PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about pools

Laminarman
06-02-2015, 01:03 PM
I'm really quite new to this. As a matter of fact, the first bet I ever made was this year's derby, and hit for 3 grand on a trifecta. Obviously now I'm studying all I can. I use Twinspires. What is the deal with these players pools? Do folks usually use them? They have a 100,000 dollar one that will be hitting a variety of picks Thur through Sat. Thank you. I enjoy this forum. Don't flame me if this is a stupid question!

Ocala Mike
06-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Not a stupid question, but a stupid bet, in my opinion. My past experience the few times I participated was one outright loss and two "scores," where I think I got less than an even money return. Go it yourself - more fun and more profit potential.

DeltaLover
06-02-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm really quite new to this. As a matter of fact, the first bet I ever made was this year's derby, and hit for 3 grand on a trifecta.

So, you mean that your first bet ever was a $30 straight trifecta?

Interesting....

Lemon Drop Husker
06-02-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm really quite new to this. As a matter of fact, the first bet I ever made was this year's derby, and hit for 3 grand on a trifecta. Obviously now I'm studying all I can. I use Twinspires. What is the deal with these players pools? Do folks usually use them? They have a 100,000 dollar one that will be hitting a variety of picks Thur through Sat. Thank you. I enjoy this forum. Don't flame me if this is a stupid question!

Not a stupid question.

The "Pools" that you are referring to is a $100K pool in which you invest money that Twinspires experts make wagers for the investing public. If any of those wagers win, you'll get your proportionate share of the winnings.

It is a way for smaller players to get involved with large tickets spread across a number of horses for a relatively cheap price. Not many people play 4 and 5 figure tickets.

Throwing in $10 - $20 isn't a bad idea. Say they hit the Pick 6 with a bomb or 2 that pays $450K. Can be well worth the time for a minimal investment.

BlueChip@DRF
06-02-2015, 01:50 PM

It's not the question that you will be flamed on….

thaskalos
06-02-2015, 02:04 PM

Interesting....

And he is asking US for advice? We should be asking HIM...

Laminarman
06-02-2015, 03:54 PM

Interesting....

Uh...yeah. Kinda funny, huh? And I also hit the exacta. About $3700 if I remember correctly. Kinda spoiled me dang it.

Laminarman
06-02-2015, 03:57 PM
And he is asking US for advice? We should be asking HIM...

Let's call a spade a spade here. I did as much as I could with what I knew and I happened to pick the right combo. I had a total of about $60 in bets and didn't expect much. I was floored when I won. Now...let's look at the Preakness...not so much success there. Lost my shirt. Do NOT look to me for advice. I had beginners luck. I've been trying to keep logs and do win only bets to see where my strength lies and I'm only about 30% wins (not by ROI only by W vs L to see how good I am at picking my own winners.) Not impressive. I use DRF but have just started using Brisnet. I'm not even sure how to bet the Belmont now with what odds we'll get.

PICSIX
06-02-2015, 06:29 PM

I've been betting on horses for 30 years, best advice, quit why you're ahead :lol:

Laminarman
06-02-2015, 08:07 PM
I've been betting on horses for 30 years, best advice, quit why you're ahead :lol:

This is NOT what I wanted to hear ; ) I think it's a riot. Mostly because it's not mindless like pulling a slot machine handle. I can actually try to use what little brain power I have. It's a steep learning curve I'm finding however.

thaskalos
06-02-2015, 08:14 PM
This is NOT what I wanted to hear ; ) I think it's a riot. Mostly because it's not mindless like pulling a slot machine handle. I can actually try to use what little brain power I have. It's a steep learning curve I'm finding however.

I think you are pulling our leg here, Laminarman. You made your very first wager on a horse a month ago...and you collected $3,700 on a $60 investment...while hitting the Derby trifecta for a $30 straight ticket. And you are telling us that you've already determined that there is a "steep learning curve" in this game? Are you sure you aren't telling us what you think we want to hear? :)

Some_One
06-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Anyone know what the best score for these player pools have been? It seems to be they just hit the all button everyrace hoping for bombs and might gets 3 or 4 to one on your money in the end at best.

magwell
06-02-2015, 08:52 PM

Interesting....Yep your right anyone thats been in this game for a while is not buying that one.........:D

upthecreek
06-03-2015, 07:34 AM
It amazes how many people on here refuse to believe a guy can get lucky@ the track the first time he goes(seen it often) but are willing to accept the BS the democrats throw out there at face value:lol:

castaway01
06-03-2015, 08:02 AM
It amazes how many people on here refuse to believe a guy can get lucky@ the track the first time he goes(seen it often) but are willing to accept the BS the democrats throw out there at face value:lol:

Do you have to bring the politics BS into the main forum? Also, it's not that people can't win the first time out, it's that if I was making my first bet, the odds are that it wouldn't be a $30 straight trifecta in a 20-horse field. It sounds unlikely, doesn't it? Now back to your playpen.

