PDA

View Full Version : I've probably spent a house on the "All" button

Neumeier
06-04-2015, 08:29 AM
Anyone else use this wayyy too much? It's become a necessity for me at the track. I mostly do win bets, but every single time I do any type of exotic, it features "ALL".

I've had some huge hits by using it like a $43k pick 4 (my 2 ALL races were 15-1 and 65-1) and other big hits, but I need to somehow learn to play without it. I'm probably down a small fortune over the past 20 years.

horses4courses
06-04-2015, 09:41 AM
If I recall, this is coming from the man who
asks why his significant other has high anxiety?
Just sayin..... ;)

Neumeier
06-04-2015, 11:01 AM
If I recall, this is coming from the man who
asks why his significant other has high anxiety?
Just sayin..... ;)\

Ha Ha...

95% of my horse playing was pre-wife luckily!

magwell
06-04-2015, 11:07 AM
I cant find the "all Button".........;)

Fingal
06-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Do you realize by using the "all button" you're saying that you like all the those in the race equally & hoping for a longer priced horse ?

I may not agree with everything Jim Cramer says on his CNBC program, but there's one saying I do-

Hope is not part of the equation

Ocala Mike
06-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Don't knock it - just say you'd rather be lucky than smart, and go collect!

The ONLY category that I'm ahead in this year at Twin Spires is superfecta betting, and I can unequivocally state that the little button labelled "ALL" is responsible. Hit a couple of nice ones just yesterday.

Redboard
06-04-2015, 02:06 PM
I don’t play superfectas, but as far as the pick 4, I never use the all button anymore. I’d rather play two tickets.

Instead of :

1 x 2 x 5 x 12(All) = $120

I do:

1 x 2 x 5 x 6(six highest odds) = $60

1 x 2 x 5 x 6(six highest odds) = $60

I keep the single in the same leg, if you can’t pick one winner in four races, give up. However, the 6 will be different legs.

The goal is to hit a ticket with a longshot in, don’t worry about those chalky tickets. They’re just not worth chasing.

(this is probably a better thread for the Handicapping forum)

DeltaLover
06-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Anyone else use this wayyy too much? It's become a necessity for me at the track. I mostly do win bets, but every single time I do any type of exotic, it features "ALL".

I've had some huge hits by using it like a $43k pick 4 (my 2 ALL races were 15-1 and 65-1) and other big hits, but I need to somehow learn to play without it. I'm probably down a small fortune over the past 20 years.

Since you can realize that hitting the ALL button is not the way to go, what you do not simply give up on it?

My advice to you would be, to completely forget long gimmics and concentrate on betting a single horse to win of at max a couple of exactas or doubles... Your bets should be heavier and always concentrated in one specific horse...

Stillriledup
06-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Do you realize by using the "all button" you're saying that you like all the those in the race equally & hoping for a longer priced horse ?

I may not agree with everything Jim Cramer says on his CNBC program, but there's one saying I do-

Hope is not part of the equation
Either this, or you are saying you want to throw out one horse but your bets are just too complicated and by not using ALL you have to specifically type out (or say) all the other numbers and theres not enough time sometimes to do that. Ive had situations where i didnt want to use all, but since theres no 'almost all' button i had to eat a combo or 2 or risk getting shut out.

Pensacola Pete
06-04-2015, 03:43 PM
There are some races in which every horse has a reasonable chance. Even so, without a carryover (i.e. mandatory payout Rainbow), I'm not playing "ALL".

What I'll do is figure out which of the horses in the "ALL" race will be the most overbet and eliminate those. That's usually the first two morning line favorites and the two likely longest shots on the board. The former are included by most people, and the latter two are overbet by people playing "ALL".

DeltaLover
06-04-2015, 03:48 PM
There are some races in which every horse has a reasonable chance. Even so, without a carryover (i.e. mandatory payout Rainbow), I'm not playing "ALL".

If you cannot make up your mind there is no shame is passing a race.

One of the most important characteristics of an advanced bettor, can be found in his ability to pass on races where others are going to spread and to hit heavy where others will have the winning combo for a buck of two...

OTM Al
06-04-2015, 05:05 PM
If you cannot make up your mind there is no shame is passing a race.

One of the most important characteristics of an advanced bettor, can be found in his ability to pass on races where others are going to spread and to hit heavy where others will have the winning combo for a buck of two...
Yep. If you have to hit "all" you don't understand the race and if you don't understand the race, don't bet it. You are not required to do so. Only time, though I've never seen it, when "all" is appropriate is when you are singling at least two longer price horses in a P4 and have the third race down to just a couple. Then I can see it as you are playing your strong opinions and reducing it to a P3, but any more horses than that in the other legs it isn't worth it.

Stillriledup
06-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Yep. If you have to hit "all" you don't understand the race and if you don't understand the race, don't bet it. You are not required to do so. Only time, though I've never seen it, when "all" is appropriate is when you are singling at least two longer price horses in a P4 and have the third race down to just a couple. Then I can see it as you are playing your strong opinions and reducing it to a P3, but any more horses than that in the other legs it isn't worth it.

Unfortunately in America, because of horsemens grouos, fans arent permitted to bet on their strong opinions, theyre forced to have more than one specific opinion on a race, its not good enough to dislike a horse, youre forced to also pick the winner or pick other horses out of a pack of horses you may have no opinion on, so you can either go ALL or try n guess who you should toss out even though thats not your main opinion.

OTM Al
06-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Unfortunately in America, because of horsemens grouos, fans arent permitted to bet on their strong opinions, theyre forced to have more than one specific opinion on a race, its not good enough to dislike a horse, youre forced to also pick the winner or pick other horses out of a pack of horses you may have no opinion on, so you can either go ALL or try n guess who you should toss out even though thats not your main opinion.
Did you forget your meds today? I have no idea what this means.

Relwob Owner
06-04-2015, 06:09 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stillriledup
06-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Sorry for going Over your head, ill try n dumb it down next time.

OTM Al
06-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Sorry for going Over your head, ill try n dumb it down next time.
I don't think that has ever been a problem for you.

Stillriledup
06-04-2015, 06:19 PM
I don't think that has ever been a problem for you.

Than you should have no problem understanding it.

OTM Al
06-04-2015, 06:37 PM
Than you should have no problem understanding it.
Poorly spelled insults are rather humorous. Thet I do understand.

EMD4ME
06-04-2015, 08:31 PM
This is better than a comedy club! Thanks for the giggles guys LMAO

OTM Al
06-04-2015, 08:35 PM
This is better than a comedy club! Thanks for the giggles guys LMAO

I'm here all week.