PDA

View Full Version : Looking for handifast Users

Handiman
05-23-2015, 03:03 PM
I'm contemplating a serious update for Handifast. But before I commit to the time and work, I would like to know how many people use the program. Regardless how you use it, just interested in if there is enough user demand to make the effort worthwhile, or should I use my time and energy for something else.

Please respond in some form so I can get an idea whether I should go forward.

Thanks,
Handi:)

PICSIX
05-23-2015, 03:57 PM
I use it every day that I handicap the races. :ThmbUp:

barshoe
05-23-2015, 03:58 PM
IM IN USE IT ALL THE TIME....THANKS

Viruss
05-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Handi

I use your program every time I go to the track.

Thanks again for your hard work. Earl J

jk3521
05-23-2015, 06:35 PM
Me, too. :ThmbUp:

pilot12321
05-23-2015, 06:53 PM
Handi, I use the program.

Thanks for your hard work, it is great appreciated.

Wayne

douglasw32
05-23-2015, 10:42 PM
Every Day

acorn54
05-23-2015, 11:43 PM
i use it every day,and again thanks for your generosity in providing it.
it is elegant in it's simplicity.

hyipro
05-24-2015, 12:40 AM
all the time also

Fingal
05-24-2015, 02:02 AM
Same thing, I run the file through it each time. And yes, your time & effort is appreciated.

rog9170
05-24-2015, 02:05 AM
I would like too use it but I use trackmaster files but I would love too see it use trackmaster files.

Pensacola Pete
05-24-2015, 02:29 AM
I use it, but I haven't figure out what to do with it yet.

upthecreek
05-24-2015, 05:59 AM
Never handicap without it!!

Handiman
05-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the input guys. It's going to take me quite some time but here's a peek at what I'm hoping to do. (Having to learn a new language to do this, but source code will be available.)

Print two races on a sheet of paper.

Instead of just 4 factor sets, an unlimited number of user defined factor sets, allowing user to be track specific, race specific, distance specific, surface specific, sex specific and class specific ......any mixture of those

Allow user to set weights and scaling of those weights.

So we shall see if this old war horse is up to the task. Wish me luck.

Thanks again,

Trips
05-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Handiman i am not a user but just wanted to say it is impressive that so many use and obviously like you're program. What is even more impressive, i believe you do all this for free. Very nice of you sir.:ThmbUp:

Handiman
05-24-2015, 06:32 PM
Thanks. But this wouldn't have even started if it wasn't for Doug Woods. Then add in Headhawg, and Mike Dorn. Hope I am not missing someone who has helped.

fast4522
05-25-2015, 01:13 PM
The main strength of it and Raybo's program is when used with the racing form I think. It's great if someone is new to racing that they have someplace to go that is FREE other than the paid programs. It is not a stretch if someone is new to racing would end up at Pace Advantage within a week and find their way to the software tab on the main page. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

raybo
05-26-2015, 12:51 AM
The main strength of it and Raybo's program is when used with the racing form I think. It's great if someone is new to racing that they have someplace to go that is FREE other than the paid programs. It is not a stretch if someone is new to racing would end up at Pace Advantage within a week and find their way to the software tab on the main page. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

That was the original goal of the "AllData Project", provide anyone who wants it an inexpensive (free except for Excel and data files), relatively shallow learning curve, way to get the majority of the tools one needs to do a good job of handicapping races. MS Excel and Bris or JCapper data files are about as cheap as it comes, and allows one to manipulate the data, if they want. Of course Handi's offering doesn't even require Excel. :ThmbUp:

redeye007
06-19-2015, 12:10 PM
I use it too each time I look at a racing card. I like to know the running style of the entrants to see if therre are any lone f's or strong closers especially on grass for runners that have never run on grass. I also sort thru all the other info. It's a very good tool.

