PDA

View Full Version : Track vs total handle

ilzho
05-25-2015, 08:15 AM
Can someone tell me the difference between "on track handle" and "total handle"?
Is it, what is bet at the track vs what is bet at other tracks through that track? Or what is bet at that track from other tracks?
Thank you

therussmeister
05-25-2015, 08:56 AM
Taking my home track, Canterbury, as an example. On track handle is what was bet at Canterbury on Canterbury races. Total handle is what was bet at all the other wagering outlets on Canterbury races. Despite the deceptive tittle "Total handle" it is not the total handle. To get the true total handle you need to add the two together.

There was a time when at some tracks "total handle" really was the total handle but I don't know if they do that at any track any more.

whodoyoulike
05-25-2015, 03:05 PM
I may be wrong on this but per Santa Anita's May 24 charts:

http://www1.drf.com/drfPDFChartRacesIndexAction.do?TRK=SA&CTY=USA&DATE=20150524&RN=99

On Track Attendance: 10,646

Mutuel Pool: $1,397,168 (on track only)

ITW: $2,418,713 (I think ITW means intra-state [throughout California] wagering)

ISW: $7,331,155 (uncertain what ISW means but the $7 million is what was bet on SA races for this day).

If this is incorrect, I hope someone else can correct my thinking.

Elliott Sidewater
05-25-2015, 03:19 PM
I believe that ISW means interstate wagering = all bets on Santa Anita races outside of California. Total wagering for the day = on track + ITW +ISW, in this case it was over $10 million.

whodoyoulike
05-25-2015, 03:38 PM
I believe that ISW means interstate wagering = all bets on Santa Anita races outside of California. Total wagering for the day = on track + ITW +ISW, in this case it was over $10 million.

Your statement makes sense. I've never used those $ numbers for anything other than general info. I'm always amazed if you just ask a question on here someone will have a good reply.

But, why can't Equibase also provide the total handle instead one needs to pull out a calculator?

Thanks.