PDA

View Full Version : Capping the Belmont cost nyra millions.

Kash$
05-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Nyra capped the Belmont Stakes at 90,000 with a triple crown on the line the decision will cost them millions..

affirmedny
05-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Nyra capped the Belmont Stakes at 90,000 with a triple crown on the line the decision will cost them millions..

Lukas likes the cap, also opines on Coburn, Churchill, Pletcher, and more:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/lukas-applauds-nyra-decision-cap-belmont-attendance-article-1.2224604?ref=Outbrain&ADLocation=footer&ADPosition=2

PaceAdvantage
05-17-2015, 12:56 PM
Nyra capped the Belmont Stakes at 90,000 with a triple crown on the line the decision will cost them millions..Maybe they got tired of all the bashers who love to come on here and complain about NYRA and blame every single thing that goes wrong on them...including what happens with LIRR trains and whatnot.

Now you're bashing on them for trying to help alleviate what turned out to be very negative publicity for them last time out...

Funny stuff.

Look at the all time attendance numbers for Belmont Stakes day. If you kind a chuckle at the Smarty Jones numbers of 120,000+, which I do, then the other numbers barely top 100,000. So what are they giving up, really? 10,000 or so fans. Does that equal millions lost?

I don't think so. But it doesn't really matter. We'll see how well they can actually ENFORCE this policy, if they even DO or CAN.

The place will still be jam-packed, if last year was any indication (I thought last year was THE MOST PACKED I could ever recall, and I've been going since 1988). There will still be huge lines at the women's rest rooms, which will cause lines at the men's rooms...people will still complain about everything under the sun and the parking lots will be deemed a nightmare.

And I won't really care a damn bit... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not there for the bathrooms or the parking or the ticket prices or anything else, other than to see history in the making.

OTM Al
05-17-2015, 12:57 PM
Doubt it. Increase in ticket prices probably more than covered for it.

elhelmete
05-17-2015, 01:00 PM
Doubt it. Increase in ticket prices probably more than covered for it.

To a small degree...but for the most part the scalpers get the inflated prices.

charm city whizz
05-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Maybe they got tired of all the bashers who love to come on here and complain about NYRA and blame every single thing that goes wrong on them...including what happens with LIRR trains and whatnot.

Now you're bashing on them for trying to help alleviate what turned out to be very negative publicity for them last time out...

Funny stuff.

Look at the all time attendance numbers for Belmont Stakes day. If you kind a chuckle at the Smarty Jones numbers of 120,000+, which I do, then the other numbers barely top 100,000. So what are they giving up, really? 10,000 or so fans. Does that equal millions lost?

I don't think so. But it doesn't really matter. We'll see how well they can actually ENFORCE this policy, if they even DO or CAN.

The place will still be jam-packed, if last year was any indication (I thought last year was THE MOST PACKED I could ever recall, and I've been going since 1988). There will still be huge lines at the women's rest rooms, which will cause lines at the men's rooms...people will still complain about everything under the sun and the parking lots will be deemed a nightmare.

I'm not there for the bathrooms or the parking or the ticket prices or anything else, other than to see history in the making.

If I'm gonna stop by and say hi this year it's gonna cost me $600 to do it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PaceAdvantage
05-17-2015, 01:21 PM
I only paid $80 and change (minus the ticketmaster surcharges, that brings it up to about $100)... :lol:

classhandicapper
05-17-2015, 02:11 PM
I can't see criticizing the decision to cap attendance.

The fact that NYRA showed a willingness to sacrifice attendance and other sales money during tough times to provide customers with a better on track experience is one of the few things they've done that I think is not even debatable. It's almost unquestionably the right thing to do over the long term even if it costs a few dollars this year.

Hopefully, what they learn this year will help even more.

cj
05-17-2015, 04:24 PM
Saw this posted elsewhere, interesting:

Churchill is 115 acres,170,513 at Derby

Pimlico is 125 acres,131,680 at Preakness

Belmont is 430 acres,90,000 cap for possible Triple Crown

tanner12oz
05-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Maybe they got tired of all the bashers who love to come on here and complain about NYRA and blame every single thing that goes wrong on them...including what happens with LIRR trains and whatnot.

