PDA

View Full Version : Driving with an Apple watch? Not in Canada you don't.

DJofSD
05-29-2015, 11:48 AM
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/pincourt-man-fined-120-for-using-apple-watch-while-driving-1.2394293

Most of us know it's against the law to use a smartphone behind the wheel – but what about a smartwatch?

A Pincourt man learned the hard way that police won't tolerate those either.

Jeffrey Macesin received a $120 ticket and four demerit points after he was pulled over by the Surete du Quebec for wearing a smartwatch.

Greyfox
05-29-2015, 12:22 PM
The guy is probably right. He wasn't using a hand held device and probably anywhere else in North America it would be tossed out of court and the law would have to be rewritten.

But that ticket was issued in Quebec.
I once tried to fight a traffic ticket in Quebec.
The case was to be heard one snowy cold morning in a small suburb of Montreal.
The snow came down extremely heavy, but I persistently made my way through the deep stuff to the Court House.
When I arrived at the Court House it was locked.
A big sign on the door stated "COURT CANCELLED" due to the heavy snow.
A few weeks later I received a summons to come to Court again.
When it was my turn to plead my case I pointed out to the Judge
that the Court was Cancelled not Postponed.
Therefore my ticket should be thrown out.
The Judge would have none of that saying "A word is only a word, your case was postponed not cancelled in spite of what the sign said."
At that he would not dismiss the ticket and I had to pay it.

So the moral is a word is only a word to Quebec Judges, even if it is the wrong word.

Robert Goren
05-29-2015, 12:32 PM
The point is that like a smart phone, the Apple watch is a distraction. I am one of those people who think drivers should have 100% of their attention on their driving.

Greyfox
05-29-2015, 12:37 PM
The point is that like a smart phone, the Apple watch is a distraction. I am one of those people who think drivers should have 100% of their attention on their driving.

I agree, it is a distraction.
But the Law, as written, is wrong.
The Law needs to be rewritten to cover this type of distraction.
The ticket should be torn up.
Having said that, the car radio is a distraction too, but I confess to having it on all of the time when I'm driving.
I also drink coffee when I'm driving.
It's a distraction too, but I've never heard of a cop hauling anyone over for drinking one.
Robert Goren - Do you play a car radio or have a coffee while driving?

_______
05-29-2015, 12:56 PM
I agree, it is a distraction.
But the Law, as written, is wrong.
The Law needs to be rewritten to cover this type of distraction.
The ticket should be torn up.
Having said that, the car radio is a distraction too, but I confess to having it on all of the time when I'm driving.
I also drink coffee when I'm driving.
It's a distraction too, but I've never heard of a cop hauling anyone over for drinking one.
Robert Goren - Do you play a car radio or have a coffee while driving?

In California there is a law against "driving while encumbered". It's meant to cover situations where someone has a dog, baby, or other object that interferes with the ability to control the vehicle. I haven't heard of that being used for drinking coffee but I imagine it's possible. Putting on make up and shaving are anecdotally situations where people have allegedly been cited.

PaceAdvantage
05-30-2015, 02:44 PM
When are they going to ban smoking while driving...that can be a helluva distraction...especially when a lit cigarette falls between your legs... :eek:

Tom
05-30-2015, 03:11 PM
That's how I learned how to downshift.