PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Saturday, May 23

Teach
05-23-2015, 09:55 AM
I could conceivably "single" three, maybe four races, on today's Pick-6. See you with my picks in a couple hours.

La billos
05-23-2015, 11:00 AM
Just mapping out my picks for the first 5 races so I'll join you.

R1: :4: :9:
R2: :1:
R3: :2: :3: :6: (Might just board this race, but I like prices)
R4: :3: (Huge play possible, liked the :1a: :4: but scratched)
R5: :1: :2: :5: :7: :8: :11:

Tall One
05-23-2015, 11:29 AM
That 5th is wide open...

Looking at 4-6 pick 3..will post that play in a bit if thats cool with you both?

Teach
05-23-2015, 11:38 AM
La billos. Es un placer...

Here are my picks for you and everyone else on this forum.

Race One:

In his last race, :9: El Viejo Verde, with Kendrick Carmouche in the irons, appeared to have a gate-to-wire job in the works; however, he was reeled in in the final yards on that first Saturday in May by Luv Dakota Skye and his jockey, Joe Bravo (Bravo had a 5-bagger that day). Well, no Luv Dakota Skye as he joins the winners’ ranks. If Joel Rosario can get this gelding out and going as Carmouche did on Derby Day, then he should be able to prevail here. :4: A Marked Man was third in that same race; he showed a lot of energy in the stretch and finished a game third. Any slight improvement… :5: Andrew’s Got Zip got caught up in a speed duel in his last; this Richard Schosberg trainee had nothing left for his stretch drive. Chance for improvement today. Finally, :1: Leatherhead Lurie also came out of the Luv Dakota Skye race. The Noonmark-bred gelding finished fourth. The trouble line indicated bumping at the start; yet on replay, it appears negligible. Might get part.

Race Two:

:8: Call for the Clock is dropping down the claiming ladder. This Read the Footnotes-bred gelding now catches a field he should be able to handle. This horse was the even-money chalk in his last at “The Big A,” but he couldn’t get the job done. Now, against this softer field... Trainer Michelle Nevin does very well in claiming races. :4: Betweenhereandcool should contend here. He is stretching out big time off his more recent efforts. Yet, back in September at Belmont he did win out lifetime conditions in a 35k route, so he should handle the stretch out. :1: Duke of the City can’t be ignored although he did finish second against softer as a prohibitive one-to-two shot. Eric Cancel has been riding very well, in this case for trainer Danny Gargan. Finally, :3: I Want You to Know is a longshot try. Yet he does pick up the services of Rajiv Maragh. This gelding is making his second start off a layoff so there’s room for improvement.

Race Three:

:6: Hope Cross is my pick in this allowance turf sprint. This Irish-bred was the model of consistency, finishing either first or second, before finishing fifth at Aqueduct last November. Yes, there is concern over the lengthy layoff, and the filly’s morning work-tab has been nothing to write home about; however, she has impeccable connections in jockey Javier Castellano and her trainer, Chad Brown. At her best, if ready… :5: Orient Harboris another filly that’s been off on an extended vacation. She was last seen finishing fifth in this company at Belmont around Columbus Day. Yet, her trainer, “Shug” McGaughey, is very good with horses that have been on the bench for prolonged periods of time. Joel Rosario is in the irons. :4: Carolina Shag is shipping in and stretching out after finishing second in two 5-panel turf efforts at Pimlico. This is the Rahy-bred filly’s third start off a layoff. Cornelio Velasquez in the irons for owner-trainer Susan Cooney. Finally, :3: Magsamelia won out her lifetime conditions in her last, a six-panel turf sprint. This Gary Contessa trainee is moving up off her last start; yet she’s most capable of garnering a minor award.

Race Four:

:9: Devilish Grin is my choice in the maiden-claiming sprint. This Unbridled-bred colt finished a game second as the favorite in his last at Aqueduct about a month ago. This colt most certainly fits in this company. The half-panel turn-back shouldn’t hurt this colt’s chances of getting his picture taken. Eric Cancel for John Toscano, Jr. :6: April Color goes from turf to dirt, an angle that I’ve always liked. You can add to that the services of Johnny V. and trainer Todd Pletcher. Today’s class drop puts this colt in with the kind he should be able to contend with. :3: Aprettysmoothguy is also dropping and going from turf to dirt. Add to that the fact that trainer Nick Esler is adding blinkers. Javier Castellano is in the irons. :2: Scorpion’s Touch was third in this company in his last. The one-panel stretch out may not work to this gelding advantage; yet, he’s certainly capable of hitting tote and completing an exotic. Cornelio Velasquez for James Ferraro.

Race Five:

:8: Mr. Rosenthal is my medium-longshot pick in this turf claiming route. Yes, this Danzig-bred has not won for approximately one year, that coming at Belmont with his current jockey, Jose Lezcano, in the irons. In his defense, this gelding has hit the tote in half his turf tries. A solid recent work enhances. The gelding’s trainer, Greg DiPrima, does very well with second off a layoff. :7: Liberal Spin switches back to the lawn after finishing fourth in a dirt start at Churchill Downs. This Kitten’s Joy-bred should fit well in this company. Manny Franco for trainer Joe Sharp. :2: Non Stop gets a rider enhancement in the person of Joel Rosario. This gelding finished second at six panels on the grass about three weeks ago. Dave Cannizo conditions. :1: Saint Finian (the same Sire blood lines as American Pharoah) has hit the tote in half his turf tries. This colt won his last against weaker in a dirt route. The colt’s trainer, Emron Ibrahim, does well with first off a claim, albeit with a limited sample.