Funny stuff.

losing 10,000 fans spending $100 each is a million lost...they are losing more then 10000 fans and $100 each is very very very low factoring in tix, wagers, beverages, parking, programs etc etc...they are EASILY losing millions by capping at 90k. The 90k there will have a better time though

dilanesp
05-17-2015, 05:57 PM

No infrastructure in Belmont infield.

cj
05-17-2015, 06:05 PM
No infrastructure in Belmont infield.

I know, but they could if they wanted to do so. I personally don't care, I'm sure Belmont will do fine that day.

dirty moose
05-17-2015, 06:54 PM
Does Belmont really need to add the ridiculous amount of seats that Churchill has, all for one day a year?

ArlJim78
05-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Yeah its a real shame that they don't build those giant structures in the infield which severely restrict the viewing of the race. I mean don't all major sports erect buildings in between the stars and the camera?

OTM Al
05-17-2015, 08:48 PM
To a small degree...but for the most part the scalpers get the inflated prices.

Regular face ticket prices went up this year. Some well over $100. They will do just fine in that department.

BlinkersOn
05-17-2015, 08:51 PM
Capping it is probably a good idea, but enforcing it is another thing. Either way, there are always going to be unhappy people complaining about NYRA. :bang:

dirty moose
05-17-2015, 09:06 PM
Anyone here plan of going?

DeltaLover
05-17-2015, 09:11 PM

NO way..

The crowd drives me crazy.. Even though I have access to the VIP room and I am quite sure I can easily find a seat in front of the finish line, I do not like the idea of been squeezed by thousand of rookies who will be going around with a beer in their hands... Even if Secretariat was back, I doubt I would have gone to Belmont..

Ocala Mike
05-17-2015, 09:22 PM
I was there as a spectator for Secretariat in 1973 and, again, for Affirmed in 1978 while on the job. As far as I'm concerned, I've already seen history in the making. Good luck to AP, though; maybe it will give the sport a shot in the arm!

Stillriledup
05-17-2015, 09:39 PM

I think this is a really smart idea. NFL "Caps" the Super Bowl and its fine. Letting in the 90k people who want to be there the most will never hurt it also has the feel that "not everyone can go" which makes it more special.

Stillriledup
05-17-2015, 09:47 PM
I was there as a spectator for Secretariat in 1973 and, again, for Affirmed in 1978 while on the job. As far as I'm concerned, I've already seen history in the making. Good luck to AP, though; maybe it will give the sport a shot in the arm!

The next one that happens will be more special because it hasn't happened in a while, hopefully it can create more fans who have that as their first real racing memory.

Cratos
05-17-2015, 10:42 PM
New York City/Elmont is neither Baltimore or Louisville; what I am getting at is big time racing at NYRA Will not end with the Belmont Stakes.

There will be the rest of the summer meet, Saratoga, and the Fall Meet at NYRA.

Therefore if American Pharoah wins the TC and run at Saratoga he would be a huge draw; and if he would continue his winning ways and run in the JCGC during the Fall Meet, NYRA would cap a very successful season.

Robert Fischer
05-17-2015, 11:56 PM
I don't know.

I think there's something to be said for being able to say those 3 magic words.

I really don't see the whole system here to weigh the various pros and cons, much less make a definitive statement.

camourous
05-18-2015, 02:03 PM

I was planning on going, then i remembered just how awful the experience was last year, and will just stay home most likely.

charm city whizz
05-18-2015, 02:10 PM
I was planning on going, then i remembered just how awful the experience was last year, and will just stay home most likely.

Brutal experience

No drinks food and bathroom lines were insane

Hope it's a downpour like the funny cide Belmont and it keeps the crowd down

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Can't be any more brutal than this year's Preakness...can it?

I've been going forever, and I've never really come away thinking the experience was "brutal."

classhandicapper
05-18-2015, 02:44 PM

That's why they are capping the crowd and working with the LIRR etc.... This year should be a lot better.

classhandicapper
05-18-2015, 02:47 PM
bathroom lines were insane

Standing at the urinals with a bunch of guys doing our business and watching women walk right by us into the stalls because they got tired of the line to the women's bathroom was a unique experience.

dilanesp
05-18-2015, 03:26 PM
Standing at the urinals with a bunch of guys doing our business and watching women walk right by us into the stalls because they got tired of the line to the women's bathroom was a unique experience.

I once saw a football game at old Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia on a Monday night. The upper deck urinals were along a wall with a sloping ceiling formed by the upper deck seating bowl. The last urinal on the right, where the ceiling was lowest, could only be used by Willie Shoemaker.

