PDA

View Full Version : Bring back Durkin to call a possible TC winner!

Kash$
05-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Would love to hear Durkin one more time to call a possible Triple Crown winner.

Collumus has done a great job.

horses4courses
05-28-2015, 09:02 AM

Then why start the thread?
That was then....this is now. :ThmbDown:

Kash$
05-28-2015, 09:20 AM
Why start the thread?

I'm a huge Durkin fan and would love to hear him call a possible TC winner, nothing against collumus..

horses4courses
05-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Why start the thread?

I'm a huge Durkin fan and would love to hear him call a possible TC winner, nothing against collumus..

Durkin is a race calling legend, no doubt.
It's nice to imagine him having the chance to call home a TC winner.
For me, that's as far as it goes.

Redboard
05-28-2015, 10:11 AM

Nice sentiment and I'm sure Tom would comply if encouraged to do so, but have you considerred the possibility of AP losing?

I would rather see him do the SPA meet every year, until, at least he does get too old. As the biggest Durkin fan, Saratoga isn't going to be the same without him. Of course this would never fly with the new captain, Gordon Gekko. God forbid if they ever did anytjhing for the fan.. Having two employees on the payroll, when one would suffice, would affect his yearly bonus.
Tom does own a house in Saratoga and will be around.

OTM Al
05-28-2015, 10:15 AM
Last year he was making too many mistakes and needed to be replaced. This year people want him back. Sometimes silliness around here is mind boggling. The man retired. Leave him be. If you pay attention you would see he's still very active.

Kash$
05-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Last year he was making too many mistakes and needed to be replaced. This year people want him back. Sometimes silliness around here is mind boggling. The man retired. Leave him be. If you pay attention you would see he's still very active.

Who wanted him back?
I stated just for the Belmont Stakes call..Geez

OTM Al
05-28-2015, 10:28 AM
Who wanted him back?
I stated just for the Belmont Stakes call..Geez
Someone else has the job now. That is his to do. How would you like it if your employer brought back your predecessor for the biggest project of the year?

horses4courses
05-28-2015, 10:37 AM
Someone else has the job now. That is his to do. How would you like it if your employer brought back your predecessor for the biggest project of the year?

Good point :ThmbUp:

Donttellmeshowme
05-28-2015, 10:44 AM

Nooooooooopoooooo

ReplayRandall
05-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Durkin had 8 chances to call a Triple Crown winner. Unfortunately, he may have been a jinx, (same goes for Marshall Cassidy)......BTW, I loved Durkin's calls.

1997 Silver Charm 2nd (Touch Gold)
1998 Real Quiet 2nd (Victory Gallop)
1999 Charismatic 3rd (Lemon Drop Kid)
2002 War Emblem 8th (Sarava)
2003 Funny Cide 3rd (Empire Maker)
2004 Smarty Jones 2nd (Birdstone)
2008 Big Brown DNF (Da'Tara)
2014 California Chrome 4th (Tonalist)

elhelmete
05-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Nice sentiment and I'm sure Tom would comply if encouraged to do so, but have you considerred the possibility of AP losing?

I would rather see him do the SPA meet every year, until, at least he does get too old. As the biggest Durkin fan, Saratoga isn't going to be the same without him. Of course this would never fly with the new captain, Gordon Gekko. God forbid if they ever did anytjhing for the fan.. Having two employees on the payroll, when one would suffice, would affect his yearly bonus.
Tom does own a house in Saratoga and will be around.

I don't even know where to begin with this, I'm having a hard time believing this isn't a joke.

Durking retired from calling. Retired.

Why should *ANY* company have two people on payroll for one person's job?

Tom
05-28-2015, 11:54 AM

Woo Hoo! PLEASE, do it! :lol:

dilanesp
05-28-2015, 05:47 PM
I don't even know where to begin with this, I'm having a hard time believing this isn't a joke.

Durking retired from calling. Retired.

Why should *ANY* company have two people on payroll for one person's job?

+1

In addition:

1. It really doesn't matter who calls a race, anyway. Chic Anderson's call of Seattle Slew's TC win is boring and unmemorable. Doesn't take away from the accomplishment at all. And as far as we know, we don't even have Clem McCarthy's calls of the TC winners in the 1940's-- we still all know how great Citation was.

2. I suspect Durkin had good reasons for retiring. Race calling is tiring and involves a ton of concentration and hard work. Who says he would have even want to do this. Plus, he's out of practice, and I'm sure he knew his skills were diminishing at the end anyway. Does anyone really want to hear a call like he gave for Drosselmeyer's Belmont win?

Tom
05-28-2015, 08:30 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/92233/woodbine-plans-events-to-send-off-loiselle?source=rss

Durkin will be at Woodbine 5/31 for the final day of the Canadian Legend.

Rise Over Run
05-29-2015, 12:13 PM
You can still hear Durkin announce the broadcast copyright disclaimer each raceday. Hopefully that's enough.

AlBundy33
05-29-2015, 01:37 PM
Like most, Durkin was the best.....but at the same time, it wouldn't be fair to Larry Collmus if the did bring Tom Durkin back for one day to call the Belmont.