Handiman
06-30-2015, 06:43 PM
The NEW handifast is under construction. Will have a new look and hopefully some cool new features. Well there will be new features, whether they're cool will be up to the user...:D

headhawg
06-30-2015, 07:35 PM
Good luck with it Handi. Did you settle on Python as your new language or something else? Me, I'm taking a shot at learning C#, but like many, too much to do and not enough time.

Handiman
06-30-2015, 11:41 PM
This will kill you Head, I'm writing it in Liberty basic...:) I have consulted with a programmer friend of mine and I think I can get it all done with LB.

We'll see.

terrygolf1313
07-04-2015, 11:06 AM
Use it daily--Thanks for all the hard work

keenang
07-05-2015, 05:26 PM
I use it when I handicap.

Geno

mikesal57
07-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Hey Guys...

There's a dozen or so of you that are using Handifast...

There's a thread that Handiman started that is asking for some user input/suggestions..

Any comments?

Also I put up a thread in the "Selections" area on Sundays Saratoga card..
Any of you guys want to work a few with me??

Mike

ghoshranen
07-26-2015, 11:40 PM
I use the program very often. I got a request. Please try to put an algorithm
that will think about the race shape-up. In other wards, let the program
decide whether the winner will be a speed horse or a stalker or a closer among the running styles of all the entries. I hope it makes sense.

raybo
07-26-2015, 11:57 PM
I use the program very often. I got a request. Please try to put an algorithm
that will think about the race shape-up. In other wards, let the program
decide whether the winner will be a speed horse or a stalker or a closer among the running styles of all the entries. I hope it makes sense.

I have the program also, although I haven't looked at it in quite a while. But, I think that any program worth anything, especially one that works with pace and final ratings, must include race shapes/field dynamics. Otherwise it's only half a program. I wouldn't dream of trying to 'cap a race without trying to figure out which running styles might be advantaged or disadvantaged.

mikesal57
07-27-2015, 07:42 AM
Guys...

I think that I asked for something like that...

Check out...Post 3

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124526

Thx

Handiman
07-27-2015, 01:37 PM
I have an idea I am mulling around that I think might work in regards to pace pressure and race shape.

We'll see what happens.

raybo
07-27-2015, 01:48 PM
I have an idea I am mulling around that I think might work in regards to pace pressure and race shape.

We'll see what happens.

Good idea! I suggest that you plan to include 1st call velocities or pace figures, as well as preferred running styles and Quirin early speed points, if you want to create a fairly accurate prediction model of the 1st call leaders. Running styles and Quirin points are only part of predicting the likely leaders. CJ will agree with me on this, by the way. Horses have to actually have the early speed potential in order to set or compete for the early lead.

mikesal57
07-27-2015, 02:55 PM

We'll see what happens.

yeah baby

upthecreek
07-29-2015, 11:03 AM
How does Handifast generate its pace #'s? Today race #5, #4 Yes for Success has had only 1 race on the turf @ a mile where he got a Bris LP rating of 93, yet on the handifast printout it shows a 77 All his other races were sprints
Any info/help appreciated Thanks

mikesal57
07-29-2015, 11:39 AM
How does Handifast generate its pace #'s? Today race #5, #4 Yes for Success has had only 1 race on the turf @ a mile where he got a Bris LP rating of 93, yet on the handifast printout it shows a 77 All his other races were sprints
Any info/help appreciated Thanks

Hey UP...

It depends on what file your using...
I use JCP file and my read-out shows a 47 LP for yes for Success on Handifast..

mikesal57
07-29-2015, 11:45 AM
I just looked at my PP's and actually Yes for Success should be ranked at the top in LP
No where should he be ranked 10TH like Handifast is showing...

Interesting and a answer from Handiman is needed

upthecreek
07-29-2015, 11:59 AM
I just looked at my PP's and actually Yes for Success should be ranked at the top in LP

I'm using Bris single file That was my thinking he should rank higher
Thnx for the reply

raybo
07-29-2015, 12:30 PM

I also have her ranked 1st after the 2nd call, in fractional velocities, off her last race. She has only one turf route race and it shows a 128 LP pace figure using JCapper files. The 3 is the only horse with a higher LP but that was 6 races back and has done nothing close to that since.

