PDA

View Full Version : Are we on pace for the best Breeders Cup Classic ever?

nads1420
06-04-2015, 08:04 PM
American Pharoah, California Chrome, Bayern, Shared Belief, Dortmund, Firing Line, Tonalist, Palace Malice, etc...

SO good.. would Dortmund and Bayern be a coupled entry?

great 2 years for racing overall

Tom
06-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Far too early to think about that.
Many of the good horses will be out for the year long before then.

handyman1968
06-04-2015, 11:57 PM
Chrome won't make it to the starting gate come October

Fager Fan
06-05-2015, 01:22 PM
American Pharoah, California Chrome, Bayern, Shared Belief, Dortmund, Firing Line, Tonalist, Palace Malice, etc...

SB may not be back in time. Palace Malice needs to show his old self. California Chrome will probably be scheduled instead for a 2 mile race over hurdles. As for AP, he'll probably get a stone bruise somewhere along the way and get swept off to the breeding shed.

Would be nice though if all those horses made it to the race.

RacingFan1992
06-05-2015, 01:30 PM

I'm waiting for Wise Dan to come back and beat them all in the Breeders Cup Classic. That would be epic.

Redboard
06-05-2015, 01:34 PM

Even if those you listed showed up, I doubt that it would come close to the 1998 Breeders’ Cup Classic. Stephen Foster and Whitney Handicap winner, Awesome Again, beat the 1997 Derby winner Silver Charm, the last two Belmont Stakes winners Touch Gold and Victory Gallop, defending Classic winner Skip Away, Euro champ Swain , Hollywood Gold Cup winner Gentlemen and Travers winner Coronado's Quest.

Lemon Drop Husker
06-05-2015, 02:18 PM
Every year I've meandered to the Breeder's Cup I've always wished for that monster Classic field.

The sad reality is that we'll get about half of them to the gate.

It will still be a great field, but the stars align only every so often and nearly all of these horses have shown some kind of proneness to injuries or missing extended periods of time.

Track Phantom
06-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Even if those you listed showed up, I doubt that it would come close to the 1998 Breeders’ Cup Classic. Stephen Foster and Whitney Handicap winner, Awesome Again, beat the 1997 Derby winner Silver Charm, the last two Belmont Stakes winners Touch Gold and Victory Gallop, defending Classic winner Skip Away, Euro champ Swain , Hollywood Gold Cup winner Gentlemen and Travers winner Coronado's Quest.

I would put the 1987 version in there, too.

1st: Ferdinand - (won 3.8M -- 3x G1 winner, '86 Derby)
2nd: Alysheba - (won 6.7M -- 9x G1 winner, '87 Derby, '88 Classic, HOY)
3rd: Judge Angelucci - (won 1.5M -- 3x G1 winner)
4th: Candi's Gold - (won 880k -- 2nd in four G1's)
5th: Cryptoclearance - (won 3.4M -- 15x in the money in G1's)
7th: Nostalgia's Star - (won 2.2M -- won '86 G1 Strub Stakes)
9th: Gulch - (won 3.1M -- 7x G1 winner, '87 Met Mile, '87 Wood, '88 BC Sprint)
10th: Afleet - (won 1M -- G1 winner, '87 Jerome)
12th: Skywalker - (won 2.2M -- won '86 BC Classic)

Fingal
06-05-2015, 02:49 PM
Every year I've meandered to the Breeder's Cup I've always wished for that monster Classic field.

It will still be a great field, but the stars align only every so often and nearly all of these horses have shown some kind of proneness to injuries or missing extended periods of time.

I have to agree.

There's 2 ways to look at this, there's the negative Debbie Downer way, & then there's what probably will turn out to be.

They are different.

And whoever goes into the gate we'll bet on it with great gusto, that part is a certainty.

So to quote the poet Robert Burns- The best-laid plans of mice and men oft go astray.

Redboard
06-05-2015, 03:15 PM

Yea.
Last year had quite a few 3 YrOlds , but was severely lacking in older horses. The only 2013 classic runner was Moreno. The other 2013 stars, Game On Dude, Palace Malice, Will Take Charge, Mucho Macho Man, ItsMyLuckyDay, were all hobbled.

castaway01
06-05-2015, 11:53 PM

If we get more than two of the horses listed to the gate, I'd be surprised.

Valuist
06-06-2015, 10:33 AM

By November, how many will still be racing? And those that are, how many will be in sharp form?

Valuist
06-06-2015, 10:34 AM

I remember seeing a Doug Salvatore post on the 1998 BC Classic and he made a pretty compelling case for it being the strongest BC Classic ever.