PDA

View Full Version : Last day in the booth for Woodbine's Dan Loiselle

ArlJim78
05-31-2015, 12:26 PM
One of the best, Dan Loiselle calls his last race today in the 4th at Woodbine

Iconic Woodbine announcer Dan Loiselle to call final horse race Sunday (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/iconic-woodbine-announcer-dan-loiselle-to-call-final-horse-race-sunday/article24712983/)

The iconic voice of Canadian horse racing will call it a career Sunday afternoon after 29 years as the race announcer at Woodbine Racetrack. Loiselle’s final call will be the $125,000 Lady Angela Stakes for Ontario-sired sophomore fillies, and afterward he’ll make the trophy presentation to the winning connections.

Redbullsnation
05-31-2015, 06:22 PM
Not too bad of a career. You got a big shoe to fill, Robert...

NJ Stinks
05-31-2015, 06:54 PM
"and that's that!"

Nobody can accuse Dan of being full of himself. I'll miss him for sure.

HoofedInTheChest
06-01-2015, 01:17 AM
The final call.....

It was a sad day to say the least, he was one of the few announcers that i could stomach listening to, maybe he wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but the man did a great job for 29 years, you can’t deny him that. Dan is only one of two race callers that Woodbine has had since it opened in 1956. Loiselle’s good friend Tom Durkin was in town today to celebrate the career and retirement of his old buddy and appeared on the simulcast.

It won’t be the same at Woodbine without that distinctive voice calling the races, he will be missed for sure. Enjoy your retirement Danny Boy!

Robert Geller will call his first race at Woodbine on Saturday June 13, with Dawn Lupul and Greg Blanchard filling in for the next two weeks.

http://woodbine.imagefolio.com/ImageFolio43_files/gallery/Keith_Pics/DanLoiselle2_BURNS-ken.jpg

appistappis
06-01-2015, 01:22 AM
had a chance to meet and chat with dan a couple years back....really nice genuine guy.

TravisVOX
06-01-2015, 01:49 AM
I'm not just playing the "support the team" card here. Race caller or not, Dan is a tremendous guy, a huge fan of racing, a fantastic caller, a great joke teller and a wonderful ambassador for horse racing.

In the days leading up to a big race, receiving a text from him wishing good luck was more of a lock than your average 1-9 shot. It's funny how you get used to a certain sound when watching a track. Dan Loiselle is Woodbine.

That said, Robert Gellar is a fantastic replacement. Woodbine racing fans will be more than pleased.

AlBundy33
06-01-2015, 07:43 AM
Didn't look forward to Durkin calling his last race.

Didn't look forward to Dan Loiselle calling his last race yesterday.

Not looking forward to Trevor Denman and Ed Burgart when they make their last calls when that time calls.

While Durkin is my all time announcer, I don't think anyone makes racecalling look more effortlessly than Dan Loiselle did.

While Robert Geller is a very good caller in his own right, like stated above, he has enormous shoes to fill.

codysakic
06-01-2015, 12:34 PM
Speaking of Robert Geller, the kid who is replacing him Michael Dinerman is pretty sharp for a kid just out of college. I heard him yesterday and he called a 75-1 shot that won at Emerald. That kid has a bright future.

johnhenry81
06-02-2015, 09:28 AM
All great race callers mentioned above, but included in my list of favorites is Dave Johnson...he called Cal tracks and Meadowlands 80's and 90's (AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!)
Anyone know what he is doing since?

Tom
06-02-2015, 09:42 AM
He has a Sirius/XM radio show on Saturday mornings - Down the Stretch They come, with Bill Finley.

EMD4ME
06-02-2015, 11:00 AM
I AM SO DEPRESSED .... Robert Geller is an amazing announcer and as a HUGE Emerald Downs fan, I must say Woodbine is SO lucky to acquire him to replace this living legend. Best wishes on a healthy retirement Dan. I hate to hear another voice that i knew for my whole life, go away but best wishes to you.

wisconsin
06-02-2015, 05:01 PM
Like Geller a lot.

"Bad Tom not doing too badly at all" was the call deep stretch when we visited Emerald a few years back. My son Tom had me bet a couple of bucks on Bad Tom at 5-1.

chenoa
06-03-2015, 12:01 AM
Couldn't agree more. Geller is spot on. Such a shame Luke Kruytbosch was taken from us at such a young age. I thought he was a fantastic race caller. Loiselle and Durkin definitely 2 of the best.