PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Battery-When to charge?

Flysofree
05-18-2015, 12:46 PM
Is there a recommended guide as to how low the battery should get before charging?
I don't think (not sure) it's safe to leave the battery constantly in while computer plugged in to wall for power.

whodoyoulike
05-18-2015, 04:14 PM
I've always had my laptop battery connected when the computer is plugged in for the last 10 years (for same computer). Otherwise, it would be open underneath (potential dirt and dust problems). When plugged in, the battery is always being charged.

Or, are you thinking of something else?

Flysofree
05-18-2015, 05:31 PM
I've always had my laptop battery connected when the computer is plugged in for the last 10 years (for same computer). Otherwise, it would be open underneath (potential dirt and dust problems). When plugged in, the battery is always being charged.

Or, are you thinking of something else?

Good point... I take battery out because it might overcharge and cause a problem, when plugged in.

Dave Schwartz
05-18-2015, 05:40 PM
IMHO, life is too short to do stuff like that.

Longshot6977
05-18-2015, 06:30 PM
Is there a recommended guide as to how low the battery should get before charging?
I don't think (not sure) it's safe to leave the battery constantly in while computer plugged in to wall for power.

You didn't mention what type of battery it is. While common with older models, NiCd tends to have a shorter lifespan, is easily susceptible to the memory effect, and may struggle to hold a charge with time. Let them run down, then charge them.

NiMh marks a step up in the amount of power provided, but recharging capacity is limited.

Most modern laptops and notebooks rely on lithium-ion – overall lighter, far less prone to overcharging, and considered the most efficient out of all possibilities. The shorter the discharge, the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine. There is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life.

Hope that helps.

Flysofree
05-18-2015, 06:47 PM
Yes mine is a Li-ion battery. DC10.8V Toshiba. So it should not be left in charge at all times if I read your post correctly.

forced89
05-18-2015, 10:39 PM
I have an ASUS laptop. At the bottom I can curse onto an icon indicating level of charge. Currently it reads "97% (plugged in not charging)". I'm not sure but I think it charges when it gets down to like 90%.

DeltaLover
05-18-2015, 11:02 PM
I unplug my laptop only when travelling..

Clocker
05-18-2015, 11:50 PM

Me too. And I have never had a battery go bad before the laptop became obsolete.

Tom
05-20-2015, 09:36 AM

You need a longer cord! :lol:

Flysofree
05-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Just to clear up my fuzzy brain on this. You do not need to unplug computer when battery charge is 100% (Li-ion battery)?

senortout
05-20-2015, 10:32 AM
I have a lenovo laptop, lithium ion battery as well. There is a specific setting available which you can set in two ways. First is to get maximum life from the battery. This is the setting we use, and will prevent the battery from charging beyond 60% or so. This is a better setting for us since the laptop is used with house current nearly 100% of the time. However, when you are planning to use the laptop away from such a power source, the setting can be changed, to allow full charging...this we would do if we anticipated leaving the home and using the battery to full advantage. So, perhaps this answers a few lingering questions that remain regarding battery efficiency vs battery life! I might add, that it is a very good thing the setting exists, in our case, because the battery is not that easy to remove!

upthecreek
05-20-2015, 10:37 AM
http://www.wired.com/2013/09/laptop-battery/

Flysofree
05-20-2015, 10:46 AM
http://www.wired.com/2013/09/laptop-battery/

40% - 80%...Thanks!

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Just to clear up my fuzzy brain on this. You do not need to unplug computer when battery charge is 100% (Li-ion battery)?I believe most modern laptops and batteries have technology in place to stop charging the battery once it reaches 100% or near 100%....no matter if it remains plugged in or not...

Flysofree
05-20-2015, 12:53 PM
Mine is 5 years old and I hope not to replace it real soon. I have been unplugging at 100%.

Red Knave
05-20-2015, 02:08 PM
I have been unplugging at 100%.
Not necessary. The charging stops at 100%. Even though the computer is plugged in the battery charges only when it needs it.

Flysofree
05-20-2015, 03:17 PM
Not necessary. The charging stops at 100%. Even though the computer is plugged in the battery charges only when it needs it.

Wired.com says it will kill your battery faster. See a couple of posts up. I have a Toshiba P745. The only battery warning it has ever given me was when the charge gets as low as 10%. Nothing on the 100% side.... But then again they may get a cut from selling new batteries and definately from a new computer.

whodoyoulike
05-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Wired.com says it will kill your battery faster. See a couple of posts up. I have a Toshiba P745. The only battery warning it has ever given me was when the charge gets as low as 10%. Nothing on the 100% side.... But then again they may get a cut from selling new batteries and definately from a new computer.

My laptop also provides a battery low indicator but whenever it is fully charged it has an icon which shows it is on AC power.

Did your computer manual have a warning to disconnect the battery to prevent overcharging?

Flysofree
05-20-2015, 06:03 PM
My laptop also provides a battery low indicator but whenever it is fully charged it has an icon which shows it is on AC power.

Did your computer manual have a warning to disconnect the battery to prevent overcharging?

That's a very good question. I don't know what I did with the manual.. Once I got everything figured out, I likely tossed it.. It has a little battery icon that while it is charging moves up and down.. When it is almost to 100% charged it stops moving. If I moved the pointed to the icon it shows 96%, 97% etc to 100%.. But nothing goes off or flashes or warns it's 100% charged.

Red Knave
05-21-2015, 04:54 PM
Wired.com says it will kill your battery faster. See a couple of posts up. I have a Toshiba P745.Interesting. I just looked online at the manual for your notebook and I see that you are right. They suggest taking it off AC for a few hours after it has fully charged.
My notebook manual says pretty much the opposite. My battery starts recharging when it reaches 95% and the charging shuts off at, I guess, 99.9%.

098poi
05-21-2015, 05:08 PM
You need a longer cord! :lol:

Good one.

Hoofless_Wonder
05-23-2015, 08:31 PM
I believe most modern laptops and batteries have technology in place to stop charging the battery once it reaches 100% or near 100%....no matter if it remains plugged in or not...

This seems to be the case for me. I've had 8 or 10 work and personal laptops in the last 20 years and have never had a problem with the battery.

I have ALWAYS fully charged and fully discharged a new laptop's battery several times when first using it, and that seems to be key for a longer battery life.