jk3521
06-03-2015, 08:03 AM
Wait a second, is your real name Laminarman or Letterman ? :D

upthecreek
06-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Do you have to bring the politics BS into the main forum? Also, it's not that people can't win the first time out, it's that if I was making my first bet, the odds are that it wouldn't be a $30 straight trifecta in a 20-horse field. It sounds unlikely, doesn't it? Now back to your playpen.
Lighten up ,just a joke And YES I believe him I have no reason or proof not to

Laminarman
06-03-2015, 09:14 AM
I think you are pulling our leg here, Laminarman. You made your very first wager on a horse a month ago...and you collected $3,700 on a $60 investment...while hitting the Derby trifecta for a $30 straight ticket. And you are telling us that you've already determined that there is a "steep learning curve" in this game? Are you sure you aren't telling us what you think we want to hear? :)

You're killing me here. I am not pulling anyone's leg at all. Let's put this in perspective: I read all I could, played a few bets on Twinspires (I didn't even know what "boxing" meant so I ignored that.) Yes, I won that much. But LISTEN: I lost $500 on wagers on the Preakness. I was feeling pretty damn good about myself. And I've lost several hundred since then on a variety of races. Trust me when I tell you I'm also getting frustrated. I guess I got lucky and it spoiled me but I liked the taste of what I got. Now my challenge will be to make smart bets on the Belmont and not lose too much.

thaskalos
06-03-2015, 10:23 AM
You're killing me here. I am not pulling anyone's leg at all. Let's put this in perspective: I read all I could, played a few bets on Twinspires (I didn't even know what "boxing" meant so I ignored that.) Yes, I won that much. But LISTEN: I lost $500 on wagers on the Preakness. I was feeling pretty damn good about myself. And I've lost several hundred since then on a variety of races. Trust me when I tell you I'm also getting frustrated. I guess I got lucky and it spoiled me but I liked the taste of what I got. Now my challenge will be to make smart bets on the Belmont and not lose too much.
There definitely is such a thing as beginner's luck in gambling; I know because it happened to me. IMO...it's a curse, and not a blessing. If you don't know what "boxing" is...then you have no business making $30 straight trifecta bets. The smart thing is to keep your bets down in the beginning...so you can learn the game on the cheap. The fact that you wagered $500 in the Preakness after betting $60 in the Derby also shows a certain recklessness that is fatal to a horseplayer. Learn all you can about the game first...and save the big bets for later. Bravado in the heart of a beginning horseplayer is an invitation for disaster.

Gallop58
06-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Studies using the online poker historical data have shown that a player winning early on was one of the major determinants of their future play. Illusion of skill: one of the best marketing hooks there is.

And no, I don't have any info regarding the original question!

nellanod
06-03-2015, 11:04 AM
I invested $20.00 in one of the pools in 2012--won the pick 6 and
a pick 4----I GOT FORM W-2G FOR GAMBLING WINNINGS--gross
winnings $8.19 and $2.05 federal income tax withheld. The Truth :bang:

ReplayRandall
06-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Uh...yeah. Kinda funny, huh? And I also hit the exacta. About $3700 if I remember correctly. Kinda spoiled me dang it.
Laminar, if you would, tells us the bets you made in the Derby that totaled $60, just so we can get that cleared up. Also, tell us who prompted you to make these specific wagers at these amounts, or were they your own strategy?

Laminarman
06-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Laminar, if you would, tells us the bets you made in the Derby that totaled $60, just so we can get that cleared up. Also, tell us who prompted you to make these specific wagers at these amounts, or were they your own strategy?

Numbers off a little bit but here's what I bet for the Derby, totaling $80 not $60. Apologies. Looked it up but there's LOT of losses after this. And my strategy for the Preakness was reckless, I won't be doing that again.

I bet this exacta twice and I do NOT know why to be honest.

Exacta #18, #10 $20 (did this twice, once early morning once right before the race based on God knows what...)
Trifecta #18,#10,#8 $20

Losing bets:
$5 to win on Danzig
$5 to win on Firing Line
$10 to win on Dortmund

Correction ten to win on Frosted not Dortmund

Laminarman
06-03-2015, 12:38 PM

I just read this post again Replay. Nobody prompted me to make them and I didn't have any real strategy. I felt confident AP was coming in on top. I think at least for me, it was a no brainer to include Dortmund and I read something about Firing Line and just simply put him second. I think, looking back, these were just my choices and I played them and figured if I lost, I lost. I'm fortunate that I can afford to blow $100 or more weekly and it was not really a big deal. For the Preakness I boxed stuff, I keyed stuff, I tried to cover my bases and then Tale of Verve killed me. It was stupid and without any real strategy. I've been reading a lot since and I've read that a person who is good at crafting bets will out play a good handicapper and I can see why. I got lucky, but have not been lucky since. I'm smart enough to know when I'm throwing money away which is why I'm here trying to learn more. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Redboard
06-03-2015, 12:45 PM

Too funny. :D

PaceAdvantage
06-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Lighten up ,just a joke And YES I believe him I have no reason or proof not toThis has nothing to do with lightening up. Politics has absolutely NO PLACE in the horse racing section (unless it's a political story directly relating to racing, like all the NYRA crap these past few years).

I'm sorry I missed your post, or I would have deleted it immediately...

Hopefully, next time, I won't be so slow.