PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Sucks

wilderness
05-26-2015, 07:24 AM
My machine is old and still runs on XP.
My visits to FB are limited, however some months back FB would not allow copying and pasting from the version of Firefox I was using.

Installed Chrome to resolve the copy and pasting issue.
Worked fine for some months.

Recently the Chrome screen went blank and would not connect.
Turns out that Chrome caught some kind of malware (Spigot.A).
Ran all the tools and removed the malware.
Tried reinstalling Chrome and same thing.

I've NEVER caught any malware with FF, at least to the point that the browser stopped working.

PaceAdvantage
05-26-2015, 04:32 PM
The fact that you of all people caught malware is shocking to me.

In any event, I've never used FF, however, I am a devout Chrome user, and it has saved me on more than one occasion by warning me about a page I was about to visit...

Have there been articles written comparing the relative safety of Chrome vs. FF? I'd be interested in the results...

JustRalph
05-26-2015, 04:45 PM
Chrome extensions are a problem. I installed one last week to work with my security cams. It worked great. Until I rebooted the two machines that were running it. Even though I wasn't using the camera extension it was loading 5 extra versions of chrome at all times (I have 5 security cams) just in case I wanted to view the cams. It was bogging both machines down horribly.

Uninstalling made it worse. The extension damaged chrome on uninstall. I had to manually uninstall it and re-install. That sucked!

_______
05-26-2015, 05:15 PM
Most of my time on the web is with Safari but Chrome runs on my Windows machine without issues.

I had a similar hijack to the OP's a while back that affected all my Window browsers when I downloaded security softwear (lol!) at CNET and didn't unclick a rogue radio button. My travels in Binkyland were not happy.

It's hard to blame the browser when this happens though. I literally clicked through without reading what I was agreeing to download. Taught me to go direct to the source rather than route through a third party. And that I'm capable of being a complete idiot.

DeltaLover
05-26-2015, 07:22 PM
My machine is old and still runs on XP.
My visits to FB are limited, however some months back FB would not allow copying and pasting from the version of Firefox I was using.

Installed Chrome to resolve the copy and pasting issue.
Worked fine for some months.

Recently the Chrome screen went blank and would not connect.
Turns out that Chrome caught some kind of malware (Spigot.A).
Ran all the tools and removed the malware.
Tried reinstalling Chrome and same thing.

I've NEVER caught any malware with FF, at least to the point that the browser stopped working.

Give a shut to ubuntu

It is completely free, super easy to install and use , has tons of free applications and the chances you will ever have a problem with a virus are close to zero..

wilderness
05-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Many thanks for the replies.

Ten years ago (or even five), I was willing to adapt to technological advances, however as my activities wind down my willingness is less and less.
Hell! I'm terribly inept (and not willing to learn) at texting on my cell phone, rather I just throw the damned thing down in frustration (waiting for the day when I throw the phone on the garbage can).

wilderness
05-29-2015, 04:00 PM
The fact that you of all people caught malware is shocking to me.

In any event, I've never used FF, however, I am a devout Chrome user, and it has saved me on more than one occasion by warning me about a page I was about to visit...

Have there been articles written comparing the relative safety of Chrome vs. FF? I'd be interested in the results...

PA,
My internet activities these days are terribly restricted. Mostly a dozen or so of regular sites (couple of dozen tops).
Years ago, I used to wander to many obscure (even potentially harmful) sites, however when I began curtailing my activities (and began seeing the end of the tunnel) I wander/explore less and less.
The only thing I was using Chrome for was FaceBook, and thus ends my forte there!

GameTheory
05-29-2015, 05:19 PM
There is a general vulnerability with browser extensions if you allow automatic updates (for extensions). You check it out, decide to trust it, install the extension and possibly grant it access to data or the ability to run some kinds of code, etc. Then the extension author will sell the extension to someone else (who is now controlling what is in the updates to it) who is willing to use your data in ways you didn't sign up for (or something even more direct & malicious), but you've already trusted it.

Tom
05-30-2015, 06:58 PM
Chrome is a resource hog.
Same for FF.
A lot of people like both, but I have no use for them.

The only way I can use Chrome is to first go in and disable all plug ins.
FF is a lost cause - nothing can fix the pig.

There is not a plug in out there I want - I want speed and no frills.
Chrome was very good when it first came out. Then they updated it. Why? :rolleyes:

JustRalph
05-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Chrome is a resource hog.
Same for FF.
A lot of people like both, but I have no use for them.

The only way I can use Chrome is to first go in and disable all plug ins.
FF is a lost cause - nothing can fix the pig.

There is not a plug in out there I want - I want speed and no frills.
Chrome was very good when it first came out. Then they updated it. Why? :rolleyes:

exactly right. They are ruining it. You can uninstall the extensions and plug ins.

it works great, clean...........

Tom
05-30-2015, 07:43 PM
Only problem is, now videos.
One any of my browsers.
No PDF files on FF. Video, but no sound.

I may never make it to W7 - this computer crap is just a waste of time.
I have no use for 90% of what is on the market today.

Trying to watch Dave's video on pace and speed figs, but no sound.
Had it last week, but no video since then.

Just updated FF and that worthless shock flash adobe - nothing.

Just love how computers make life easier. :lol:

Tine to sign off forever, I think.
I have no more patience for anything computer related.

Dave Schwartz
05-30-2015, 08:36 PM
Tom,

I have had the same thing on my own machine - where video and/or audio will not play all of a sudden.

I have found several things that seem to interfere with it and they are not Chrome's fault. For me, they won't play in Media Player or even in Camtasia or Audigy. Audio and Video are just completely broken.

1. Catalyst Tools.
2. Adobe Air. (Which I completely uninstalled.)

Solution for me was to reboot, shut down Catalyst and all was well.

As for Chrome, it crashes on me like 10 times a day. And sometimes it leaves a footprint behind.

Ctrl-Shift-Esc is your friend. When you look in there and see like 4 or 5 Chrome processes (or more) despite the fact that Chrome is close, you do not have to close them all. Just close the one with the biggest footprint and it will close all those associated with it. I think they come like 5 to a set. LOL

Also, every version of Windows after (and including) Win95 gets more and more "rotten" with age. Admittedly, the more recent incarnations of Windows are more stable. I have NEVER had a problem with Win8.1 but admittedly do not use it very often.

The point is that after a while Windows needs to be re-installed from scratch. Lot of work but it is the world we live in.

Tom
05-30-2015, 09:14 PM
I also have to open Task Manager and end svchost and system processes frequently. I sometimes have 5-6 Chromes open, not by my doing. I finally got the video to work after re-booting twice. When I reboot, the computer cannot be sued for at least a half an hour, so this is not an option I like.

Why is it computers cannot have a device in them to play video without all the garbage? IF TV were developed by computer people, we would be still going to plays and movies.

I wish your "book" at the video was a real book - I would buy it!
Every time I use a computer, I am less interested in continuing to waste my time with it.