Evidently Handi is using an algorithm rather than just the raw pace figures. That last race was extremely slow early in a 50K claimer, today's race is a 55K Allowance. Doubt she can hang anywhere close to the leaders early and will be too far back to challenge late. JMHO! That high LP is really misleading because of the slow early pace and the lower class.

upthecreek
07-29-2015, 12:40 PM
I also have her ranked 1st after the 2nd, in fractional velocities, off her last race. She has only one turf route race and it shows a 128 LP pace figure using JCapper files. The 3 is the only horse with a higher LP but that was 6 races back and has done nothing close to that since.

Evidently Handi is using an algorithm rather than just the raw pace figures. That last race was extremely slow early in a 50K claimer, today's race is a 55K Allowance. Doubt she can hang anywhere close to the leaders early and will be too far back to challenge late. JMHO! That high LP is really misleading because of the slow early pace and the lower class.
I'm playing her on Kimmels stats 2nd time rt & grass & Rosario staying aboard & they got her eligible for this race by putting her in for $50,000 last out

raybo
07-29-2015, 01:00 PM
I'm playing her on Kimmels stats 2nd time rt & grass & Rosario staying aboard & they got her eligible for this race by putting her in for $50,000 last out

These are all NW2 so anything can happen, but those snail-like early fractions in her last race make that late performance look much better than it was, I expect the pace to be faster today which means that late performance is unlikely to be repeated today. The 9 looks like she is improving, if she doesn't bounce (legitimate favorite IMO). Won't be playing this race, although a longshot winner wouldn't surprise me.

upthecreek
07-29-2015, 01:40 PM
I have no chance The #4 is Tvg's Matt Carothers top pick! Lol

raybo
07-29-2015, 02:13 PM
I have no chance The #4 is Tvg's Matt Carothers top pick! Lol

Well, if she goes off at her ML odds, she's as good a bet as any. Though I will be surprised if she wins. Maybe Matt knows something that we don't, but I doubt it seriously. This race will have to literally "creep" along early, or several horses duel early and fade badly, for the 4 to have a decent chance of winning, IMO.

raybo
07-29-2015, 03:18 PM
Looks like nobody knows what to do with this race, 4 and 9 are the lowest odds at 4/1 and 9/2 with 0 MTP. I wouldn't feel good betting any of these horses.

raybo
07-29-2015, 03:41 PM
Man, that was hard to watch! Hope the jock isn't hurt bad.

Guess we'll never know if the 4 could have won or not, she appeared to be making a strong run when the mishap happened, causing several horses to check and veer, and a few jocks turning around to look at what was going on. 9 ran a good final 1/8th but whose to say what would have happened without the spill.

dkbigsky
07-31-2015, 06:10 PM
Is there a place I can get more information on handifast I really like it but I would like to know more about it. How to use the database. thanks

Pensacola Pete
08-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Is there a place I can get more information on handifast I really like it but I would like to know more about it. How to use the database. thanks

There isn't a database yet. That was a button put in when a database was being considered.

Handiman
08-03-2015, 11:34 PM
Sorry not really with it right now. Had a small surgery last Thursday and started bleeding overnight and had to be attended to, so not thinking well right now.

When some figures are not reliable or available due to few races, pedigree is used in the alogorithm.

upthecreek
08-04-2015, 06:45 AM
Sorry not really with it right now. Had a small surgery last Thursday and started bleeding overnight and had to be attended to, so not thinking well right now.

When some figures are not reliable or available due to few races, pedigree is used in the alogorithm.

Sorry to hear you had a health setback,feel better soon!

mmdorn
08-04-2015, 10:12 AM

Handi,

I hope you feel better soon.

Mike