Meanwhile, while there were only 6 urinals, there were several semicircular group troth wash basins operated by a foot pedal. I'm sure some of you have seen these. Due to the shortage of urinals, the Eagle fans were simply standing in a semicircle and peeing into the wash basins.

BlueChip@DRF
05-18-2015, 03:29 PM

Happens in NYC bars and clubs all the time.

Clocker
05-18-2015, 03:36 PM
Men are much more efficient. Studies show that the average woman takes twice as long to go to the rest room as the average man. So in new public venues, they are putting in a lot more capacity in the women's rooms than in the men's.

Tom
05-18-2015, 03:54 PM
We pick up 3.2 seconds by leaving the seat up.

Milkshaker
05-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Due to the shortage of urinals, the Eagle fans were simply standing in a semicircle and peeing into the wash basins.

This just gave me an unwelcome flashback to a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert I went to in 1987.

tubesockshakur
05-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Went to New York for my first Belmont in 2004. Born and raised in L.a so I had santa Anita and Hollywood to compare..... Was in awe of Belmont, so much history it was awesome. From the people, the city, everything, it was fantastic.

The Hawk
05-18-2015, 10:30 PM
Last year's Belmont was the worst experience I've ever had at a sporting event, and I was at Pimlico for the blackout. The 2014 Belmont was Exhibit A as to why the Breeders' Cup wants no part of Belmont. They can't handle the crowd, from the lines getting in to the lines getting out, to running out of anything and everything, to the plumbing, the LIRR, etc....

There's no reason a racetrack of that size can't handle the crowd. True, there's no infield, but there's also no backyard at Churchill or Pimlico. There's no excuse to run out of concessions. There's no excuse for not having shuttles to area train stations. It's ineptitude, pure and simple.

cj
05-18-2015, 10:50 PM
I once saw a football game at old Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia on a Monday night. The upper deck urinals were along a wall with a sloping ceiling formed by the upper deck seating bowl. The last urinal on the right, where the ceiling was lowest, could only be used by Willie Shoemaker.

Meanwhile, while there were only 6 urinals, there were several semicircular group troth wash basins operated by a foot pedal. I'm sure some of you have seen these. Due to the shortage of urinals, the Eagle fans were simply standing in a semicircle and peeing into the wash basins.

I went to Colts games as a kid. I remember men pissing in the sinks when the lines were long. You do what you must I guess. Curtisonthebay can back my story up I'm sure.

thespaah
05-18-2015, 11:04 PM
No infield at Belmont.
If NYRA opened the infield in the manner of Pim or CD, they could get 200,000 on the property.
But at what cost?...I think the attendance cap is a sound decision.

dirty moose
05-18-2015, 11:30 PM
Went to New York for my first Belmont in 2004. Born and raised in L.a so I had santa Anita and Hollywood to compare..... Was in awe of Belmont, so much history it was awesome. From the people, the city, everything, it was fantastic.

I've never been for SA or Del Mar
How can you compare the beauty of SA or Del Mar to Belmont?

TJDave
05-19-2015, 12:24 AM
Since this thread has turned into a pissing match I'd like to contribute my experience:

I've been in bars in Mexico where the urinal was at the bar. Brilliant.

Ocala Mike
05-19-2015, 02:20 PM
And, to follow up on Dave's post, I've drunk some tap beer that tasted like it was directly hooked up to the urinal.

Rex Phinney
05-19-2015, 02:48 PM
New York City/Elmont is neither Baltimore or Louisville; what I am getting at is big time racing at NYRA Will not end with the Belmont Stakes.

There will be the rest of the summer meet, Saratoga, and the Fall Meet at NYRA.

Therefore if American Pharoah wins the TC and run at Saratoga he would be a huge draw; and if he would continue his winning ways and run in the JCGC during the Fall Meet, NYRA would cap a very successful season.

Do you really think he would race in NY? He is not a NY based horse. Baffert doesn't even want to take him there to train for the Belmont.

I think Baffert might send him out for the Haskell or the Travers but I think the JCGC is a real stretch. Remember Baffert can run the Pacific Classic on dirt now.

Rex Phinney
05-19-2015, 02:54 PM
If you had asked me last year judging from the employees attitude on Belmont day what their preferred fix to the problems would be:

A) Facility improvements
B) Better better planning and crowd management
C) Just allow less people thru the gate

I'd have put every employee I dealt with on C, none of them seemed truly concerned with any of the shortcomings.

