PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Sunday, May 31

Teach
05-31-2015, 11:55 AM
Race One:

:1: Oh Billy Billy stumbled in his last about ten days ago and lost all hopes of hitting the tote. This lightly-raced, highly-priced Nureyev-bred colt gets a significant rider change to Irad Ortiz, Jr. Ortiz, Jr. has been as hot a petardo on Independence Day. He had three winners and two seconds on yesterday’s card. This colt has faced better throughout his racing career. His trainer, Naipaul Chatterpaul, has been “either or” conditioner throughout this Belmont meet. Either he wins or doesn’t hit the tote. Chatterpaul is very good with both second races off a claim and down 2+ classes.

Others: :6: Brendan G; :5: Hidden Warrior; :4: Blue Chips Only

Race Two:

:5: Prixa Storm gets my tepid nod, almost by default. This maiden-claiming turf sprint is devoid of proven turf sprinters. Yet, I must profess that I’m not going to the bank or mortgaging the farm with this horse. Yes, I’m hedging. Win he can. At a very short price. A top-flight jockey, yes. An outstanding trainer in Christophe Clement, but one thing, make that two, concerns me. One, this Storm Cat-bred colt has been away from the races for over two months and two, I’m not one-hundred percent sold that this colt can get the six panels. Hit the board. Yes, that looks like a good bet.

Others: :11: King Gatto, :10: Decent; :8: Refer

Race Three:

:7: Empress Maker is my choice in this turf-allowance marathon. When last seen on the race track, this Empire Maker-bred filly was finishing fourth in a 9-panel route at Keeneland. Yet, the DRF line reads: “hard held; improved”. This filly should be able to get the extra panel under the competent guidance of jockey Rajiv Maragh. This filly has hit the tote in 5 out of 7 turf tries. Graham Motion – he’s good with allowance races – is the filly’s conditioner. This Unbridled-bred had a recent 5-furlong “bullet” work.
Others: :1: Rock Me Mama; :2: Sequiota; :4: Striking Style

Race Four:

:2: Dynamo Flotilla is my medium-longshot upset-pick in this claiming sprint. This Dunkirk-bred roan colt should find himself in a perfect striking position to mount a closing charge. Any moisture on the race track would enhance this colt's chances. Trainer Robert Barbara is good with 2nd races off a claim. This colt had a recent “bullet” 4-panel work, handily. Jose Ortiz reprises the ride.

Others: :4: Watergate; :6: Possilicious; :3: King Thief.

Race Five:

:6: Vischer Ferry was last seen at Saratoga at the end of August in a MSW route; this Congaree-bred 4-year-old finished fourth. Well, after a lengthy layoff, this Arazi-bred is back on the fescue, only this time it’s a sprint for trainer Archibald Kingsley, Jr. (Kingsley, Jr. does reasonably well in turf starts). This gelding participated in one turf sprint at “The Spa,” a race in which he finished third. However, he did lead in that one and showed solid early speed. Javier Castellano is in the irons.

Others: :8: Draft Day; :11: Charge Latouche; :10: Junger

Race Six:

:7: Lady Eli is a perfect four for four on the green. She was last seen at Keeneland winning the Grade III Appalachian. Trainer Chad Brown does very well in most all racing categories. Irad Ortiz, Jr. reprises the ride.

Others: :8: Heath; :9: My Sweet Girl; :4: Miss Chatelaine.

Race Seven:

:6: McKenzie’s Way has faced better in the past. He is stretching out; that shouldn’t be a problem. His trainer, David Jacobson, is 33% when dropping 2+ classes. Jockey Angel Cruz is solid in the stirrups. A little moisture wouldn’t hurt.

Others: :3: Petrocelli; :2: Oltre’ Oro; :7: Private Tale

Race Eight:

:2: Bartiromo is my pick in this turf sprint nw3L. This Street Cry-bred filly was recently claimed by Danny Gargan. This filly is stepping up; yet she should handle the class hike. The filly’s hit the tote in six out of nine turf tries. Eric Cancel is in the irons.

Others: :1: Indygita; :7: Runaway Giant; :9: Resolute Babe

Race Nine:

In the finale, my choice is :6: Shake Things Up. This Shakespeare-bred colt drops into the selling ranks after finishing fifth in a MSW turf try at Gulfstream Park back in early April; he was bumped in that one. This 3-year-old colt has the excellent training services of Christophe Clement. Clement does very well in most racing categories, particularly with shippers and with horses going from maiden to maiden claiming. The most capable Joel Rosario is in the irons in this turf route.

Others: :1: Coordinate; :2: Congrats to Ken; :10: School Yard

nellanod
05-31-2015, 12:46 PM
Sure do appreciate your picks and especially the comments. Thanks :)