PDA

View Full Version : Horse on list

ultracapper
05-19-2015, 04:08 AM
I see this designation at the bottom of the Santa Anita workout report. Horses working out listed on the report with *** in front of their name is a "horse on list". Is this the vet's list?

ultracapper
05-19-2015, 11:52 AM
116 views and nobody is sure what "horse on list" means?

Overlay
05-19-2015, 12:53 PM
Here's another thread from two years ago from another board member asking the same question. Apparently, there was no clear consensus at that time as to which list was being referred to.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102022

Overlay
05-19-2015, 01:26 PM
I just called Santa Anita. The individual I spoke to there indicated that the list being referred to was the vet's list.

ultracapper
05-19-2015, 06:06 PM
Right on Overlay. Thank you very much for going to the trouble.

I never saw that other thread. I know how we hate going over the same ground here. I'm happy to have an answer, and again, I thank you.

I like knowing everything possible when it comes to handicapping. There are plenty of reasons this game is so hard for most players, and one of the reasons, the most unexcusable one in my opinion, is not understanding all the information provided. My brother-in-law has been playing the track for 40 years. Maybe 2 years ago, no more than that for sure, we were handicapping a race for older horses, and I'd mentioned that a particular 3 year old was racing with older company for the first time. He asked me how I knew that. WHAT??!!!! This guy has been reading a racing form for 4 decades, and didn't know what the 3 with an arrow pointing up meant. No wonder he can't win at this game. It got me to wondering what other stuff he didn't know. Over those 4 decades I'm certain he's made at least $1M in bets. He easily puts 2 grand through the windows per month, and he doesn't know even something as rudimentary as that.

green80
05-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Tracks maintain several list. There is a vet's list, a starters list ( for horses that break bad) and a poor performers list ( for horses beaten by a certain no. of lengths). Usually these horses have to work a specified distance in a specified time before they are allowed to run again. In my experience it has been 5f in less than 1:05. They also will pull blood on these horses after they work to check for illegal medication. One of these list is most likely what you are referring to. The horses marked with *** are working to get removed from said list and be eligible to start. The reason I know is because I have been on them all before. Hope this answers your question.

ultracapper
05-19-2015, 10:53 PM
Thank you G80. Even if at Santa Anita it's more than just the vet list as was indicated to Overlay, it sounds as though being on any list that might be referenced at the bottom of a workout report would indicate something negative about the horse. There's a horse running Thursday that worked Monday and is "on the list". Be interesting if the horse will be eligible Thursday. I'm not even interested in the race from a betting standpoint, but I want to see what happens with this horse and see if I can learn something through inference.