Seeing as the cap is now in place, the powers that be at NYRA appear to have the same attitude.

nijinski
05-19-2015, 03:50 PM
Grenig tweeted

Belmont Stakes post time pushed back from 6:36 to 6:50 p.m. Last post that day is 8:12 p.m Sunset is 8:37 p.m. Play fast Goo-Goo Dolls.

charm city whizz
05-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Since this thread has turned into a pissing match I'd like to contribute my experience:

I've been in bars in Mexico where the urinal was at the bar. Brilliant.

Can't stop laughing

charm city whizz
05-19-2015, 05:38 PM
For the 20th time last years Belmont was brutal to be at, myself along with tanner12oz had seats in the 2R section which was prime real estate and making bets was brutal and the cell service was brutal

As a side note what were the odds that I would be seated right next to another PA member

Out of all the things that weren't wrong that day the one that bothered me the most were the shadows that made me clueless to what was going on in something I really cared about, I want to go but know if it's a nice day I won't be able to be

Was wondering if PA had any problems seeing the race from where he was

Cratos
05-19-2015, 08:37 PM
Do you really think he would race in NY? He is not a NY based horse. Baffert doesn't even want to take him there to train for the Belmont.

I think Baffert might send him out for the Haskell or the Travers but I think the JCGC is a real stretch. Remember Baffert can run the Pacific Classic on dirt now.
Yes I think the horse would race at both Saratoga and the Fall Meet at Belmont if he wins the TC.1

The last time I looked, Baffert wasn't the horse's owner and although a top trainer he still answers to the owner.

The Pacific Classic is a top G1 race, but it is not the JCGC by any stretch of the imagination.

Rex Phinney
05-19-2015, 09:01 PM
Yes I think the horse would race at both Saratoga and the Fall Meet at Belmont if he wins the TC.1

The last time I looked, Baffert wasn't the horse's owner and although a top trainer he still answers to the owner.

The Pacific Classic is a top G1 race, but it is not the JCGC by any stretch of the imagination.

Baffert won't even train the horse at Belmont and you think AP will end up running there in the fall.

The JCGC is really important..... To people in New York.

I don't think it matters what we think, if he wins the TC he is done racing.

ultracapper
05-19-2015, 11:04 PM
Why would he be done racing? I don't know if he could be expected to be a top dollar stud. He'd be better off running through the summer of 2017.

Robert Fischer
05-19-2015, 11:31 PM
Why would he be done racing? I don't know if he could be expected to be a top dollar stud. He'd be better off running through the summer of 2017.

yes, a triple crown would guarantee that he'd be a top dollar stud.

taxicab
05-19-2015, 11:42 PM

:lol:
Vintage...

ultracapper
05-19-2015, 11:47 PM

I don't know. If his get won't be expected to have a propensity for the more classic distances, the price might start high, but his get would, like him, have to outrun their pedigree for him to sustain the high price. When I look at the more expensive studs, I know what to expect from their kids. Breeders don't like guessing.

Robert Fischer
05-19-2015, 11:58 PM
I don't know. If his get won't be expected to have a propensity for the more classic distances, the price might start high, but his get would, like him, have to outrun their pedigree for him to sustain the high price. When I look at the more expensive studs, I know what to expect from their kids. Breeders don't like guessing.

depends on what you mean by 'top dollar stud'

if you mean he'll be the most expensive stud-fee out of all the top sires , then no

if you mean he'll have a significant stud fee, and be sold in a significant stud deal, then yes

Trips
05-20-2015, 12:28 AM
Real chance AP's stud rights have already been sold as the rumors go.
Likely with an increase if he completes the TC.
There were some serious numbers tossed around recently.

thespaah
05-20-2015, 07:47 AM
And, to follow up on Dave's post, I've drunk some tap beer that tasted like it was directly hooked up to the urinal.
it's not? :lol:

thespaah
05-20-2015, 07:52 AM
Men are much more efficient. Studies show that the average woman takes twice as long to go to the rest room as the average man. So in new public venues, they are putting in a lot more capacity in the women's rooms than in the men's.
Yep...It's called "potty parity"...Some women prefer to go to the restroom in groups. Presumably this is where the secrets of the feminine mystique are discussed. Also this is where women in nightclubs let down their guard and discuss what is really their opinion of this guy or that guy.
Needless to say, the rest room for women anyway is not just a place to take care of necessary bodily functions. It is sort of an anti room for social exchange.
Hence. the line goes out the door, down the hall, through the venue exits and up the street.

