PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Saturday, May 30, 2015

Teach
05-30-2015, 11:43 AM
Race One:

:2: Unforgettable Mark is my choice in the opener, a maiden-claiming turf sprint on The Widener. This Irish-bred 3-year-old filly is turning back more than two panels from her most recent one mile and one-sixteenth grass route over two months ago; she finished fourth in that one at Gulfstream Park. More specifically, this Royal Applause-bred filly was leading at the top of the stretch, but she faded to fourth. This shortened sprint distance should do wonders. I believe that if jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr. can clear early, it should be smooth sailing to the wire. Trainer Tony Dutrow does very well with shippers and reasonably well with horses who have been away from the races for prolonged periods of time.

Others: :9: Galroyale; :10: Kitty’s Pearl; :8: Lirica Heat

Race Two:

:1: Manahatta, a 3-year-old Unbridled’s Song-bred filly, got off to an auspicious start to her racing career last summer by winning at first asking at Delmar in a 6 and one-half furlong sprint. She was then ambitiously entered in two Grade I Stakes; in each case she finished well back. Well, she’s back on the race track for trainer Michelle Nevin, and, she’s in with the kind she can handle. Frankly, this filly’s morning work-tab has been a mixed back. If this Sea Hero-bred filly is reasonably ready, she will most certainly contend here. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Can he sweep the early double? We will either know by now, or we will soon know. In any event, he’ll have to time his closing move just right to garner all the enchiladas.

Others: :4: Eastern Rose; :2: Clothes Fall Off; :6: Predicate.

Race Three:

:10: Lucky Leroy Brown is my longshot try in this maiden-claiming turf route. This Leroidesanimaux-bred gelding finished third in his last race, a maiden-special turf-route back around Labor Day, 2014. Prior to that he finished fourth at “The Spa” in another maiden-special route. Frankly, I’m a bit concerned about the gelding’s lackluster morning work-tab. Yet, I like the familial, aunt-niece connection of Linda and Taylor Rice. Taylor has had only one other win and that came aboard a Linda trainee. Can this connection repeat itself? Maybe. I also like the fact that this gelding is breaking from an outside gate. This gelding is dropping in with the kind of company she can compete with.

Others: :3: Number One; :2: Caprock Kid; :9: Late Night Mark

Race Four:

:7: Boston Strong just missed in this company last time, about a month ago. The Pioneerof the Nile (Empire Maker) – American Pharoah bloodlines – The Belmont’s just a week away. This 4-year-old gelding has turned in some decent works over the last few weeks. This lightly-raced gelding’s only win came on the lawn at Belmont in mid-September, 2014. Trainer John Terranova II does very well with beaten favorites. Angel Cruz is in the irons.

Others: :10: Irish Jade; :6: Chasintheblues; :5: Iced Over

Race Five:

In this optional-claiming state-bred route my choice is :2: Tizquick. This Tiznow-bred colt is stretching out a bit, that may help. The colt’s trainer, John Kimmel, does very well with horses making their third start off a layoff. In addition, the colt turned in a solid five-panel morning work about a week ago. Angel Arroyo reprises the ride.

Others: :5: Sea Raven; :1: Frost Jordan; :3: Native Hero

Race Six:

In this claiming turf sprint, my pick is: :2: Manofmanyvirtues. The Kitten Joy-bred colt draws the rail and is dropping down. That could be a prescription for a trip to the winner’s circle. This Brian Lynch trainee is taking the blinkers off; that may help. Trainer Lynch does very well with both blinkers off and first time claiming. Eric Cancel is in the irons.

Others: :8: Soul House; :7: Luv Dakota Skye; :9: Greeley Pack

Race Seven:

In this MSW turf sprint my pick is :12: Esther The Queen. This aptly named Purim-bred was steadied in her last while finishing fourth on the main about a month ago. I won’t read you the whole megillah, nor will I have you to take out your noise-makers when you hear Haman’s name, but this 3-year-old filly should take to the lawn like a duck takes to water. I don’t know how many cubits she can win by, but she has a solid chance of doing so. Jockey Rajiv Maragh for trainer Nick Esler.

Others: :13: Bold Print; :11: Congress Park; :1: Splendid Gold

Race Eight:

:6: New York Chrome is my pick in the state-bred allowance sprint. This Jason Servis trainee easily won his last in a MSW. He now moves up to winners. The one-panel cutback shouldn’t make much difference. Yet, I’m somewhat concerned that there are no published works since the colt broke his maiden almost a month ago. Trainer Servis is very good in most categories. Irad Ortiz, Jr. reprises the ride.

Others: :9: Gran The Man; :7: Disco Partner; :5: Global Positioning

Race Nine:

In the non-graded 200k Pennine Ridge Stakes turf route, I’m going with :6: Divisidero. This Kitten’s Joy-bred colt has won two races out of three in turf route efforts. This colt’s most recent effort was a winning one in the Grade II American Turf at Churchill Downs a little less than one month ago. This colt mounted a late-charging surge in that one to win by a little less than a length. Anything resembling that effort should once again find this colt in the winner’s circle. Rafael Hernandez rides for trainer Bill Bradley.

Others: :1: / :1a: Startup Nation/Takeover Target; :7: Made in Detroit; :5: World Approval

Race Ten:

:12: Fidelius is my choice in the finale, a one mile claiming route. This Storm Cat-bred gelding broke his maiden in his last against better; he does now face winners. Yet, the 4-year-old gelding seems to hold a class edge over most of the rest of the field. Trainer George Weaver does a very good job with horses going from sprint to route, albeit in this case just a half a panel. Anything resembling his last winning effort and this gelding becomes an immediate player. Manny Franco is in the irons.

Others: :9: Ireland’s Eye; :5: Majestic Guy; :4: Igotthediscoinme