddie Gaedel.

horses4courses
06-05-2015, 05:40 PM
The A's might consider calling up Caitlyn Jenner :eek:

Stillriledup
06-09-2015, 04:45 PM
Bad rule: he has to declare which arm he's going to use before the AB takes place.

horses4courses
06-09-2015, 04:50 PM
Bad rule: he has to declare which arm he's going to use before the AB takes place.

What's bad about it?
He's at an advantage unless he faces a switch hitter.
Very few switch hitters hit equally well from both sides.

If the opposing manager changes the lineup, surely
the pitcher can change arms before facing a new batter?

PhantomOnTour
06-09-2015, 04:52 PM
I'd like to see what kind of glove he wears - must be custom made to fit both hands.

horses4courses
06-09-2015, 04:53 PM
I'd like to see what kind of glove he wears - must be custom made to fit both hands.

It is.
I saw a brief TV spot about it.
Very cool.

Stillriledup
06-09-2015, 04:59 PM
What's bad about it?
He's at an advantage unless he faces a switch hitter.
Very few switch hitters hit equally well from both sides.

If the opposing manager changes the lineup, surely
the pitcher can change arms before facing a new batter?

It's a bad rule because a player has a talent to do something and you're not letting him use his body anyway he sees fit. If he switched arms mid batter it's strategy.

horses4courses
06-09-2015, 05:02 PM
It's a bad rule because a player has a talent to do something and you're not letting him use his body anyway he sees fit. If he switched arms mid batter it's strategy.

It's a rare situation.
Baseball hasn't seen too many rule changes in a long history.
I think they're doing okay with this one.

Let's see how long he lasts, anyway.
It's a tough gig at "The Show".

Marshall Bennett
06-09-2015, 07:48 PM
I think it's a good rule. His team still has an advantage in that they don't have to go to the pen to bring in a pitcher to face a left/right handed batter. He won't tire as easily as he can share the load on each arm.
Then you want to break an old rule so he has an even greater advantage. I say no.

JustRalph
06-09-2015, 08:22 PM
I hope he is successful. Baseball needs something of interest.....

Robert Fischer
06-11-2015, 06:49 AM
Sounds cool.

I don't like that the rules are intended to nullify advantages/gimmicks before they even start...

Bettowin
06-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Make switch hitters declare from which side they are going to bat the whole game to take away that advantage if you are going to take it away from the pitcher who can pitch with both arms:)