PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Wed., May 20

Teach
05-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Race One:

:3: Thundering Gale is my pick in this four-horse turf route. I liked the horse before the #1 was scratched, but not necessarily on top. Now, by default, I’m going with this Montbrook-bred, Chad Brown-trainee. The filly went off the chalk in her last against weaker; she finished second. The aforementioned Brown is good in many categories, especially with horses that have been away from the races for a while. Jose Ortiz is in the irons.
Other: :6: Lemon Song

Race Two:

:5: Thomas Knight takes a sharp class drop. This English Channel-bred colt is knocking on the maiden-breaking door. He’s finished second four times in six pari-mutuel tries. A few weeks ago, this colt tried the lawn and was steadied after the start; that appeared to compromise any chance of hitting the tote. The colt gets a new pilot, Javier Castellano, and a new surface, the dirt. I like the turf-to-dirt angle. Trainer Gary Contessa is a most capable conditioner; he’s had success in the past with maiden-claiming events.

Others: :2: Beatle Boots; :1: Ghost Swagger; :3: Summit Moon

Race Three:

:4: Iknewyouweretrouble gets my nod in this claiming sprint. The filly has failed as the favorite in her last two. This Forest Wildcat-bred should be out and going when the gates release. Jockey Jose Ortiz must ration out this filly’s speed and carry it all the way to the wire. Trainer Michelle Nevin does very well with horses dropping off a claim.
Others: :3: Bella Fachi; :2: Rock N Cozy

Race Four:

I like :1a: Lady’s Lunar Luck. This Storm Cat-bred stretches out a panel and has the services of Javier Castellano. The mare finished second in her last on the turf a few weeks ago. Trainer Rudy Rodriguez does well in claiming races. This is the mare’s second start off a layoff.

Others: :3: First Whippoorwill; :7: Simple Love; :5: Ave’s Halo

Race Five:

In this short-field maiden-claiming route my choice is :6: Lotsa Noodles. The mare is classier than most of these. The class drop should help. So too should the stretch-out. Jockey Angel Arroyo is capable; can get the job done. Trainer Steve Klesaris does well with both claiming and route races. The mare had a decent-recent work.

Others: :1: Matching Skies; :5: Ginny’s Grey; :4: Da Wildcat Girl

Race Six:

In this maiden-special turf route, my pick is :6: Ack Feisty. In this gelding’s only pari-mutuel start, a route on the lawn, he finished seventh; yet he was beaten by less than three lengths. The horse’s trainer, the red-hot Chad Brown, now adds blinkers; that should help avoid distractions. I should mention that trainer Brown does very well with second grass races. “El Dominicano,” Joel Rosario is in the irons.

Others: :4: Memories of Peter; :8: Plundering; :7: Lotza Heat

Race Seven:

My choice in this claiming sprint, non-winners of three, is the :3: Erik the Red. This gelding has faced better. The slight stretch-out can’t hurt. Plus, the gelding has the services of the most capable Jose Ortiz. Ortiz does very well in sprint races. The gelding’s trainer, Linda Race, does well with claiming and second starts off a layoff.
Others: :2: Best Man; :1: Gentrify; :7: Oh Billy Billy

Race Eight:

My pick here in this turf route is :2: Elroi. I must admit I like The Hall of Famer, John Velazquez, on the green. This may be a value play as I suspect that this Leroidesanimaux-bred will go off as a medium longshot. As cited, Johnny V. does very well in turf races. The horse’s trainer, Peter Pugh, doesn’t saddle many; yet he’s most capable of a conditioning a winner. This is the gelding’s second start off a layoff.

Others: :9: Barrel of Love; :8: Lawyer Jim; :6: Analysis

Race Nine:

In the finale, a maiden-special turf route, my pick is :7: Celtic Sunrise. This Freud-bred filly was third in this company in her last – her only pari-mutuel race. Any slight improvement… Trainer Christophe Clement is – as Cole Porter might say – C’est magnifique, on the lawn. Clement has a solid turf-starts record. One note of caution, the gelding has been away from the races for more than11 months; yet her morning work-tab has been solid. Joel Rosario is in the irons.

Others: :6: Hope’s Roar; :2: Fredaq; :8: Isthatallthereis

PICSIX
05-20-2015, 02:21 PM
R3: I'll go with :2: 2nd off claim for Jacobson. The :4: was claimed from Jacobson (might finish last).

PICSIX
05-20-2015, 02:23 PM
R3: I'll go with :2: 2nd off claim for Jacobson. The :4: was claimed from Jacobson (might finish last).

:4: Late Scratch