thespaah
05-20-2015, 07:55 AM
HA.....Ever see the 'rules for men"....
They are all labeled "1.".....The list includes "we have to lift the seat up. You can put it down"...
I never saw what the big deal was/is.
But some women get furious if the seat is not down....
Hey, they want equality. then seat duty is part of that.

thespaah
05-20-2015, 08:03 AM
Real chance AP's stud rights have already been sold as the rumors go.
Likely with an increase if he completes the TC.
There were some serious numbers tossed around recently.
Stud rights?....
Done...
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/92087/zayat-sells-stud-rights-to-american-pharoah
My thinking is once AP has concluded his three year old season, he's done racing.
Right now Lloyds of London is waiting on a rather large electronic fund transfer which is the first installment on the insurance premium for AP's 'studliness' coverage.
Which brings to mind a ratehr intriguing question which ties to a OP's comment....Would the owner of the stud rights write into the contract that if AP wins the Belmont and with that the TC, have a caveat that bars the horse from any further racing, which would essentially do as the OP suggests, end AP's racing career?

Tom
05-20-2015, 09:33 AM
For those going to attend, Steve Byk interviewed a NYRA suit in the first hour of Tuesday's show. Lots of info about Belmont Day.

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Last year's Belmont was the worst experience I've ever had at a sporting event, and I was at Pimlico for the blackout. The 2014 Belmont was Exhibit A as to why the Breeders' Cup wants no part of Belmont. They can't handle the crowd, from the lines getting in to the lines getting out, to running out of anything and everything, to the plumbing, the LIRR, etc....

There's no reason a racetrack of that size can't handle the crowd. True, there's no infield, but there's also no backyard at Churchill or Pimlico. There's no excuse to run out of concessions. There's no excuse for not having shuttles to area train stations. It's ineptitude, pure and simple.2014 was the most crowded I have ever seen.

And I will agree with one thing. I had to wait for a very long time to get into Belmont and I was a reserved seat ticket holder. I arrived a little later than usual...just about post time for the 1st...I never had to wait that long in the past, even when arriving at a similar time. That was really the only inconvenience I experienced compared to recent past years.

Parking lot was much EASIER to get out of in 2014 than prior years, for some reason. Green lot parking...with easy access to Cross Island Parkway...

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2015, 12:34 PM
For the 20th time last years Belmont was brutal to be at, myself along with tanner12oz had seats in the 2R section which was prime real estate and making bets was brutal and the cell service was brutal

As a side note what were the odds that I would be seated right next to another PA member

Out of all the things that weren't wrong that day the one that bothered me the most were the shadows that made me clueless to what was going on in something I really cared about, I want to go but know if it's a nice day I won't be able to be

Was wondering if PA had any problems seeing the race from where he wasNo problems at all...never remember shadows being a problem seeing the horses down the stretch...then again, I always bring binoculars...

And cell service ALWAYS is a problem...every single year...when you get that many people crammed into one location, it's going to be a problem...nature of the cell beast.

Hell, when there are a lot of people in Penn Station in NYC, it's impossible to get a cell signal...it is what it is when it comes to cell...and that's definitely not a NYRA problem, unless for some reason they are rejecting all the money the cell phone companies are throwing at them to allow them to erect a new tower on site...which they aren't...

cj
05-20-2015, 03:02 PM
No problems at all...never remember shadows being a problem seeing the horses down the stretch...then again, I always bring binoculars...

And cell service ALWAYS is a problem...every single year...when you get that many people crammed into one location, it's going to be a problem...nature of the cell beast.

Hell, when there are a lot of people in Penn Station in NYC, it's impossible to get a cell signal...it is what it is when it comes to cell...and that's definitely not a NYRA problem, unless for some reason they are rejecting all the money the cell phone companies are throwing at them to allow them to erect a new tower on site...which they aren't...

As far as the cell service goes, a lot of sporting events now make provisions in advance for big events since it is, by now, a well known issue by just about everyone. I think I even saw an announcement from Churchill advertising increased service for the Derby.

elhelmete
05-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Anyone putting on a show like this would do well to hire the people who produced Coachella the past two years, this year particularly.

tubesockshakur
05-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Anytime 100k are gathered for any event it's going to be a cluster k. My only Belmont was the smarty jones year and other than getting the train I thought it was a great time.

highnote
05-21-2015, 04:24 PM

Interesting note: Alydar had a higher stud fee than Affirmed even though Affirmed won the TC and beat Alydar in all three TC races and Affirmed beat Alydar in 7 out of 10 times.