Race Six:

:6: Alexandrie gets my nod in this turf sprint. There’s that combo again: Johnny V. and Todd Pletcher. This filly won on the lawn in her only turf try. A note of concern, this filly has been away from the races for several months; yet trainer Pletcher does well in that category. This filly has had a steady array of solid works leading up to her return to the races. :3: Amber Morning fits well in this state-bred company. The 5-year-old Storm Cat-bred colt has hit the tote in her last four. Angel Cruz reprises the ride for trainer John Toscano, Jr. :9: Sweetpollypurebred was second in her last in this company; her first try on the lawn. It’s the filly’s second start off a layoff. Jose Ortiz is in the irons. Finally, :7: Andromeda’s Risk was fourth in her only turf try. Joel Rosario picks up the mount for trainer Bruce Brown.

Race Seven:

:2: H Man was narrowly second in this company about a month ago. The slight stretch out should help. So too should the services of jockey John Velazquez and trainer Dave Cannizo. :6: Special Ops broke his maiden in maiden-special company over a month ago. Although bumped at the start, this Big Brown-bred gelding edged away in the stretch to an easy victory. The gelding does join winners. Joel Rosario for Christophe Clement. :7: Quimet was last seen finishing up the track in a troubled trip at Keeneland in the Grade III Lexington. This gelding’s connections have had high, maybe overly ambitious, hopes for him, including entry in the Grade I Florida Derby at Gulfstream, a race in which he finished next to last. Yet, in this company… Finally, :1: Howl finished fourth as the favorite in allowance company a little less than a month ago at Belmont. This colt, although just one win in 19 tries, can garner a minor award. Javier Castellano is in the irons.

Race Eight:

In the Paradise Creek non-graded stakes, I’m going with the logical, :8: A Lot. This regally-bred colt has been first or second twice in six lifetime tries. This Tapit-bred colt was second in the Grade II American Turf at Churchill Downs on Derby Day. The Bill Mott trainee now turns back over a panel. That should greatly enhance this colt’s chances. Johnny V., The Hall of Famer, is in the irons. :4: Croninthebarbarian was last seen finishing third in the Grade III Palm Beach at Gulfstream over a month ago. Today’s turn back should help this colt’s chances. Javier Castellano for Chad Brown. :1: Enjoy the Show is my admitted longshot value try. I like horses with early speed potential coming out of the inside rail-post in turf sprints. This gelding won his last just prior to New Year’s Eve at Gulfstream. The gelding now turns back over a panel. :5: St. Louie won his last in a maiden-breaking turf sprint. This colt has decent turf pedigree; he might be a surprise factor here.

Race Nine:

:7: May Flowers just missed in this company a little more than three weeks ago. This A.P. Indy-bred filly should be closing best of all as the field reaches the top of the stretch. Timing is everything and jockey Javier Castellano is one of the best. This filly has been second in both her turf tries. Jeremiah Englehart – he does well with third starts off a layoff – is the filly’s trainer. :6: Stormy Alexis turns back a panel and one-half. That should help. So too are the services of Johnny V. and trainer George Weaver. Trainer Weaver does well with shippers. :1a: Neilinger was fourth in the May Flowers race. The filly came up empty turning three wide into the stretch. Yet the Tapit-bred may well improve in her third start off a layoff. She also dons blinkers for trainer Gary Contessa. :2: Smoke Signals rounds out my choices. This Street Cry-bred was blazing along on the lead in her last, only to fade as the field turned into the stretch. I believe there’s room for improvement for this Christophe Clement trainee. Manny Franco reprises the ride.

Pecci
05-23-2015, 11:54 AM
1) :9: :4: :6:
2) :1: :8: :4:
3) :3: :4: :2: :1: :6:
4) :9: :6: :3: :10:
5) :1: :2: :7: :11: :9:
6) :11: :9: :6: :5:
7) :7: :2: :3: :6:
8) :8: :7: :5: :4:
9) :7: :6:

Prytanis
05-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Best Bet of the day!!
Race#2. #8 Call for the Clock

Tall One
05-23-2015, 01:58 PM
$1 pick-3 races 4-6:

1,3/2,8/5,6,9,11

1,3/5,11/6,9

8,9/2,8/6,9

$32

GLA... :ThmbUp:

DeltaLover
05-23-2015, 02:03 PM
4th double:
:9: :8:

MarkMare
05-23-2015, 02:28 PM
Just mapping out my picks for the first 5 races so I'll join you.

R1: :4: :9:
R2: :1:
R3: :2: :3: :6: (Might just board this race, but I like prices)
R4: :3: (Huge play possible, liked the :1a: :4: but scratched)
R5: :1: :2: :5: :7: :8: :11:

hope you ended up playing the board in R3, not me :bang::mad:

just awful, done for awhile :faint:

Teach
05-23-2015, 02:59 PM
I'm playing the Pick-6 for little money. I mentioned that I believe that there are several singletons. Well, here goes:

:9: with :8: , :2: , :7: with :6: with :2: with :4: , :8: with :7:

Tall One
05-23-2015, 03:18 PM
As Homer Simpson would say...D'oh :bang:

Welp..rolling double anyone?

8,11/6

$10

Tall One
05-23-2015, 03:39 PM
All she wrote for me today. GLA.. :ThmbUp:

La billos
05-23-2015, 03:41 PM
All she wrote for me today. GLA.. :ThmbUp:

Same for me. Missed the first leg of the p5 so I went

1/ALL/3/ALL (3 Stepped out the gate bad and had no chance)

Then I smoke win on Franco since I'm out of the p4 and he can't get past the 40-1

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: