PDA

View Full Version : Freshman sires

lamboguy
05-24-2015, 08:17 AM
i remember back in 1993 when KISSIN KRIS won the Haskell it was time to wait for his foals to hit the ground and start buying them as yearlings. he never turned out so great though as a sire.

the next one i had a hunch with was MALIBU MOON. he was trained by Mel Stute in California and owned by B. Wayne Hughes. we used to send the horses that went to the west coast to him. he was telling me how much he loved MALIBU MOON. he only broke his maiden and retired his racing career, but he went on to his second career.
off to Maryland he went to Country Life Farms. when his first crop of yearlings hit the ground in Timonium, i went there and bought 6 of them for prices anywhere from $3100 to $7500. a couple of them wound up being stake winners, and then he became a top flight sire.

this year i bought some HERE COMES BEN'S. he was trained by Charles Lopresti. so far these things look real good as well. most of his foals are New York Breds. i still have one remaining that i will be sending up to New York as well. he was on the small side when i bought him but he has really filled out and looks and acts like a runner so far. he's the kind of horse that will do everything that is asked of him without fighting you. i don't know how much speed he has because we haven't asked him yet, its more important that he doesn't get sore shins so he is still getting a solid bottom on him, i am pretty sure that the speed is there. i love horses that don't miss a day's worth of training for any reason and he hasn't since March.

powerrun
05-24-2015, 01:44 PM
i remember back in 1993 when KISSIN KRIS won the Haskell it was time to wait for his foals to hit the ground and start buying them as yearlings. he never turned out so great though as a sire.

the next one i had a hunch with was MALIBU MOON. he was trained by Mel Stute in California and owned by B. Wayne Hughes. we used to send the horses that went to the west coast to him. he was telling me how much he loved MALIBU MOON. he only broke his maiden and retired his racing career, but he went on to his second career.
off to Maryland he went to Country Life Farms. when his first crop of yearlings hit the ground in Timonium, i went there and bought 6 of them for prices anywhere from $3100 to $7500. a couple of them wound up being stake winners, and then he became a top flight sire.

this year i bought some HERE COMES BEN'S. he was trained by Charles Lopresti. so far these things look real good as well. most of his foals are New York Breds. i still have one remaining that i will be sending up to New York as well. he was on the small side when i bought him but he has really filled out and looks and acts like a runner so far. he's the kind of horse that will do everything that is asked of him without fighting you. i don't know how much speed he has because we haven't asked him yet, its more important that he doesn't get sore shins so he is still getting a solid bottom on him, i am pretty sure that the speed is there. i love horses that don't miss a day's worth of training for any reason and he hasn't since March.

Good luck, lamboguy, with your Here comes Ben's crop. Maiden races and breeding are my favorite ways to handicap horse races. I will be sure to look out for your runners!

lamboguy
05-24-2015, 02:05 PM
Good luck, lamboguy, with your Here comes Ben's crop. Maiden races and breeding are my favorite ways to handicap horse races. I will be sure to look out for your runners!
the first baby for HERE COMES BEN ran in Prarie Meadow's a week ago. the horse had a very weak rider on him and he missed the break, the horse rushed up the rail and ran third, the winner was an Iowa bred though!

there were horses in the 2 yo in training sale that sold for $90,000 and $300,000 at Timonium last week. i had one that sold in OBS for $50,000, a Korean guy bought him and kicked him back. i resold the horse for the same price and he is already in New York.

Big Peps
05-24-2015, 07:08 PM
Uncle Mo is 2 for 2 out of the gate. Bens looked real solid at sales from what I heard, bid on a couple but went over my price range. I liked the sid Candys and thought a few of the trappe shots looked good at an affordable price.

1st time lasix
06-09-2015, 11:18 AM
I bought into a Freud 2 yr old filly in the April auction ...off to Saratoga in Christopher Clement's barn. A friend told me that he has been impressed thus far with what he has seen from Here Comes Ben. Good luck!

DeltaLover
06-09-2015, 12:02 PM

:ThmbUp:

Best of luck with your yearlings...

Ben seems like a promising sire..

I like the fact that he is inbred to Natalma.. Following the line of the top sire Street Cry is definitely a very encouraging sign also.

powerrun
06-09-2015, 12:27 PM
the first baby for HERE COMES BEN ran in Prarie Meadow's a week ago. the horse had a very weak rider on him and he missed the break, the horse rushed up the rail and ran third, the winner was an Iowa bred though!

there were horses in the 2 yo in training sale that sold for $90,000 and $300,000 at Timonium last week. i had one that sold in OBS for $50,000, a Korean guy bought him and kicked him back. i resold the horse for the same price and he is already in New York.

I like a maiden that shows some interest in the stretch run so this is positive for the Praire Meadow's starter. Good luck next race! Oh, I just put Zoo Yorker on my stable alert!

lamboguy
06-09-2015, 12:51 PM
the one we sold ran in the first New Bred maiden a few weeks ago, he went to the lead and bucked shins for Leo O'Brien

i didn't be that one, but i bet a Chad Brown firster last friday that Javier Castellano had the lead and a strangle hold on that wound up flipping his palate.

those things are all part of this game.