They also raced each other 6 times as two year olds with Affirmed winning 5 of those.

Stillriledup
05-21-2015, 11:17 PM
Interesting note: Alydar had a higher stud fee than Affirmed even though Affirmed won the TC and beat Alydar in all three TC races and Affirmed beat Alydar in 7 out of 10 times.

They also raced each other 6 times as two year olds with Affirmed winning 5 of those.

Alydar turned out to be a much better sire, so the market was right about that. Alydar was a 'fancier" horse looks wise as well as better breeding, right? That was probably a pretty big factor. Alydar didn't switch leads too often, that was his undoing in some (or all) of his losses to Affirmed.

thespaah
05-22-2015, 12:01 AM
As far as the cell service goes, a lot of sporting events now make provisions in advance for big events since it is, by now, a well known issue by just about everyone. I think I even saw an announcement from Churchill advertising increased service for the Derby.
I have a friend who is a fiober tech with Ericsson which bought all of Sprint's fiber network. He told me that for example Charlotte Motor Speedway is literally saturated with capacity so there is never a dropped call, slow internet, etc....The arena in downtown Charlotte as well as the football stadium were upfitted to improve cell and wifi service....In an article I read on a website dedicated to the telecomm industry, this is a trend.
Lots of users, mostly using their phones and tablets for social media demand service.

highnote
05-22-2015, 09:11 AM
Alydar turned out to be a much better sire, so the market was right about that. Alydar was a 'fancier" horse looks wise as well as better breeding, right? That was probably a pretty big factor. Alydar didn't switch leads too often, that was his undoing in some (or all) of his losses to Affirmed.

Winning a TC definitely enhances stud fees. If Affirmed had not won a TC his fee probably would have been lower.

Alydar had a more fashionable pedigree than Affirmed.

Alydar had Raise A Native, Native Dancer, Teddy and Man O' War on his sire side. He had Nasrullah, Nearco, Bull Lea and Blenheim on his damsire side.

Affirmed had a similar sire side, but his damsire side was not as good.

So Alydar probably got bred to better mares than Affirmed which in turn produced better more productive racing and breeding stock.

lurker
05-22-2015, 02:26 PM
The last time I went to the Belmont Stakes getting out was a complete disaster. The LIRR was horrible. When the train got to Jamaica the train doors opened on the wrong side, the non platform side. Could have been a disaster. Advice for anyone going by railroad, take the train to Bellerose and walk back to the track. It's about an 8 block walk to a back gate that puts you into the back of the parking lot on the LIRR side of the track. You can walk(its a long walk) or take one of the shuttle buses from the last stop on that side. Much better option.

highnote
05-22-2015, 03:20 PM
My wife and I went to the Belmont Stakes about 16 years ago. She was a few months pregnant. After the races we waited on an extremely long line to get the train back to Manhattan. The people were packed like sardines on the ramp down to the entrance for the train. There were a lot of drunks and a big brawl broke out just a few feet from us and there was no place to move because of the density of the crowd. I was finally able to push through the crowd and get my wife away from the fight, but it was a little scary for a few moments.

That was the last time I took the train to Belmont. We drove many other times and parking was not usually an issue. We could always tell the size of the crowd by how far away we had to park in that huge lot across the street.

We never really had much trouble getting to the track on the Cross Island Parkway. We used to know all the good exits and parking lot entrances.

It's been so long since I've been there that I've forgotten my way around don't want to relearn. I doubt I'd ever go again. Too many amateurs. I was a paddock handicapper and there were too many people on Belmont Stakes day in the paddock area. Not fun.

I'd much rather go on a routine Saturday when few people are there. There are always good horses running at Belmont.

The last time I went to the Belmont Stakes getting out was a complete disaster. The LIRR was horrible. When the train got to Jamaica the train doors opened on the wrong side, the non platform side. Could have been a disaster. Advice for anyone going by railroad, take the train to Bellerose and walk back to the track. It's about an 8 block walk to a back gate that puts you into the back of the parking lot on the LIRR side of the track. You can walk(its a long walk) or take one of the shuttle buses from the last stop on that side. Much better option.