PDA

View Full Version : SMARTY JONES DISASTER PROFILE

daylami
05-27-2004, 08:24 PM
don't know if i have ever seen this for any major horse in all my life.

but smarty will have had one published work between the derby and the belmont

actually from april 24th to june 5th. one work!!!!!

daylami

BeatTheChalk
05-27-2004, 09:23 PM
I have never seen a work pattern .. . like Smarty's .. that I can
remember. I guess the trainer knows best. Cant imagine he
wouldnt work the horse Once over Belmont. .... Just so they
dont put Smarty on the cover of Sports Illustrated or
Time /Newsweek !!!

PaceAdvantage
05-27-2004, 10:39 PM
Yup, he sure looked like he could have used a work when he was struggling down the stretch of the Preakness, didn't he?

He's being galloped 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 miles....he's getting worked inside of those gallops....

Let's face it, working out fast didn't help War Emblem or Funny Cide, now did it?

Bubbles
05-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage

Let's face it, working out fast didn't help War Emblem or Funny Cide, now did it?

We'll never know about War Emblem. He stumbled at the break and lost all chance.

Funny Cide: The work took something out of him, but so did a bonehead ride by Santos. He rushed his mount to the lead, and he was dead by the half-mile pole. Not saying either mistake being righted would have resulted in him beating Empire Maker, who was definitely the superior horse, or even Ten Most Wanted. But they sure would have given the crowd a heckuva roar at the quarter pole.

kenwoodallpromos
05-28-2004, 12:01 AM
I often see cheap horses wait 2 weeks after a race to work- but that was when the Preakness took place. I have also seen cheap horses worked 2 weeks after a race, and a week prior to another work or race. That is just wen Smarty worked.
I think Smarty is just a cheap $12 million horse.

BIG RED
05-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Published, unpublished, what does it matter. Smarty is not out partying all night(yet), still goes for long gallops and stays fit. What Servis has been doing has been working, I hope it stays that way. I would love to see his 'one' work at a mile, it would make me smile smartly.

BillW
05-28-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by BIG RED
I would love to see his 'one' work at a mile, it would make me smile smartly.

TVG has it live tmw at 1:00 EDT.

Bill

BIG RED
05-28-2004, 12:18 AM
I don't have TVG, but I can wait til sportscenter. They'll probably have something on it. Thanks

Turf2Dirt
05-28-2004, 02:47 AM
I absolutely LOVE the way Servis is training this horse, I feel a majority of modern trainers over train there stock, atleast in relation to how fragile the breed is now.

I pointed out that Lion Heart only had one walk day after the Derby, didn't seem to help him in the Preakness

The little guy is schooling these bigwigs, when you have to make endsmeet with cheap claimers, you learn keeping them in one piece is more important than putting extra "fitness" into them.

SJ just ran the highest rated TC race in 7 years, do you think Servis can train him hard and make him run faster?

delayjf
05-28-2004, 11:42 AM
I could not agree more, what this horse needs is endurance, not speed, given that he's already in shape after the two TC races how would 5 furlongs in 59 flat help him get a 11/2 mile race. A distance that he's not breed to run.

We can look at Charismatic, Real Quiet, Funny Cide, etc as prime examples of what not to do. If only Real Quiet had just a nose more endurance, he'd have won the TC.

SJ excersise rider is 160 pounds, and he litteraly has to stand up in the irons to prevent the horse from going all out.

This horses natural workout pattern may just be the reason he wins the TC.

KingChas
05-28-2004, 12:20 PM
Servis has been galloping Smarty 2-miles a day.This is how they train for stamina overseas.Today he worked 7f in 1:29+.He ran the inner furlongs(3+6) in :12s.Iwould consider these works more stamina builders than speed workouts.Let me add 2 mile gallops with 180 pounds on him.

BillW
05-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Galloped out at 1:44.2. Servis seemed happy. wasn't as live as I was led to believe on TVG ... it was live on tape :D

Bill

BIG RED
05-28-2004, 02:35 PM
I thought this was interesting.

The future (espn.go.com/horse/triplecrown04/s/2004/0525/1809195.html)

kenwoodallpromos
05-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Philly Park website archives hjas interviews with Servis and Elliot. Elliot worked SJ today.

BeatTheChalk
05-28-2004, 07:09 PM
I recall that race like it was this morning...gives me chills...
EG had a Mile Timed workout and a 7furlong workout coming up
to the Belmont. I love workouts..and the payoff was nice
double figures. Didnt want to root against Sunday Silence...
but .... .. I also recall that the trainer ( whose name escapes
me ) said that EG Thrived on working and being active.

Buckeye
05-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Shug McGaughey

Bubbles
05-29-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye
Shug McGaughey

Who just happens to be a new Hall of Famer. If the training philosophy in question worked for McGaughey and Easy Goer, chances are it'll work again. And Tapit and The Cliff's Edge, both stretch threats in the Belmont, are out of the race.

I'm beginning to agree with the handicapper's consensus that it may be wise to bet money in every other race of the 13-race card.

cj
05-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by BeatTheChalk
..and the payoff was nice
double figures. Didnt want to root against Sunday Silence...
but ...

No way Easy Goer paid double digits. Maybe $5 and change if memory serves, but no way double digits.

Buckeye
05-29-2004, 08:35 PM
I remember about $10.80 . . . now I'm going to look it up.

John
05-29-2004, 08:36 PM
REMEMBER GUY'S YOU HEARD IT FIRST AY PACEADVANTAGE.

"ANY HORSE WHO HAS NOT RACEED OVER THE BELMONT TRACK HAS EVER WON THE BELMONT"

[ START HANDICAPPING, YOU GUYS, THE BELMONT IS NOT A FREE LUNCH.]

cj
05-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Again I have to disagree...I am nearly certain that Touch Gold never raced at Belmont. He was in Canada as a 2yo, and definitely didn't race at Belmont until the Belmont Stakes at 3. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't bet against me :D

cj
05-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Come to think of it, neither did Commendable. I'm sure there are many others, but 2 is enough to disprove the assertion.

Buckeye
05-29-2004, 09:01 PM
Easy Goer: $5.20 to win.

A few others,

Secretariat $2.20
Seattle Slew $2.80
Affirmed $3.20

and Man O' War $2.10

Buckeye
05-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Citation $2.40

Too bad SJ can't join them :eek::eek:

He's never run a race at Belmont Park!
None of those afore mentioned could have won if they hadn't.:rolleyes:

NoDayJob
05-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by rocajack
REMEMBER GUY'S YOU HEARD IT FIRST AY PACEADVANTAGE.

"ANY HORSE WHO HAS NOT RACEED OVER THE BELMONT TRACK HAS EVER WON THE BELMONT"

[ START HANDICAPPING, YOU GUYS, THE BELMONT IS NOT A FREE LUNCH.]

I believe it's, "No horse has won the TRIPLE CROWN without having raced at Belmont Park before the Belmont stakes."

NDJ

John
05-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Noday your right, that is what I ment to say.....Thanks for correcting me.

Buckeye
05-29-2004, 10:21 PM
How many horses have failed to win the Triple Crown by losing the Belmont after they had raced there before?

How many angels can fit on the head of a pin?

Could Smarty Jones lose this race? Sure, but for reasons? or circumstances? known after the fact. What is expected to happen?

Bubbles
05-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye
What is expected to happen?

Simple: Smarty winning by the length of the stretch. :) :D ;)

BIG RED
05-29-2004, 11:51 PM
The way it's going now, Smarmy might be there by himself.

Secretariat
05-30-2004, 12:42 AM
How much money is going to be bet Smarty Jones to show? Will Belmont go broke in the show pool?

cj
05-30-2004, 06:00 AM
I don't think the show pool will loaded up this race on Smarty. The win pool is where he will be loaded up on with people looking to hang tickets on their wall. By the way, BRIS Bet is having a promotion, bet $100 at Belmont any day this week, get a $2 Smarty Belmont win ticket. (I'm assuming its from Belmont Park!)

As for the show pool, I guess it could happen, but 1 1/2 mile race would be a shaky time to try.